PDA

View Full Version : 3 strikes and youre out!!!

Qtec
11-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Not for the GOPs it seems.

[ QUOTE ]
Backers move to protect DeLay position
Change would end requirement that he step aside if indicted

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:58 p.m. ET Nov. 16, 2004

WASHINGTON - Supporters of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay proposed a Republican rules change Tuesday that would protect the Texanís leadership position if he were to be indicted by a Texas grand jury that already charged three of his associates.

House Republicans are likely to approve Wednesday the change in the rule that would force him to step aside if indicted. The show of support would be an endorsement of DeLayís position that the Travis County investigation is a partisan attack.

Currently, rules of the House Republican Conference, which comprises all House GOP members, requires leaders to resign the party post if they are indicted for a felony punishable by two or more years in jail. The proposed change would eliminate the step-aside requirement for nonfederal indictments.

The Texas grand jury is investigating alleged campaign finance irregularities in 2002 state legislative races. Republican victories in those contests enabled DeLay ultimately to win support for a congressional redistricting plan that resulted in the GOPís gain of five seats in this monthís elections.

In September, the grand jury indicted three political operatives associated with DeLay and eight companies, alleging campaign finance violations related to corporate money spent in the 2002 legislative races. The corporate donations were made to Texans for a Republican Majority, a political action committee created with help from DeLay.

In October, the House ethics committee rebuked DeLay for appearing to link political donations to a legislative favor <font color="blue"> soliciting a bribe! </font color> and improperly persuading U.S. aviation authorities to intervene in the Texas redistricting dispute <hr /></blockquote>

Where are these 'values' that the GOPs are always touting? What are they?
Do these values extend beyond homos and abortion?

When it comes to protecting one of their own, it seems that all principals , ethics and sense of duty to the US citizens are throw out the window.
Please dont tell me that this is partisan. He has already been caught twice.

Q

Gayle in MD
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, with their new found power, I'm afraid this is only the beginning of what is to come. Remember, we are talking about the party that has made every effort to cripple the investigation into 9/11, in spite of the wishes of families of the victims. They have even tried to cut off the funds for the investigation, which BTW are a fraction of what they spent investigating the Lewinski matter.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
..."if indicted, I will not run; if convicted, I will not serve" I think it's a Rebublican campaign slogan

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ..."if indicted, I will not run; if convicted, I will not serve" I think it's a Rebublican campaign slogan <hr /></blockquote>

The Clinton Legacy

The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad

* According to our best information, 40 government officials were indicted or convicted in the wake of Watergate. A reader computes that there was a total of 31 Reagan era convictions, including 14 because of Iran-Contra and 16 in the Department of Housing &amp; Urban Development scandal. 47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned. A key difference between the Clinton story and earlier ones was the number of criminals with whom he was associated before entering the White House.

eg8r
11-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Wally,

What do you think you are doing. All the libs think the only thing wrong with Clinton was his participation in a "non-sex" scandal with Monica.

eg8r

Qtec
11-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Source?

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Source?

Q <hr /></blockquote>

http://prorev.com/legacy.htm

<font color="blue">Q, I can't vouch for all of this but I am sure it carries as much truth as Gayle and wolfdancer's broad-brush statements about Republicans. </font color>

Qtec
11-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Wally, please dont put ME in the same grou as G and WD.

I check my facts.

Q

hondo
11-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Nice job, Wally. If I said you were so ugly you
had to sneak up on a glass of water, instead of
addressing your appearance, you would just tell
me my mamma wears combat boots.

Gayle in MD
11-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Nice try Walley, but, why not address the statements I made in this post? Aren't you a little tired of focussing on your Clinton hatred? This seems to be an epidemic among right-wingers. Muddy up the issues at hand by focussing on the past. Although they never want to talk about their distinction of being the only party which actually had their president Impeached from office, LOL.

Bill Clinton didn't put us into a quagmire like the one we're in now. Also he didn't leave office leaving the huge debt that many predict after Little Bushy finally leaves.

Why do YOU think that George Bush and his bunch fought so hard to prevent, dismantle, underfund, and basically undermine the 9/11 investigations?

I'm all ears, Walley....

