PDA

View Full Version : ethics, shmethics

Ross
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
From the party of "values":

GOP Pushes Rule Change to Protect DeLay's Post

House Republicans proposed changing their rules last night to allow members indicted by state grand juries to remain in a leadership post, a move that would benefit Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) in case he is charged by a Texas grand jury that has indicted three of his political associates, according to GOP leaders.
House Republicans adopted the indictment rule in 1993, when they were trying to end four decades of Democratic control of the House, in part by highlighting Democrats' ethical lapses. They said at the time that they held themselves to higher standards than prominent Democrats such as then-Ways and Means Chairman Dan Rostenkowski (Ill.), who eventually pleaded guilty to mail fraud and was sentenced to prison.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54572-2004Nov16.html

Wally_in_Cincy
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
If that's the rule and he is indicted, then he should resign. The GOP is wrong and hopefully they will admit it very soon.

Gayle in MD
11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all, Just like em!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
I think by "higher standards" they meant, they hadn't been indicted yet

highsea
11-17-2004, 03:56 PM
The dems are after him because he chased them down when they snuck off and hid in Oklahoma to avoid the redistricting vote in Texas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> If that's the rule and he is indicted, then he should resign. The GOP is wrong and hopefully they will admit it very soon. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, IMO, the Senate Republicans are conservative but the House Republicans are nutso! They are to the right of Bush and that ain't easy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ross
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Not just the Dems -- don't forget the Republican led House Ethics committee has censured him three times (I think) for ethics violations! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

highsea
11-18-2004, 05:48 AM
The change in the rule was approved. It should be noted that this rule applies only to Republicans, not the entire House. The Democrats have a similar rule that applies to committee leaders, but not top party leaders.

It's ironic that Pelosi said "Republicans have reached a new low", when the Dems don't even have such a rule that applies to their own leadership!

The rule change allows for a 30 day review of the indictment by the GOP steering committee to determine if the indictment is politically motivated. If the indictment is not determined to be politically motivated, the person would still be required to step aside.

So I don't see this as tossing ethics out the window. It makes sense to review the indictment before requiring someone to step down from a leadership position that years of seniority have entitled him to hold.

Qtec
11-18-2004, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> The change in the rule was approved. It should be noted that this rule applies only to Republicans, not the entire House. The Democrats have a similar rule that applies to committee leaders, but not top party leaders.
<font color="blue">Apologetic as ever, but you are right. It does only apply to Reps so why bring the Dems into it?</font color>

It's ironic that Pelosi said "Republicans have reached a new low", when the Dems don't even have such a rule that applies to their own leadership!

The rule change allows for a 30 day review of the indictment by the GOP steering committee to determine if the indictment is politically motivated.<font color="blue">Sounds like a good get-out clause. Who determines if it is politicaly motivated? </font color> If the indictment is not determined to be politically motivated, the person would still be required to step aside.<font color="blue">Whoopee!</font color>

So I don't see this as tossing ethics out the window. It makes sense to review the indictment before requiring someone to step down from a leadership position that years of seniority have entitled him to hold. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I dont know the hisory of this rule but I,ll bet that it was one of those "look, we are so much more ethical than the Dems" kinda rules. Like a drunk at the bar in a pool hall, they 'talk' a good game, but when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is.........</font color>

Puke!

Q