PDA

View Full Version : A fine point.

Stretch
11-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Today i was working on a bunch of "up the rail drills", and doing piles of shots where the ball is against or near the rails. So naturaly the first rail is a big part of the shot as far as sending whitey where you want. Now i was always pretty good at making the shot, but i felt the first rail needed a better look. What i found today was that when the ob is close to that rail, you can actually divide your focus so to speek on both the ob and the cushion. It's hard to explain, but you see the contact point on the ob and your focused on that when you shoot, but you can "feel" the cushion at the same time. It's all as if the cue ball has come off the rail just as you planed it, and the shot going down was a happy by-product. If you get the shape right, the shots gotta go right? lol

Another application of my new mind toy is on those long shots where the ob is real close to the hole. The shots while easy to make are a bear to get great shape off of, as you know, you can be a little thick or thin and that total throws your speed off or it takes a bad kick off the first rail. But with my new toy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif "feeling" the first rail i was making those long easy ones with confidence AND getting the right bounce.

Other than that it was a pretty univentfull practice /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif But it did get me out of the house for a few hours lol (that's the real jenious of it) St.

smfsrca
11-21-2004, 08:46 AM
I think I understand what you are trying to say.
Here is another explanation for aiming rail shots.
At the base of the ball you can see the light that falls through the gap between the ball and the cushion.
For various angles, determine what part of the cue ball to aim at the center of that light.
At about 20-30 degrees the center of the ball aims at the center of the light. Make adjustments for other angles.