PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Schools

jpeters
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Since my newfound discoveries and extreme interest in the learning part of this art, I have been examining other schools. I have since also signed up for classes in April in Vermont at the Billiard Sanctuary with Tim White. Although I feel like everything I will be go through at the Academy will be exactly what I want, I have always had the need to explore others as a reference. I would like to sign up with 2-3 other schools within the next 6 months. Today I did some research into the BCA schools. I have emailed a few but still no answers. I took a look at Cue U in Illinois and am interested because of the location. But why I was interested to know about the organization that would hold the standard of Instructors, is that on the Cue U website there are many pictures of students who are not in the correct set up position nor the correct alignment nor the correct stance. I am concerned about what else they might teach that would contradict what I have already learned. Can anyone help me on this?

Thank You

pooltchr
11-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Contact Randyg at Cue-Tech in Dallas. www.poolschool.com (http://www.poolschool.com)
In my opinion, it is one of the best, if not the best, in the country. Many of the pros have taken his course, or just gone to him for some fine tuning on their game.

Rod
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
I suggest you contact them. I think you're reading a little much into some casual photos. If it's pics of beginners or avg players you might see anything.

Although you can go to different schools, in the end I'd stick with one. You'll find everyone describes things slightly different. Some change a common approach into a fancy name few ever heard of. Like Quadrant as an example, not likely you'll find it used but it's possible.

Rod

Cane
11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
jpeters,

Is there really a "correct" stance, set-up or alignment that works well for everyone? I have never really believed that. I have people that will tell me "Well, I read in Mr. X's book that I should stand like this and hold my cue like this", and all I can tell them is "Well, that might work for him, but he's 5'8" with 28" long arms and you're 6'4" with 36" long arms... the same setup and stance CAN'T work for everyone." Look at the differences between the stances of players like Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Efren Reyes, Keith McCready, etc, etc, etc... Every one of them has THEIR stance, and not one of them is "textbook"... especially not Keith's! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...but his stance, the one that he's comfortable with, certainly can't be condemned because it's not the "correct" stance.

In any case, I try not to change a students stance unless he or she is obviously not comfortable and balanced. Individual comfort and balance are, IMHO, the essentials of a good stance, not what might be considered "correct" in some books.

Just my opinion,

Bob

Papasmurf
11-22-2004, 11:52 PM
I have attended the advanced and expert class with RandyG in Dallas. It is the best in the country. I dont know how serious you are about improving your game , but I would highly recommend the Pool School over any other course. My game has improved from being a local tournament player to playing and placing in regional and state tournaments in just six months after attending the courses. You will walk away from Pool School with a practice routine just for you and you will be very happy with the results if you just stick with what you learned. I actually plan on taking a refresher course next year. IT WAS AMAZING!!!

woody_968
11-24-2004, 03:00 PM
I also have looked into Cue U because of the instructors program. I know they teach under the BCA guidlines, but thats about all I can tell you. As far as the different stances in the photos, I will agree with what many here have already said, there is not one correct stance for all players. But I do believe there are certain fundamentals in a stance that must be met like ballance and allowing of a free swing of the arm.

If you are looking for a good instructor could I suggest Mark Wilson? He is located just outside of St Louis and he is often thought of as one of the top teachers in the country. His website is http://www.playgreatpool.com/ I spent a day with him last week and was very pleased.

Chris Cass
11-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Great post Cane,

A good student should incorporate instruction in their game. A good instructor knows the value of this. They're not out to clone students but help them in their individual style of play.

Regards,

C.C.~~great post Cane.