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
11-18-2004, 08:32 AM
This sight is an absolute joke! I'm surprised at you
Walley....

eg8r
11-18-2004, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you a little tired of focussing on your Clinton hatred? This seems to be an epidemic among right-wingers. <hr /></blockquote> Much like the lefties, blindly forgive and forget epidemic.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Nice try Walley, but, why not address the statements I made in this post? <hr /></blockquote>

the post

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Unfortunately, with their new found power, I'm afraid this is only the beginning of what is to come. Remember, we are talking about the party that has made every effort to cripple the investigation into 9/11, in spite of the wishes of families of the victims. They have even tried to cut off the funds for the investigation, which BTW are a fraction of what they spent investigating the Lewinski matter.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle, I said the Republicans were wrong for changing the rule. I believe my response was to Ross's post about the same subject. I was just pointing out that the Democrats are no angels either.

Gayle in MD
11-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Let me make myself better understood, Walley, I am neither for the republicans or the democrats. Sometimes I vote republican, I voted for Ronald Reagen, for example, sometimes I vote for the democratic contender.

The Nixon administration was a disgrace as far as ethics go, but Personally, I think that Nixon understood foreign policy, and the importance of maintaining our allies as well as if not better than most presidents. He was exposed by a Newspaper, not by a partisan witch hunt.

The money wasted by the republicans on the Clinton investigations really sticks in my craw, because I do think that there was a right wing conspiracy afoot during the whole Clinton presidency. I don't suppose you would want to address how much money was wasted on Whitewater, and they couldn't get anything on the Clintons. For heavens sake, Susan McDoogle has stated many times that the investigators were only interested in digging up a scandal against Clinton. I'm surprised the man could get anything done, but he did keep us out of any extended war, people around the world loved him, the europeans thought this country was nuts to make such a big deal about his personal life. IMO, Clinton was for the little guy, the average middle class people in this country whose lives are being negatively affected IMHO by George Bush, his ties to the Millionaire elite, the Enrons, Pharmacuetical big business, and the extreme right, aka The Christian Right Wing.

And, as I think I have stated before, if a man lies about his sex life, that's one thing, if he lies about the reasons he presents as reasons for going to war, actually pressures people behind the scenes to justify it, with suspect information and intelligence from a convicted felon, to me, that is a much greater offense. This statement is well documented in not one but many books which are out there for the reading.

Frankly, I don't care what any presidents did in the past, this is today, and my many many worries about what I see in George Bush, overshadow any personality issues in my mind. This is a very dangerous man, who goes off half cocked, disregards warnings from all those around him who know much more about war than he'll ever know, and does whatthe ****
he wants and to hell with the rest of the world. He has now begun to surround himself with the folks who proved themselves to be YES-men and women in his last four years, and will be IMHO without any contrasting opinions.

Now, we're hearing about his plan to medicate our children, for god's sake man, this guy is nuts! That is what I think, and I have a right to my opinion just as much as you do.

Now if you want to continue to stalk me around the board with all your sarcasm directed at me, hey, have at it! I'm a big girl, I can take it. That is nothing compared to watching the news every single night and seeing how many of our young men have lost thier lives. Reading the papers every morning and hearing about illegal aliens who will drive down wages, take away jobs, and get our hard earned benefits by breaking our laws. Reading that the president's policy may bring about massive drugging of our children. Reading about how his policy's encourage the exporting of American jobs. The projected debt we will face.

I usually see things done in every administration that I don't agree with. And also, I am not in absolute adortaion of any presidents, unlike you and Ed, except for Jimmy Carter, who although he was not very successful as a leader, I think that he is just such a really fine human being.

This is the first administration since Johnson, who was BTW a democrat, that has committed in my opinion many many poor, no, actually stupid NAIONAL decisions. I believe with all my heart that this war is wrong, will makes things worse for all concerned, ourselves and the Iraqi's, and that George Bush has grown the number of people around the world who hate us to a new and dangerous level.

In spite of your continued attacks against my intelligence, I assure you that I am an avid reader, and have read more than twenty books, cover to cover about this administration, not to mention that I am a complete news junkie.

My opinions may be totally far left as regards my take on George Bush, but I certainly do not consider myself to be far left. I believe in prayer in the schools, for example, but I don't believe in religeous impact as regards how we choose our presidents, or the president using his office through appointments to reflect the wishes of ONE religeous group in this country, since we have many varried religeous and spirtual groups here in America.

