PDA

View Full Version : What is the clock system??

Lucom
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
I heard someone talking about the clock system of aiming and cutting. He did not know all the details. How does it work?

Billy_Bob
11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
I would suggest making your own cut shot aiming system. Get a protractor and set up different angle cut shots for every 10 degrees. Then use stickers or blackboard chalk (if it is your own table) to mark the locations of balls and where the cue stick must be aimed to make each shot.

So say it is a 10 degree cut shot. There is only one place to aim to make this shot hit the pocket dead center. Now make your own aiming system for this shot...

Does the center of the cue ball line up with any spot on the object ball?

Does the edge of the cue ball line up with anything on the object ball?

For lining up shots, use the center or edges of the cue ball, and the edges and center of the object ball. You can aim left/right of center of OB, left/right of edge of OB, dead on edge/center of OB, etc.

So for a particular cut shot, the edge of the cue ball may line up with just to the right of the center on the object ball. Then just keep your cue pointing the same direction and move it to the center of the cue ball, then shoot.

The only thing you need to do is figure out the aiming for each angle, then determine what angle in degrees a particular shot is, then use you own aiming method to aim.

The only problem with all this is that you can't use a protractor or cheat sheet when playing in tournaments, so hard to recognize exactly what angle a particular shot is and hard to remember all the different aims for each specific angle.

bomber
11-22-2004, 11:12 AM
how about playing on feel...everyone uses some kind of aiming system, but damn i play by feel almost all the time...i pick a point on the ball and just make it. when i am in stroke well, i dont even think about position or where to hit the balls, i just "feel" my way around the table...which my opinion is worth a hill of beans lol

HallofFame
11-22-2004, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lucom:</font><hr> I heard someone talking about the clock system of aiming and cutting. He did not know all the details. How does it work? <hr /></blockquote>

Buddy Hall's System.

Buddy Hall has the best ball control in pool.

Don't listen to anybody else. NOBODY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are people here who think they are better than the pros. Which means they think they are better than Buddy Hall, they're NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a diagram if you find the example I give confusing.

Here it is:

Set up an object ball one diamond away from the side rail and one diamond away from the foot rail by a corner pocket, to make the explanation easy; set up this shot so you are going up table to your RIGHT.

Set the cue ball even with the object ball and one diamond back to the side close side rail; now, move this ball ONE BALL WIDTH UP TABLE.

Look at the cue ball as if it was a CLOCK.

Now, hit the cue ball at 12 o'clock with a medium firm stroke and the object ball will bank towards and most likely into the side pocket.

Now, set up the shot again and do the same thing only hitting the cue ball at 1 o'clock. The cue ball will now bank to the FIRST diamond above the side pocket.

Each number on the clock equals a diamond.

Now, move the cue ball even with the object ball; a 12 o'clock hit now sends the cue ball towards the FIRST diamond above the side pocket. Moving the cue ball one ball width towards the foot rail equals "ONE" number on the clock.

Now, set up the first shot with the cue ball offset one ball width up table and move the two balls one diamond towards you; the object ball is now two diamonds away from the side and foot rails.
A 12 o'clock hit now sends the cue ball to the FIRST diamond above the side pocket.

So, what's the point?

Moving the cue ball between one ball width above, even, one ball width below the cue ball equals ONE number on the clock.

Moving the object ball ONE diamond equals ONE number on the clock.

I took Buddy's system and applied it ALL over the table.

Try this:

Set up the first shot one diamond above the side pocket so you have a three rail bank to the upper left corner, hit the cue ball firmly at 1 o'clock. On a used cloth the cue ball will go three rails to the second diamond above the corner pocket; on a new cloth it will bank longer and go to the first diamond above the corner pocket.

Now you can see how this system is important to position play, which Buddy excels at.

It will most likely take a couple months of practice to get this system applied to the entire table, after you practice enough you will have the system imbedded in your brain and do it automatically.

If you make the EFFORT you will get a great REWARD for it.

Joe

HallofFame
11-22-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> i dont even think about position or where to hit the balls, <hr /></blockquote>

You're kidding, right???

Popcorn
11-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I think players trying to improve feel there is a secret that maybe they don't know that will instantly make them a better player, some system or something. There are three elements in playing pool. Knowing what to do, why you want to do it and doing it. The first two can be easily learned, the third requires practice and experience. I can, as I am sure you can, make balls standing up bending down, one handed all kinds of ways, even the wing shot. There is no way to explain this to someone why you can do this. I don't discount a system as a way of learning and maybe understanding a principal, but don't think it can be used when actually playing. It would become a distraction and limit a players improvement in the long run I believe. I have never seen a really good player that did not play by feel.

HallofFame
11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>...but don't think it can be used when actually playing. It would become a distraction and limit a players improvement in the long run I believe...<hr /></blockquote>

Hi popcorn,

Actually, it applies very well.

I always admired Buddy's ball control, when I heard of the DVD; I too was wondering just what the heck this thing is, so I purchased it. The first thing I thought is, "so, that's how you do it Buddy".

Combining Buddy's system with the "second" cushion gives me ball control I never dreamed of. I too always "THOUGHT" I had good ball control until I began to apply the "clock system" to my game.

Although I didn't include it as part of your quote, all great players play by feel; but nearly all of them first learned or invented some system to aid them, then after years and years of playing it just became "natural".

Like Grady says; "I know this shot" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Joe

bomber
11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
nope, i glance around and just know where it is gonna go. freewheeling, so to speak...you can outthink yourself....just get up there and get out!

Barbara
11-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Joe,

Could you diagram this? I'm confused.

Barbara