PDA

View Full Version : Blue Chalk?

GStrong
11-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Why is it that Masters Tweeten Blue Chalk is generally accepted as the best? I have Khaki cloth (wife) on my table and the blue doesn't look very nice to say the least. It's hard to change chalk after using the blue masters for so long. What do you all think, just a myth? or why is it better? Thanks, Gary

JimS
11-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I think the Masters is the best quality chalk but when it comes to colors I have no knowledge, I have only my preference for blue because that's the way it's always been. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chopstick
11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GStrong:</font><hr> Why is it that Masters Tweeten Blue Chalk is generally accepted as the best? I have Khaki cloth <font color="red">(wife)</font color> on my table <hr /></blockquote>

LOL. They make a tan chalk for that color cloth. It's not a myth. It's been tested. Here's one I saw the other day.

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php

DavidMorris
11-18-2004, 02:27 PM
They do make tan Masters, you know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

While I do consider Masters the best brand of chalk, I've heard lots of conjecture over the years about how the different colors within a single brand actually make a difference. I don't have an opinion on that personally, other than I can't tell the difference between Masters Blue and Masters Green. I use Masters Green because my Simonis 860 is classic green. If I had tan cloth, I'm sure I'd be using tan chalk. I'd still keep a few cubes of blue or green in my case though -- you might get some funny looks at the PH using tan chalk... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dingle
11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I have used both the blue, green, and tan chalk. I noticed a slight difference using the tan, but whether it was just a mental thing, I'm not sure. The nice thing about the tan chalk is that it doesn't dirty up your ferrule as much.

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Dingle, or Ding was my stepfather's nickname...haven't heard it used for years, since he passed on. I had the chance to visit "Sarge's" gravesite recently, when My Mom was put to rest alongside. "Ding" kind of brings back,memories of happier days...thanks, jjd

dingle
11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm glad it brought back happy memories. I wish I had a story about my choice of nickname, but unfortunately I just pulled it out of my butt. ha ha

wolfdancer
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Sarge got his nickname the same way

Angel_R
11-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I have played blue and green master's chalk and I prefer the green because it leaves less of a mess on my hands from playing pool all night. The blue for some reason has a tendency to get all over my chalking hand. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just a slob! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rod
11-18-2004, 11:35 PM
It's a myth. Green, blue, Tan who cares?

Rod

buddha162
11-19-2004, 04:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>I use Masters Green because my Simonis 860 is classic green.<hr /></blockquote>

Believe it or not, blue chalk actually shows up less on green simonis. Master's green is kinda like a neon green, at least the ones I've seen...

-Roger

DavidMorris
11-19-2004, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>Believe it or not, blue chalk actually shows up less on green simonis. Master's green is kinda like a neon green, at least the ones I've seen...<hr /></blockquote>
Not mine. I actually started using blue chalk, since that's what I had in my case from years of playing with nothing but blue in PH's. But the shop where I bought my Brunswick table and Centennial Kit (which normally comes with a box of blue chalk) replaced that box of chalk with green Masters before they delivered it. At first I was going to ask them to swap it back for blue, but after trying it I decided I liked it better. The green shows up much less on my Simonis, and it's not a lime or neon green, it's a dull medium green color. But I'm almost in need of a new box, so I hope they haven't changed it!

Fred Agnir
11-19-2004, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GStrong:</font><hr> Why is it that Masters Tweeten Blue Chalk is generally accepted as the best? I have Khaki cloth (wife) on my table and the blue doesn't look very nice to say the least.<hr /></blockquote>

I don't understand why you have to put it on your wife. Be a man. Admit you chose the color. That's the first step to recovery.

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to change chalk after using the blue masters for so long. What do you all think, just a myth? or why is it better? Thanks, Gary <hr /></blockquote>Masters Blue disappears on the green cloth better. I have never had success with Masters Green. The only difference is the pigment (which is a very small amount in comparison to the other ingredients), but in my line of work, pigment can have a profound effect on the final product. So, IMO, there is a performance difference in the two chalks.

That being said, I've used Masters Tan/Camel and have had no problems with it.

BTW, when my wife decided to redecorate my pool room (and believe me, it was in dire need), the overall theme included warm earth tones. So, I chose camel Granito. That was two years ago. The new cloth is still in its shipping box. Maybe this year I'll put it on.

Fred

Dagwood
11-19-2004, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> I've heard lots of conjecture over the years about how the different colors within a single brand actually make a difference. I don't have an opinion on that personally, other than I can't tell the difference between Masters Blue and Masters Green. <hr /></blockquote>

The pool hall out here uses masters green, and whenever possible, I'll use my masters blue. I find that I miscue much less often when using it. The green seems to flake off the tip alot faster, doesn't stick to the tip. Just my personal experience.

Dags

DavidMorris
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr>The pool hall out here uses masters green, and whenever possible, I'll use my masters blue. I find that I miscue much less often when using it. The green seems to flake off the tip alot faster, doesn't stick to the tip. Just my personal experience.<hr /></blockquote>
You may be right there, it does seem to have a slightly different consistency to it -- blue seems a bit softer maybe. However I have the habit of chalking for virtually every shot so I haven't noticed the green chalk not lasting long.

tito
11-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi.-

To me the best chalk itīs the blue diamond but itīs really expensive, now Iīm used silver cup and itīs really great, very similar than the blue diamond, more cheap and to me works.

The colour of your chalk must be the same than the colour of your pool table cloth, thatīs essential.

Try to change your pool table cloth the next time, I recommend you simonis 760/860 or gorina basalt or tournament of eight/nine ball. I love the electric blue colour for simonis and try to used the silver cup chalk were you can see the difference between the others one.

see u.

GStrong
11-27-2004, 09:30 AM
By the way, I got the Tan Masters in the mail and it works great. I had been using some knock off (American Heritage) tan chalk for awhile before it arrived and the difference that masters chalk makes is substantial!! Thanks for all the replies! Gary

onepocketfanatic
11-27-2004, 10:03 PM
I personally use the tan or "flesh" colored master chalk. It is just as good as the blue, and you don't look like a Smurf on the fingers and the hands after playing all day.

dmgwalsh
11-28-2004, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketfanatic:</font><hr> I personally use the tan or "flesh" colored master chalk. It is just as good as the blue, and you don't look like a Smurf on the fingers and the hands after playing all day. <hr /></blockquote>

I've been using the tan for over a year now. Like the way the shaft doesn't discolor. Have gotten a few complaints playing at the pool hall. Some people, especially if they are losing look at the tan streaks on the table and find a culprit for their play. Last week, I used green at the pool hall cuz my opponent asked me to change and the owner seemed upset at me too.