PDA

View Full Version : When to stopping making balls?

GStrong
11-18-2004, 12:38 PM
It started as a minor irritant, but now is a constant repeating cycle that is driving me nuts. 8-ball, break, run all my balls except one or leave just the eight, then LOSE! It's been happening probably 80% of the time lately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated??? If you see a tied up ball or the 8 is tied up, when do you stop? Thanks, Gary

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Convential wisdom says you should stop when you realize you can't run the table. Personally I will run a few and try to get an opportunity to break out the stragglers if I can.

But if see I can't get them broken out I will leave 2 or 3 balls on the table, or enough balls that the other guy can't hook me easily.

Of course this is assuming that your opponent also can't run out. If he can that would change the strategy.

bomber
11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
it just depends on your skill level...you can try to break out the tied up balls and run out, or you can play safe...i normally play safe if the balls are super messed up...if i think i can get out and the break out isnt that hard, i go for it...one of the worst things you can do in eight ball is run all the balls off the table and leave just one or two...you are pretty much beat then if your opponent can play

dingle
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Against a decent player, stop at any point where you can play a good safety.

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 03:12 PM
I usually stop after making 2 or 3 balls...not that I want to.....

woody_968
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM
There is no hard set rule. As others have said it depends on your skill level and the layout of the table.

Normally if you cant get out then you dont want to make balls, but if you cant run 7 balls consistently then you better make a few until you get to where you think you can get out when you get the chance.

I would say the location of the balls you leave on the table can be as important as how many. If you have a ball that is easy for you to make, but blocks your opponent, then why make it if you cant get out?

On the other hand if you have a ball that would be hard to get shape on, but you happen to have shape, either make it or lag it in front of a pocket if it will block your opponent.

Look at the layout of the table and decide what balls are key balls that will assist you when you decide to run out, and keep those on the table.

If pocketing a ball puts you in a position to play a lock up safety then make the ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just some random thoughts from my clogged up brain.

Angel_R
11-18-2004, 09:36 PM
If the games starts out with a tie up on the eight ball, I will try and pick a ball to use as the break out. I will try to get the breakout early because I have more balls on the table that can save me if my leave after the breakout isn't that good. Another thing I try to do is get the balls on the rail in as soon as possible. The last thing I want is to have the last ball I have to make be on the rail, unless I see runout all the way. A ball on the rail more often than not means one pocket of choice, unless you think bank. A fairly easy ball for your opponent to play safety on.

I also have a tendency to play offensive pool 99% of the time, which will probably be my downfall. I guess getting back to your question. IMO clusters need to be broke out early to increase your chance of running out, but if you are not the kind of player that can consistently run out, safety may be the way to go until you get a good break out and better run layout!

Rod
11-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Haven't read any the posts but your in trouble when you don't have a plan. If you wanna hope you get there and don't, well you got what you deserve.

Kill off all your troups is the easyest way of loosing. You figrure out the hardest way of going down. You need options. Plural

Rod

GStrong
11-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, my problem is getting better. I just had a stretch there that was killing me! Gary

Stretch
11-28-2004, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GStrong:</font><hr> Thanks for the replies, my problem is getting better. I just had a stretch there that was killing me! Gary <hr /></blockquote>

Ya that's the common complaint around here too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's how i determine if a runout is on. If "All" my balls have 1 or more pockets available it's a go. If 1 or more are tied up in the same cluster and i have a break ball handy too it i will still attempt the runout. Provided i can attack it early, like on the second or third shot, no later. If i can't solve the problem on my first attempt at breaking them out i'll duck. If there are 2 or more seperate clusters, there is no way i'll sink any open balls or try a run.

Something i like to do that has paid off big for me is what i call a "progresive stall". That is if the runout isn't on and your looking for a safe. Don't just be content with hideing the cue ball. Try and develope a ball that is in a bad postition at the same time. Like use a rail ball, or cover a pocket, or nudge two appart when you go for the safe. Being able to accomplish two objectives with one shot is a powerfull weapon. St

GStrong
12-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies... very good ideas! Just reading through some of the other post's I heard someone refer to it as "one ball hell" LOL I am going to stay out of it!!! Thanks!