If my wish not see see women back in back alleys, or using coat hangers when they do not wish to bring a child into this world makes me in your view left wing, then that's your opinion, you don't even know me.

With Bush in office, there is much more to worry about than being trashed and insulted on an internet forum! And before you deny it, just take a look back at your posts, and how ofter you sarcastically drag my name into your posts.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religeon, in philosophy as cause for withdrawing from a friend"

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Q, "I check my facts."
I guess the implication is that G and WD don't?

I only make two types of posts regarding politics:
I'll quote an article that I've read, and made my own assessment about....if it's of interst to anyone else, I'm sure they'll check out it's veracity........
Any other posts I make are from my own paranoia, about the only President, whose policies I fear
G...were using code names here?...I believe, does a much better job....

Qtec
11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Q, "I check my facts."
I guess the implication is that G and WD don't? <hr /></blockquote>

Ok. you have assumed correctly.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Gayle,

This "all-right/all-left" and no in-between mentality frustrates you as much as it does me because neither of us are all one-sided, just intellegent, worried people of this country. I never ever thought I'd become so depressed over how so many of people actually make themselves believe that Bush has not only done no wrong, but rather that he's outstanding, and this enlightenment has even affected mine and my personal friendships, I admit that fully. I understand that having an opposite political opinion just because there happens to be two major political parties is par for the course and expected, but finding out that people totally avoid admitting the facts over the failures to the point that they resort to personal, non polital based attacks against other, can only seem to defend their views with out of date Clinton stuff cuz that's all they have at their disposal, is so very disturbing and beside the "real issues."

All of your message was, to me, outstanding, and I expect it was written in a continous, non theatrecal fashion, based purely out of worry and dissapointment over what we've learned, and mostly where we are going to end up in the future. I read it thoroughly and with a natural human side for it's real life associations.

Now that Bush has all of his yes people and no logical, challenging souls who will say "Mr President, you might consider this to be a mistake",,,damn, we are staged for developing the USA into probably the deepest pit it's ever seen, or worse. Gayle, you and I share some saddness and dissapointment and certainly worry, but I only seem to see the so-called right wingers express indignance and self selected ignorance, much like an adolesence would. If you've ever read Lord Of The Flies you'll understand where I feel this country's people are being led, it's almost exactly the same, with just about the same style of leadership with much the same dumbfounded followers as on that island, hunting down the others just because they have the ignorance of unbridled power. Can you find a difference? I can't.

I really wish I could accept a less stern expression about all of this, because that would mean that things weren't as seriously periolous as it really is, pure danger and increasing each day, all orchestrated and generated by one man and a horde of "little boys on the island", looking for heads to place on a stick.

It is sad, really sad. God help us Gayle...sid

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
No, actually I implied....you ASSumed.

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
"Lord of the flies"...an interesting analogy

eg8r
11-18-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, actually I implied....you ASSumed. <hr /></blockquote> I know this really does not affect the truth behind all this, however, your post "the implication" is stating that Q implied. It was your assumption that he was implying you and Gayle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 12:38 PM
say, what??? Are you trying to confuse me, with your rhetoric, more then I already am?
I'm going down to my garage and hit balls, now...my head hurts

Gayle in MD
11-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Wow, I can't believe you mentioned "Lord of the Flies" as I had been thinking the same thing since my return to CCB, LOL.
Well Friend, they won't be able to propagate all this blind "Undocumented" BS for long, as the news seems to support our worries and concerns more and more everday.
We were'nt bombarded with beheadings every week until this idiot and his pupeteers threw caution to the wind and ignored all the sound warnings from their informed experts and went off half cocked into a quagmire.

Another thing I notice is that every time this country digs its way into an unwinnable war, and can't get out, there is an ignorant cowboy from Texas in the oval office.

Did you ever think, after an election, a newspaper in another country would run a headline like "How can 40,000,000 be so Dumb" Those were my sentiments exactly, and, these mouse potatos on here better get used to me sounding off, because there's going to be no let up from me until Little Bushy and the Bushyites are long gone.

This war was a stupid mistake, no question, and we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg on the devastating results that we will have to bare as a nation. As an American, never have I been so disappointed, never have I been so concerned, never have I been so heartbroken. I know just how you feel Sid, and there are many many more like us. The important thing is not to let the puffed up, smug, powermongers of today suppress our collective voice with their methods of mass distraction.

Love,
Gayle....