PDA

View Full Version : You Bet Your Life

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2004, 08:42 AM
From AZBilliards:

You Bet Your Life (http://www.azbilliards.com/youbetyourlife/)
The Danny Diliberto Collection of Tales From the Road

Here's an excerpt (http://www.azbilliards.com/youbetyourlife/excerpt.cfm)

Popcorn
11-17-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't want to over state anything but Guys like Danny aren't going to around that much longer and some of this small history of the sport is going to be lost. This is right from the horses mouth and you will be missing something if you don't get it, I am so glad he finally got around to doing it, Danny is one of the most interesting and worldly guys you will ever meet. I haven't gotten my copy of the CD yet but, it looks like it is very much in his own words and should be very entertaining. Danny is an original character and true "Raconteur", a guy a writer would have a hard time inventing. This is not an ad but a short tribute to an interesting guy you now will have a chance to get to know as I have for over 40 years.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks

If AZB is ever fast enough so I can actually get on it I may buy a copy.

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2004, 10:42 AM
You're welcome Wally. Here's the link to the PayPal site to buy the book:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

Stretch
11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
THANKS 9BG!! That was a GREAT read. See i live for story's like that. The lines some of these guys come up with lol St. ~~read the whole thing like Luther watched haha~~

SpiderMan
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Wendy,

The AZB site calls this a book, and there is a rectangular picture of cover art, but all the text mentions is a CD. If I order from AZB, do I get the actual book or just a copy of the CD?

SpiderMan (I read in bed or on the john, not at the computer /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is one of those "books" that are on CD. In this case, I believe Danny is recounting his tales verbally on the CD.

tateuts
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
That was a great read. I'm for sure getting one when A-Z starts working right. I'm not much of a gambler (at least not in the conventional sense - I sure rode the NASDAQ full tilt) but I enjoy reading these stories.

I also think it's admirable that they will donate the profits to help Janice and Blud out with their medical bills.

Chris

tateuts
11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
It's probably text on a CD. I just bought it by clicking on the "buy now" link in the A-Z article. We should be able to print it out to read.

Chris

Rod
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
You get a cd. There trying to get it published but it's going to be next year.

SpiderMan
11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> You get a cd. There trying to get it published but it's going to be next year. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. I'm very interested in having a copy, but I'm into books of the traditional type, so I'll wait.

SpiderMan

Qtec
11-18-2004, 07:41 AM
These guys are just gamblers. Its got nothing to do with pool!
I dont see how you can have respect for people who 'dump'. They are basically just con-men.
This just confirms that you cant bet on a pool game, which in turn is not good for the sport.
These guys arent pool players, they are just gamblers who would bet on two fly's crawling up a window.
This post should be on the Non-Pool side. JMO

Qtec

Popcorn
11-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Even if what you are saying is true, and it is to a degree. The book is an insight in to a world few have been a part of through the eyes of one of the best players ever who was there. The book can be read and enjoyed without passing judgment on the people involved. You can't change history, just study it and maybe learn from it. To be honest Most people would not want to live that kind of life. It sounds cool and colorful but in reality it can be a difficult and even treacherous existence best viewed from a distance but no less interesting. I have known Danny for over 40 years and would not pretend to paint him as an angel or a saint. Just a guy who has lived an interesting life and is capable of writing about it. I myself would not have chosen that particular excerpt to use and I don't think it may be a true representation of what is in the book. The story about Camp may or may not have happened, I don't know about betting on the wrong side of a dump just to get action.

I will say Camp would bet on almost anything. I used to go to the track with him and I never bet but just went because he didn't drive and I would take him. He could not understand how I could just sit there and never make a bet, as much as I could not understand him betting every race, even if he hadn't read the form. We would go out to eat and he would get the cheapest thing on the menu. He may have $3,000 or $4,000. in his pocket but would never spend money that he may need to make a bet if he didn't have to. He could be totally pumped up, but he still got his clothes from the Good will and they looked like it. In Fat's book he said he saw Camp sleep on a park bench with a pocket full of money because he would not spend it on a room for the night. I never saw him buy anything. He was a great player by the way, one of the originators of One pocket and one of it's greatest players. Towards the end of his life I would play him and I would always stay around the rack. I knew I could play safe by just putting him up-table even with balls open because his skills were so weak now, but I never did it would have seemed unfair. Up close and making moves though, he could still play. I really learned a lot from him.

Dumping is probably the most despicable act in all of the gambling world. The fact that Danny has included such stories does not mean he himself was involved, he is just reporting what happened. Few players will dump a backer, the worst they usually do is get into an overly tough games with someone else's money and take a shot. Backers know this, they don't expect every game to be a robbery and anyway, they like the action. the point is, read the book, don't read the book, that is what happened and Danny has written about it. Maybe It is not your cup of tea.

Qtec
11-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Popcorn, I,m sure its a great read and probably worth buying. I,m not knocking the guy or the book, its the pool-gambling connection that irks me.
Its just that in my experience, gambling never brings out the best in people.

Q

Williebetmore
11-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Popcorn,
You are correct, Danny D. is a true character. I was fortunate to have him over for a dinner and a 5 hour straight pool lesson about 2 months ago. I will tell you that it was one of the most entertaining and informative evenings of my life. He was as funny as any Vegas comedian, and serious as a heart attack in his true love of the game.

Popcorn
11-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I just ordered his book last night and really look forward to reading it.