PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer

crawdaddio
11-18-2004, 01:11 PM
I know it's been discussed before, but I would appreciate any and all opinions on these cues. I need some new input on 'em. Especially from those of you who feel you have a solid, controlled break--does the SH ACTUALLY break 'em better than a good cue with a leather tip? If so....why do think so?

Thank you my fellow pool crazies................./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peace
~DC

JimS
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
I got one recently and have used it a few times. I doubt that I or anyone else would be able to say that any one cue breaks the balls better than another. The difference, if indeed their would/could be any real difference, would me miniscule and unmeasureable.

I got one because I didn't want to carry a break cue and a jump cue. It breaks fine and I can't jump worth a damn with it or any other cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif .

So much for that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dagwood
11-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Just like anything else, there are posatives and negatives to the SH cue. The posatives...the cue comes off the tip faster, thus slightly increasing the speed of the break. The increase in speed gained with it is directly proportional to increase in the energy,(strength), you put into it.(LOL, I'm not a physics major, so any engineer out there who knows any better, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) For the same reason, (hard tip), it's easier to jump balls with. Personally, I've jumped balls only 2-3 inches away, in a controled manner. Drawbacks...on the break, because it is a hard(er) surface, you lose some of your control on the break. If there is anything funky with your break stroke, such as not having a level cue, this will accentuate it, (i.e. with an elevated cue, the cueball actually jumps enroute to the rack, and hopefully contacts the rack while the CB is on the bed of the table. With the SH, the same exact break will have the CB contacting the head ball in the air, sending it flying off the table most times). Of course, in time, you can compensate for this. For myself, I find that with my break, I get better action and control with the SH. Other people can't help but jump the cue off the table 80% of the time with it, and resultantly can't stand it. You would have to try one and decide for yourself if it fits your game or not.

Dags

crawdaddio
11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanx for the input. So do you use it as your regular break cue?

~DC

woody_968
11-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I have tried one a few times, but have never owned one. I own a cue similar to those and used it for a while, but I have since taken it out of my case. I didnt care for the rock hard tip, felt that I had lost some control, and didnt feel there was enough of an increased ball speed to justify the loss of confidence and control.

Again, keep in mind my cue is not an actual SH, and I know alot of people like them, but I will stick with my Bludworth with a leather tip.

crawdaddio
11-18-2004, 05:07 PM
BTW, how do like Monterey? I lived in Carmel for awhile. Absolutely beautiful.........

~DC

Jimmy B
11-19-2004, 02:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I got one recently and have used it a few times. I doubt that I or anyone else would be able to say that any one cue breaks the balls better than another. The difference, if indeed their would/could be any real difference, would me miniscule and unmeasureable.

I got one because I didn't want to carry a break cue and a jump cue. It breaks fine and I can't jump worth a damn with it or any other cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif .

So much for that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I couldn't disagree more, there is most definatly a difference in cues when it comes to breaking. I find the SH to be the best and after that I like the Predator BK, I have tried a few other break cues some with phenolic tips and others with normal or hard tips, I think it makes a big difference in the break shot. Although if you're using the Sardo and want to soft break then I guess they might be overrated.

JB

Dagwood
11-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I do indeed use it as my regular break cue. been using it for the past few years. Have to admit though, it's not an actual SH, made by Mike Gulyassy.(sp?) Same idea and same materials though.

Dags

Dagwood
11-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Love it...second time I've been out here to go to DLI...though I have to say that the cost of living out here, for someone on a soldiers budget is somewhat outrageous. But it is one of the most beautiful places that I've seen in the country.

Dags

ras314
11-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I certinally break harder with the Sledg, could be because I don't have to worry about messing up the tip. It is guarenteed for life I think. However cb control is a haphazzard thing since I've been trying to learn a power break stroke. Even with ocassionally sending the cb out the back door of the local bar (the drunks get a real kick out of that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) the Sledgehammer has paid for itself by winning 9 ball on the break pots.

bomber
11-19-2004, 09:45 AM
they whack the crap out of em...but i just dont like the cueball control...if your a banger, i guess they are ok...but if you want to control the cueball on the break, i would look into something different...jmo

crawdaddio
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have one on order from Mike now.....should have it in about a week. I'll let ya know what I think.

One more thought, I consider myself as having a pretty steady, controlled break (I'm talking about 9 ball, as that is all I'll be using it for). Will I really lose control of the cb with the SH? It seems that if you have a straight strokin' break, the hard tip can't really MAKE you lose the cb, or can it?

~DC

Dagwood
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
If you are able to control your break right now, then it will just take some work to learn how to contact the CB properly with the new tip to achieve the same control with the SH. I was squatting the CB 40-50% of the time with the SH after I worked with it a little while. Good luck.

Dags

tito
11-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Hello to everyone.-

Iīve got a sledgehammer model RS, I was talking to Ralf Souquet first who advise me that this break/jump cue really works.

