PDA

View Full Version : BSACA DVD's

jpeters
11-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi There everyone. This is Jim Peters. I recently found this chat room and signed up and posted a message regarding the excitement about the Billiard Sanctuary DVD's I recently purchased from Tim White. This is my first time ever using such a forum, if that is the correct wording for this. In fact I am fairly new with computers. On the other hand I thought I was fairly expirenced at billiards and new a lot until just recently. I took some time today to log back on and read some of your comments. I first felt like not ever doing this again (using this) and then I thought about it and felt that I would give it one more try. So, if anyone wants to know about me then just ask. I have posted some personal info that I was not aware of doing before.
Up until now, I did not ever know about billiard instruction existing, expecially like this. I just wanted to know from others who have seen them what they thought so I may have someone to work with in developing and talking about them together through my practicing. There are some things that for over 10 years I have been approaching all wrong. Such as how to work with balls that are touching each other. I learned in slow motion how they move together when you hit them. I learned that my stance should be straight with my right leg inside and pointed toward the cue ball. The teaching in Volume 1 combined with Volume 6 on this was exactly what I needed to now stroke the cue straight. For so long I was stroking with lots of room between my right hip and my cue stick causing my cue to move side to side exactly how tim decribes what can happen.
It just all makes perfect sense to me. I am benefiting from Tim's videos!! My game has gone from a 5 to close to a 9 in just 2 months. I have won $726.00 in tournaments in the last 2 months, twice what I paid for the videos. That is why I am so excited and had the desire to share that with someone. I have signed up for the April class at the Academy of the Cueing Arts in Vermont and also would like to know from others that have attended how it is? Thank you and Peace to you All.

Popcorn
11-18-2004, 12:18 PM

"This is my first time ever using such a forum, if that is the correct wording for this. In fact I am fairly new with computers. On the other hand I thought I was fairly expirenced at billiards and new a lot until just recently. I took some time today to log back on and read some of your comments. I first felt like not ever doing this again (using this) and then I thought about it and felt that I would give it one more try. So, if anyone wants to know about me then just ask. I have posted some personal info that I was not aware of doing before."

Really, this is your first experience with computers and your main job is the wing engineer for Boeing. You have to keep your stories straight if you want to come here and con us.

DavidMorris
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr> Hi There everyone. This is Jim Peters. I recently found this chat room and signed up and posted a message regarding the excitement about the Billiard Sanctuary DVD's I recently purchased from Tim White. This is my first time ever using such a forum, if that is the correct wording for this. In fact I am fairly new with computers. On the other hand I thought I was fairly expirenced at billiards and new a lot until just recently. I took some time today to log back on and read some of your comments. I first felt like not ever doing this again (using this) and then I thought about it and felt that I would give it one more try. So, if anyone wants to know about me then just ask. I have posted some personal info that I was not aware of doing before.<hr /></blockquote>
No problem, Jim. I don't think anybody directly accused you of being a spammer, but many of us were wary because that's exactly how many spammers operate. If you haven't been involved with the internet much -- especially message boards and newsgroups -- you wouldn't have known that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Participating in other discussions on the board, asking questions, etc. will convince people that your sole purpose here is not to sell (or shill for) these videos.

Welcome to the CCB.

DavidMorris
11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>Really, this is your first experience with computers and your main job is the wing engineer for Boeing. You have to keep your stories straight if you want to come here and con us.<hr /></blockquote>
Hey Popcorn, you know something about this guy that I don't? Not that I'm trying to vouch for him or anything, as I know nothing about him, but I'm an engineer who works with computers for a living, yet I know LOTS of other engineers who have no clue about using a computer outside of their narrowly defined field of work, if even that much.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr>
...This is my first time ever using such a forum,...
<hr /></blockquote>

Like David said, if you had experience using a forum like this you would have realized how your original post sounded like a shill.

Thanks for clearing that up. Stick around. There is some interesting info here.

You might want to check out the forum at www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) There is a guy there called "Zim's rack" who took lessons from Tim White recently.

bomber
11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
still sounds like a sales pitch to me....we will just wait and see...my bet is that he will be around for a day or two only and his posts will be about these dvd's and thats about it...he already posted this on this site once already

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=165644&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=jpeters&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=0 &amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=165644&amp;Search=true#Pos t165644

Fred Agnir
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Really, this is your first experience with computers and your main job is the wing engineer for Boeing. You have to keep your stories straight if you want to come here and con us.
<hr /></blockquote>I know many older engineers that know little to nothing about personal computers.

Fred

woody_968
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Jim, Im glad you came back, and hope you stick around.

