PDA

View Full Version : butt butt butt......

NU_Gameroom_Guy
11-18-2004, 11:09 PM
hey everybody. i was talking to a friend about cues again today and he insisted that the butt of the cue is just as important as the shaft. i didnt really believe him but then i remembered the P2 predators with the spliced butts. this made me wonder if the butt really does play much of a role in the feel and playability of a cue. yea.. so... im just wondering what everybody's 2 cents on the subject. any thoughts are appreciated. well... back to studying for pharmacology /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jimmy B
11-19-2004, 02:29 AM
next time you go to play just use the shaft and then come back and tell me how important the butt 1/2 is.

JB

mtuckeriii
11-19-2004, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this made me wonder if the butt really does play much of a role in the feel and playability of a cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Kind of like thinking the suspension in a car doesn't matter because only the tires touch the road.

Deeman2
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NU_Gameroom_Guy:</font><hr> hey everybody. i was talking to a friend about cues again today and he insisted that the butt of the cue is just as important as the shaft. i didnt really believe him but then i remembered the P2 predators with the spliced butts. this made me wonder if the butt really does play much of a role in the feel and playability of a cue. yea.. so... im just wondering what everybody's 2 cents on the subject. any thoughts are appreciated. well... back to studying for pharmacology /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">My opinion only, but (or Butt in this case), the butt needs to be solid and feel good to you. Take a nice Schon or other acceptable shaft with a good tip and most of us would never know the difference. Some more knowledgable than me (cue makers) will disagree with me here. They DO know more than I but they also like to sell expensive sticks with many inlays to customers. Nothing wrong with that. I just think the most importanty end of the stick by far, is the shaft end. Besides, you can't jump a ball from an inch away with a butt! Unless your really, really mad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman
never saw an inlay or splice make a ball....

bomber
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
i have always thought that the shaft from joint to tip was a bit more important that the butt....but without
a well balanced butt, you wont hit your cue well....its all relative

DavidMorris
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
I certainly don't consider aesthetic things like inlays important at all to how a cue performs, but I do think that certain aspects of butt construction play an important part, and that includes the "non-wood" components such as joint construction and butt bumper. Remember that joint design plays a large part here, and one-half of the joint is in the butt! Things like balance point and vibration would be important to good players who pay attention to such things, and the butt plays a large part in those attributes of a cue.

wolfdancer
11-19-2004, 12:21 PM
that makes no sense to me...I think the point is:
you can put a good shaft on a plain butt, and it'll play just fine....but a pp shaft, on some "detailed" butt...ain't going to do it

wolfdancer
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
never saw an inlay or splice make a ball....
Hear! hear! hear!
now that you mention it...

cheese_ball
11-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Every part of that cue is important to the way that it hits... While it may be true that the fancier cue may not play any different, but I'm not speaking of the inlays and decor. These are merely a way for a player to express his or her individuality as a human being. The things that matter with the butt are weight, balance, wrap?, JOINT, materials made of, concentricity, harmonics......