PDA

View Full Version : Dominate eye

stickman
05-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Prior to my instruction from Scott Lee, I played a lot and practiced little. My practice consisted of perhaps some long rail practice, some bank shot practice, and just knocking balls around. Sometimes I played rotation with myself and now and then I setup some shots to work on position play. I had began to work on the things that I knew caused me trouble during play. During my instruction, I was surprised to find out that when I tried to shoot a ball straight down the table and back, I consistantly shot the ball with some right hand english. I hadn't tried this in quite some time, but didn't remember every having any problem with this. When I played league and lagged for break, I don't recall having this problem. To correct, I had to aim at what appeared to be slightly left of center. I wasn't real thrilled with this solution, and couldn't understand why it was now necessary for me to make this adjustment. What I found was that if I positioned the cue directly under my right eye while aiming, it corrected my aim. I have played with the cue directly under my chin for as long as I've played. The only thing I can figure is that my vision has changed as I've gotten older and it has caused the need for this correction. It is going to take a lot of practice for me to get used to positioning the cue under my right eye. I've made other adjustments and they came fairly easily, but this is a difficult adjustment. Setting up with the cue under my chin just comes natural to me after so many years. I wonder if practicing with a patch over my left eye would help. Of course, my friends at the poolhall would think I was crazy, but so what?

Rich R.
05-20-2002, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> I wonder if practicing with a patch over my left eye would help. Of course, my friends at the poolhall would think I was crazy, but so what? <hr></blockquote>
I don't know if the patch will work, but as far as the friends thinking your crazy, let them think what they want.
If it works do it.
Then tell your friends that you are crazy and they should give you the 8 and the break.
Rich R.

Cuemage
05-20-2002, 04:26 PM
I used to know a guy in VA who used to hustle with an eye patch (he had 2 perfectly good eyes)....quite the character he was...

Tha Cuemage

Tom_In_Cincy
05-20-2002, 08:16 PM
Good adjustment, glad you took the time to figure it out.

Lots of good players have the cue directly under their chin, and have been successful in changing their aiming for the dominate eye. It does look strange, but after you keep shooting that way and pocketing balls and stringing them, the strange looks will become questions about how your game has improved.

05-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Stickman, it sounds like you're on track to not only figuring out your alignment problem, but solving it - a huge personal step! The reason for the unintentional right english is that when you lined up with the cue centered under your chin (directly between your eyes), when you adjusted to what appeared to your brain to be centerball (from the perspective of your dominant right eye) that resulted in addressing the ball to the right of actual center - just like you figured out.

99.9 % of all pool players align their cue somewhere in the roughly 2" range between their chin (centered between the eyes) and directly under the center of their dominant eye. Exactly where in that range you ideally will align your head/eyes over the cue for your best results depends on how dominant your dominant eye is (if you have one). Personally my ideal alignment falls roughly halfway between my chin and my dominant right eye.

There is a very accurate procedure taught to us at Randy's Pool School to determine exactly where your ideal eye alignment should be over the stick. It's kind of hard to explain here, but it works. - Chris in NC

05-21-2002, 06:46 AM
What do you mean it depends how dominant your dominant eye is, and if you even have one?
I dont think its possible to not have a dominant eye, you would see the same thing two times.
Your not dominant eye just fills in everything it sees that the dominant eye doesnt see.

JimS
05-21-2002, 06:54 AM
Hi Jim,

You would probably enjoy reading Richard Kranicki's "Answers To A Pool Players Prayers".

I've been immeresed in trying to find the right eye position over the cue for the past several months and his book helped.

I see the angles much better with my right eye directly over the cue but I shoot left handed so this involves a bit of neck twisting. If I'm playing for any great length of time, especially by myself, this becomes quite uncomfortable, so I'm trying to learn to shoot with the cue more directly under my chin and use the right eye method to sometimes check my center view aim, or on a shot where I have problems visualizing the ghost ball I'll use the right eye aim exclusively in order to pocket the ball using the angle method of aiming.

I thought that I was some kind of weird person to be shooting with the cue under my right eye but Kranicki mentions that this "pure eye" aiming can actually be the best method requiring no aim adjustment/compensation. He claims that center eye and dominant eye aiming require an adjustment.

I can't explain it. His book is worth the $25 or $30. I think it's selling on eBay now...usually is a copy available there.

I'm still working it all out but it sure is helpful to have his information.

05-21-2002, 07:15 AM
btw i play with the cue under my chin.
You just have to see the perspective, see the lineup of the cue ... it doesnt realy mather that your view isnt above the cue.
i did a test a few days ago, i played a few whole table length straight in shots with my cue varying from 5 inches left of my chin to 5 inches right of my chin and my accuracy was about the same as under my chin so i realy dont think it mathers much, just take a possition you feel most comfortable with for a straight stroke.