Welcome to the CCB

Zims_Rack
12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
JPeters- I have attended the BSACA and am a Certified Instructor thru Tim White. I have the entire set of 10 DVD's and love them. It seems there's an issue of who you really are. Contact me and I'll help you resolve this. I'm also available anytime if you want to talk about the BSACA and the Foundation Course or just have some questions.
Thanks,
Michael Zimmerman, aka: Zim
www.zimsrack.com (http://www.zimsrack.com)

recoveryjones
12-18-2004, 12:59 AM
I also have a set of the 10 DVD's and found them to be quite good. Tim White really explains the stroke in a detailed and professional matter. I have no doubts that they can really help someones game.

I have used many videos and books over the past year and went up one full ranking (B+ to A level) as a result of that info and hours and hours and hours of dedicated practice.Although Tim's videos are good, I find it hard to believe that someone can go from a 5 to a 9 level in SHORT two months.

I'm not saying the orginal poster is BS-ing , however,I'm respectfully sceptical.If you have truly improved that much, that quick,THAT'S AMAZING and I apologize.RJ

ceebee
12-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I too have the Tim White Video Tapes. I really enjoyed watching them and studying what was presented. One thing about about any instructional information, some of it will be way to basic for some accomplished players. But as an accomplished player I can't poo-poo the info, because I am past that point of learning in my abilities, a beginner might need that info to move up in their abilities.

One other thing, no one will ever come up with the MAGIC ANSWER to all of our struggles to play this game, because our anatomy is different. We are short, tall, thin, chunky, some of us can't see perfect &amp; some of us have so many bad habiits built into our game, that we have limited our abilities.

But we can all have fun and enjoy our moments of greatness. If we practice with discipline, we will surely play better, to some extent. If we gird our physical abilities, with knowledge of the rail system &amp; cue ball behavior, we will win more matches.

Jus about every instructor attempts to help their students learn part of the game. Our job as students is incorporate what we've learned into our game... that is the difficult part.

Good Luck to all...

Scott Lee
12-18-2004, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>

I have used many videos and books over the past year and went up one full ranking (B+ to A level) as a result of that info and hours and hours and hours of dedicated practice.Although Tim's videos are good, I find it hard to believe that someone can go from a 5 to a 9 level in SHORT two months.

I'm not saying the orginal poster is BS-ing , however,I'm respectfully sceptical.If you have truly improved that much, that quick,THAT'S AMAZING and I apologize.RJ <hr /></blockquote>

RJ...I would tend to agree with you. Studying videos, DVD's and books can only accomplish so much. Without the benefit of an interactive "hands-on" instructor to help interpret subtle differences in stroke mechanics, body style vs. stance, timing issues, and individual pre-shot routines (among many other topics), I personally find it difficult to believe that someone could advance THAT much in such a short period. If Mr. Peters were an absolute beginner, then such radical improvement might be more reasonable, with sustained hard-core practice. However, for an intermediate player to move up to expert, in 2 months, seems rather far-fetched (although not impossible). As one gains experience and knowledge, improvement comes in small increments, as demonstrated by your statement above, of your own improvements over the past year. Not calling Mr. Peters a liar, but definitely skeptical. It is important to note, that although I hear Tim White is an excellent instructor, and I have viewed his tapes as well (tremendous video production quality), it is interesting to know that he got his teaching credentials from Cue Tech and Randy G! I guess as a competitor he doesn't want to advertise that fact. Score another success story for Cue Tech! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif We'll keep going until we have taught the WORLD! LOL

Scott Lee

pooltchr
12-19-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> , it is interesting to know that he got his teaching credentials from Cue Tech and Randy G! I guess as a competitor he doesn't want to advertise that fact.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott...I suppose you could be right about that. Personally, I make it a point to advertise that I entered the instructor program through Randy's school. But then, I would suspect that a rather large percentage of us have had the benefit of Randy's guidance at some point in our instructional career.
Steve

Popcorn
12-19-2004, 09:09 AM
I would think all teachers regardless how they got started would develop their own style and methods of teaching. It could evolve to where it no longer even resembles their original learning. To mention who you learned from would imply you are teaching the same thing and that may not be true. Probably better to say nothing then to have to explain how what you teach is different if this is the case.

pooltchr
12-19-2004, 09:28 AM
I think many of us do teach the same concepts...the indivuality is more in how the material is presented rather than the content of what we teach. Styles will change, but the foundation remains the same.
Steve

Scott Lee
12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Popcorn...Like he (Steve) said! Amen, Steve!