Itīs been a month that I have it, I really like the break of this cue, I know that fury and bunjee have just made very similar jump/break cues than the sledgehammer, you can see that in some magazines of BD, but I think that Mike was the main author of this particular cues.

I donīt know what the peoples thought, but I prefer this cue because with predator break cue, or mezz you must put a tip if that break off but with the system of tip/ferrule that have the sledgehammer itīs really hard that this tip can break off and of course you can jump too.

I like this cue, I know that this particular model (RS), itīs very expensive than the LW model but the black tip/ferrule and the shaft are great and itīs the same than the Ralf Souquet cue and thatīs great.

see you.

the break at first itīs difficult to control the cue ball but when you have some weeks braking you really know that this cue works

cheese_ball
11-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Don't be idiots... the sledgehammer is nothing more than a cheap $20.00 chinese cue with a $1.00 worth of phenolic slapped into a 1 piece tip/ferrule combo. If you want, I'll take a piece of crap worth $21.00 and sell it to you for $350.00 What a joke. If you want a phenolic break cue, try a real one. There are plenty of cuemakers that actually make their own cues... try supporting one of them instead.

PQQLK9
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey Cheezy..."Your mind is a terrible thing to waste" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.babysproshop.com/

cheese_ball
11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
PQQLK9-

My mind is a terrible thing to waste? What about my hard earned dough?

daviddjmp
11-23-2004, 01:11 PM
You may want to look into the Cuetec 99296 J/B. Breaks great, and is less than half the price of the SH-

Popcorn
11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
On what do you base this opinion? I have worked on them and they are pretty fine made cues. Have you even seen one? They are worth the money whether you play with it or break with it. You won't get much from a cue maker for a few hundred dollars. I am surprised he bothers making the cue for that. It only seem expensive because it is bought to just break the balls with. But all things considered, it is very reasonably priced cue, even quite cheap. Many cue makers get a few hundred for just a sneaky pete cue.

Chris Cass
11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I certinally break harder with the Sledg, could be because I don't have to worry about messing up the tip. It is guarenteed for life I think. However cb control is a haphazzard thing since I've been trying to learn a power break stroke. Even with ocassionally sending the cb out the back door of the local bar (the drunks get a real kick out of that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) the Sledgehammer has paid for itself by winning 9 ball on the break pots. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Ras,

You know, how much I like your new SH. lol It's just the right weight and balance, that compliments my break speed. I also think it looks great too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad to hear your still working with it. Sounds like your break is starting to pick up a bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ras has some nice looking cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cheese_ball
11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
If you think that is a fine cue, I'll sell you 100 of them for $100.00 a piece. Is it a deal? I KNOW exactly where these cues are coming from, and who makes them... do you? If you'd like to know, please send me a private message, as I can not reveal this info. publicly.

if this is FINE work, how do these compare to your cues?

Popcorn
11-24-2004, 05:23 PM
I can only speak for the cues I have seen and they were well worth the money. Not bad craftsmanship at all. The wholesale price is irrelevant. Again we are talking about a very low end cue, and it is on that I am judging. If the cue was $1500. I would be more critical. I need to add also, Most sell in the $200.00 range.

crawdaddio
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Well, I got one..........WELL WORTH 250$

I walk into the pool hall, rack up nine balls good and tight, and crack. I didn't hit 'em too hard, 'cause I just wanted to see how the cue felt. Parked the qb and made three balls. WOW! This cue hits good, I thought. Let's see how it plays. I ran out. I am really surprised how much I can move the qb with this cue......full table draw.....with a freakin' break cue! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Needless to say (but I will), I like this cue alot. As I got used to it, I started to break 'em a little harder, and man, this cue hits HARD. I haven't had too much trouble holding onto the qb either.

It jumps better than any cue I have ever used. Like this one:
http://onepocket.org/table/pooltable2.html

START(
%A[2O4%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HZ1M0%IL7O 4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%P[3R9%W[5C5%XZ1L3%eB5a7
)END

I can drop in on this shot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Seriously, this cue performs well beyond my expectations, and I recommend them.

~DC

Perk
12-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Damn that shot. I got called on a foul in a recent tourney on that shot. The guy claimed I hit the middle ball. He said the ball "quivered". Still pisses me off about it.

&lt;--just cant see how you can hit a forcefull jumpshot from that distance and get the middle ball to quiver, not move significantly.

Dagwood
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
If you are talking about the Sledgehammer cue, then you are the one who is sorely mis-informed. The Sledgehammer cue is made by Mike Gulyassy, who operates out of the SE U.S. I've met and talked with Mike, and the price of his cues are a bargain for what you are getting, which is a custom made cue by a well respected cue maker.

Then again, if you aren't talking about the SH, never mind what I just said above.

Dags