PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Knowledge

Bassn7
11-21-2004, 11:06 PM
What is it in a person's "psychy" that STOPS them from wanting to become great at something, in this case pool? Our pool hall is usually jammed with players, and yet only 5 league players have sought out instruction from one of our BCA instructors. Hundreds of players enjoying playing bad, WHY?

Popcorn
11-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Maybe it's just fun. They play because for a change they don't want any pressure to have to excel. They can't have that attitude in their everyday lives, at least not at their jobs. I think it is very understandable. There may be more likely something wrong with someone who feels the need to excel at everything they do or compare themselves to others instead of just having fun sometimes. In fact that may be my biggest complaint about most people is they take it too serious and it stops being fun. You see them throwing their cues cursing and so on.

Rich R.
11-22-2004, 03:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> What is it in a person's "psychy" that STOPS them from wanting to become great at something, in this case pool? Our pool hall is usually jammed with players, and yet only 5 league players have sought out instruction from one of our BCA instructors. Hundreds of players enjoying playing bad, WHY? <hr /></blockquote>
I have a sign in my pool room, at home, that explains it all.

Billiards and Sex;
two things you can
really enjoy without
being that good at it.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stretch
11-22-2004, 03:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Maybe it's just fun. They play because for a change they don't want any pressure to have to excel. They can't have that attitude in their everyday lives, at least not at their jobs. I think it is very understandable. There may be more likely something wrong with someone who feels the need to excel at everything they do or compare themselves to others instead of just having fun sometimes. In fact that may be my biggest complaint about most people is they take it too serious and it stops being fun. You see them throwing their cues cursing and so on. <hr /></blockquote>

I'd say that's a big part of it. Pool is thier "recreation". They put few demands on themselves other than haveing fun, socializing, and getting out of the house. A lot of those people you see banging balls around and enjoying themselves none the less have probably already religated "greatness" to other areas of thier life. Perhaps they could kick your a$$ at hockey and wonder why you don't want to play good even though you get a lot of enjoyment just skateing around the rink on a public skate. Maybe that other guy lives for music and can't understand why you are happy with just playing chopsticks on the piano. Not everyone aspires to be great at all things. But you will usually find everyone has thier own "thing", and invest huge amounts of money and time into that. For me and most people here that "thing" is pool. I'm no better or worse then the rest of the pool world. It's for my own personal satisfaction, enjoyment, and challenge. St.

JimS
11-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Same thing on the golf course. I think most don't want to admit they need lessons or to be taught ANYTHING! Big ego thinks it can do it all by itself. It's the American way. Self made man. Tough and smart and .........

bomber
11-22-2004, 08:55 AM
i think its a combination of things and it really relies on the person....
1.some people play bad because that is the best they can play.
2.some people play bad because they dont care to get any better.
3.some people play bad because they "know everything" already.
4.some people cant afford lessons.
5.some people dont have time to devote.

etc....

wolfdancer
11-22-2004, 11:06 AM
The "Monk" writes that there are four types of players.
The social player likes to show off
The league player loves his team
The tournament player loves the chart
The match player loves the preformance.
I believe for many league players, they only have this one night to devote to pool, and while they would like to win, it's more important to socialize and have fun.
Play golf on the weekends, and you'll see the same thing

HallofFame
11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> What is it in a person's "psychy" that STOPS them from wanting to become great at something, in this case pool? Our pool hall is usually jammed with players, and yet only 5 league players have sought out instruction from one of our BCA instructors. Hundreds of players enjoying playing bad, WHY? <hr /></blockquote>

All pool players think they are better than what they are. Ask a "C" player and he/she will tell you he/she is a "B+" player. When you see them they always say they are playing bad today; think, did you ever see them play good?

EGOS EGOS EGOS EGOS EGOS EGOS EGOS

They don't want to admit anyone is capable of giving THEM instructions.

They really do not care about the game and are satisfied with knocking balls around aimlessly.

No matter how much instruction you get, if you do not LEARN form your MISTAKES your pi##ing in the wind.

Joe