Popcorn
12-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I think from my experience the teacher is the most important element and for the most part they teach about the same stuff, maybe with a little different approach. Without mentioning any names, I have seen some really bad "player / teachers". Just because someone can play or is a pro, does not mean they can teach. When I say bad, I mean some can't even communicate and have very little patience, they just want to make some money as a perk for being a pro. I also think a pro may have an added problem teaching since the student may be a fan and not really be that comfortable with the pro as they should be as far as asking questions and so on. It should be a close relationship and I haven't seen too many pros that had an interest or really cared a bit about the student beyond the payment.

Scott Lee
12-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Popcorn...Boy, you really hit the nail on the head here!
Communication skills are at the top of the list, for a great teacher (along with patience). Sadly, many top pro players have limited educations, and therefore little ability to communicate well. I have to use different language to convey the same idea to different groups (men, women, children, seniors, etc). Often I try to find an analogy to something else the student does well, to make a point about pool. I have seen SO many times exactly as you describe. A student asks, "How do you shoot that shot?" The "pro" answers: "Like THIS!" and proceeds to demonstrate. That is not enough, in most cases. A student needs a rational explanation of how and why things work the way they do. As important as all that, I still believe that the key is an improved stroke. If a student cannot hit the CB the exact same way, in the exact same place, at LEAST twice in a row (and really 10x should be goal), they are going to difficulty effectively assimilating much information, particularly on strategy and position play, not to mention, any consistency in practicing shots or drills. Very good point! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

jpeters
12-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Mr. Peters here guys, I have just returned from Singapore on business trip and have been reading the responses from many of you. Quite interesting! If it were...I would be talking about other viedoes, instructors, etc. but as I have stated before, I only have these videos and haven't seen the need to purchase anything else for now. I took the videos on the flight and amazingly the flight crew offered to play Volume 10 for the passengers on the big screens. That was by far one of my most memorable flights. One thing I noticed is that during rhythm/timing my brain seems to be attentive to one thing at a time as I am playing. I guess I am still in the conscious learning stages. I noticed that during Tims section on that, that he seems to flow with it all in sync just beautifully. Even though my game is still improving everyday, I wonder when the time will come when I can play like that? When I listen to the music I have trouble focusing on the shots and vise-versa. Any thoughts on listening to music all the time while playing/practicing?
Can't wait until April, anyone going to be in that class?
Happy holiday to you all.

Eric.
12-21-2004, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr> I took the videos on the flight and amazingly the flight crew offered to play Volume 10 for the passengers on the big screens. That was by far one of my most memorable flights.
<hr /></blockquote>

Assuming that this was true and not violating some company policy, wouldn't this open the door for other passengers to do the same? In that case, I usually prefer a good action film or maybe one of Jenna Jamison's DVD's.

Just a thought; we Pool nuts might be able to stomach the Vermont Oyster's DVD's but don't you think it would have bored the hell out of the other passengers? Maybe that is a good thing on a US to Asia flight being that you have to kill 22 hours so might as well sleep...

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
12-21-2004, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>the Vermont Oyster<hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!

I swear, I laugh every time I hear his nickname! Unfortunately, I don't think it does anything for his credibility.

Barbara

JimS
12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
I laugh (sarcastically!) when I hear almost all of the "nicknames" that the marketers come up with. What a crock! I hate meaningless hype. I love and respect the purity of the rolliing balls but I hate the disrespectful hype.

Eric.
12-21-2004, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>the Vermont Oyster<hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!

I swear, I laugh every time I hear his nickname! Unfortunately, I don't think it does anything for his credibility.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure it might have more meaning if he was Australian. I've seen his ad's ni the various Pool mags. He's a pretty guy. The poses he's in kinda resembles something from a Danielle Steele novel cover...

The sad part is that he may be a decent instructor, but some of his schtick leaves his azz wide open for ridicule.

Eric &gt;schticks and schtones

Zims_Rack
12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
In Tim's defense, it's NOT "Vermont Oyster", it's "Australian Oyster"!! The nickname is more meaningful than anyone here could imagine, obviously! I guess if you would like to know what the meaning behind the "Australian Oyster" is, then you'll have to talk to Tim directly.
V/R,
Zim

Popcorn
12-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Why so cryptic, what does it mean. Is it a secret?

Rich R.
12-22-2004, 04:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zims_Rack:</font><hr> In Tim's defense, it's NOT "Vermont Oyster", it's "Australian Oyster"!! <hr /></blockquote>
Zim, I believe you missed Eric's joke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric.
12-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Sorry to offend you, Zim. OK, maybe not truly remorseful but...

Since you put it out on the forum, maybe you can tell everyone the meaning behind his nickname. I mean, it is a curious nickname.

BTW, did you ever ask Tim if he is in fact jpeters?

Eric