PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question. Should i buy a Leisure Bay table

05-20-2002, 10:24 AM
I am new to table shopping and i am in the market for a used table. I found one that seems to be a O.K. deal.
It is a Leisure Bay 8 foot table, excellent condition, all wood, slate top. I believe the model is a "Seminole". They want $950 for it. Should i get it. Thanks guys

heater451
05-20-2002, 02:08 PM
I know a few people who have owned Leisure Bay tables and not complained, although they do usually joke about Leisure Bay also making/selling hot tubs as well. . . .(I've played on a couple--but I'll play on anything.)

The price is decent, given that they sell new from $1200-up, but you might be able to shop around for a "better" (that is, a **brand-name**) used table, for close to the same cost.

And, since a pool table is often a one-time purchase, it's nice to go with a high-quality table. However, if the Leisure Bay table is in good condition, it's not too bad of a choice. Also, you might want to consider whether you get anything else in the price, such as balls, rack(s), sticks, etc.

Ask yourself how serious you are about using the table, as that makes the largest difference, in deciding on going with a bigger name or not.

The best advice I could actually give, would be to go to where the table is and shoot on it, and see how you like it. Visit a few billiard halls as well, and check out the 'feel' of the different name-brand tables.

BTW, if you are in the Atlanta area, I can point you to a good place to ask questions about and/or shop for a table.

05-20-2002, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: computertech7:</font><hr> I am new to table shopping and i am in the market for a used table. I found one that seems to be a O.K. deal.
It is a Leisure Bay 8 foot table, excellent condition, all wood, slate top. I believe the model is a "Seminole". They want $950 for it. Should i get it. Thanks guys <hr></blockquote>

just lookin at the numbers, that does not sound like a good price for a middle/low end table.

shop, shop, shop. find a good table mechanic in your area and i'll bet he can put you into a good used table for not much more.

dan

05-20-2002, 04:51 PM
In the NY area, I routinely run across 8' tables comparable to Leisure Bay for $500-$800. My favorite was the antique 9' Brunswick a friend of mine picked up for $550. Later appraised at $5,000. Boy, people are just plain dumb sometimes! :-)

05-20-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys, i live in south alabama, in baldwin county, between mobile alabama and pensacola flordia. I have been searching the classifieds and there are very few tables for sale. I have found another ad but I have not checked on it. The ad is: POOL TABLE-Brunswick regulation new felt $950. I want a table soon and the leisure bay table i mentioned earlier comes with the rack, 6 sticks, balls, and a few other accessories. I am going to look at it tomorrow and i guess play on it even though i dont know the feel difference between a wood and slate top. Thanks for you suggestions.

05-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Well, before you buy that LB remember, conventional wisdom says 'practice on what you play on'. I f you are a recreational player, the LB will do just fine. If you've a mind to attain a higher level of play however, pony up the extra bucks and buy the Brunswick.

05-21-2002, 09:14 AM
I called about a Brunswick table in the area. It is 20 years old, excellent condition, 8 foot, marble sides, new felt. It also comes with all the accessories. Does this sound like an O.K. deal for $950. The guy says it has been passed down in his family. Thanks for the opinions.

05-21-2002, 10:36 AM
Yes. Especially if the balls are Centennials.

05-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Do yourself a favor and pass on the LB. A glance at the classifieds in Atlanta will show you many 1 -2 year old Leasure Bay tables. People almost always regret not spending the extra couple of bucks to get a much better table.
Also... that $950 does not include move and set up, which can run upwards of $450 or more (plus possible mileage.) New tables always include this in their pricing...plus a warranty. It might suprise you how reasonable a new Olhausen, Connolly, or others that at very least have 1" 3-piece frame-backed ITALIAN slate and a lifetime warranty (and not made in China, like the LB) in the $1500-$1800 range (with balls, cues etc. included)
Just something to think about...

Tim

05-23-2002, 08:05 PM
I looked at the leisure bay table for $850 and its in excellent condition with a lot of extras. I am using it for recreational use so i think it will work for me. Used tables are not plentiful around here so i think i may get it. My question is how hard is it to transport an 8 foot table with a lot of people. We would be moving it about 35 miles. How complicated is the tear down and setup. Is it impossible for a novice. I just dont have the money to pay someone 350 dollars to do it. Thanks very much.

05-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Well, it's not brain surgery. If you have a working knowledge of how to turn a nut ( No, I'm not talking about Ken) you should be able to get it apart. Make sure you take polaroids before you start, just in case you get lost putting things back together. Also, make sure you have some plastic baggies for the bolts, and blankets for the slates. The biggest thing is getting the slates level. Most guys I know use playing cards. Do Not use a four foot level to test. You must use a spirit level. And don't worry, even if you screw it up, you'll still know the rolls better than any of your friends, and you'll quickly win enough money to have a pro come out and redo it for you!

cheesemouse
05-25-2002, 07:19 AM
It doesn't hurt to label everything with masking tape while your disasembling. Just go slow.