PDA

View Full Version : New Shafts

bluey2king
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Hello, I am thinking about a custom shaft for Christmas.
I Questions about Brands and taper. I would like input on anything that I should consider. I have a Lucasi L-75 a Beautiful Cue.

Taper the pro vs the Euro. I have been told that the Euro's shaft remains the same diameter for a long distance from the tip then the taper quickly thicker.
The Pro taper gradually increases in thickness all along the shaft. I think this is what the stock shaft is?
Thickness I don't much about pro and cons.

Brands
The Predator 314 and Z shaft comments please.

The Sharpshooter I have read good things, price seems good and comes with a good tip. What else? comments please.

The True Hit Shaft. Made in Denver my town it is a laminated shaft also, thats about all I know. Comments Please.

Thank You
Bluey2King

SPetty
11-22-2004, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I would like input
comments please.
comments please.
Comments Please.<hr /></blockquote>Howdy bluey2king,

What's wrong with the shaft that came with your cue? What is it about the shaft that came with your cue that you don't like? What is it that you're looking for in a shaft? Is there anything about the shaft that came with your cue that you do like?

Rod
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I would like input
comments please.
comments please.
Comments Please.<hr /></blockquote>Howdy bluey2king,

What's wrong with the shaft that came with your cue? What is it about the shaft that came with your cue that you don't like? What is it that you're looking for in a shaft? Is there anything about the shaft that came with your cue that you do like? <hr /></blockquote>

Just full of questions eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd add mike or use calipers on your shaft to determine size along the taper if any. Find out the size/taper of any of the shafts in question. The pred z or x shaft, what ever it's called, is more of a stiff billiard taper.

Know what you want in a shaft first. Do you want more flex or more firm? You might even want a longer shaft. All this is compared to your shaft of course. I think a Lucasi uses a straight cylindrical shaft but I could be wrong.

Rod

tateuts
11-22-2004, 10:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I'd add mike or use calipers on your shaft to determine size along the taper if any. Find out the size/taper of any of the shafts in question. The pred z or x shaft, what ever it's called, is more of a stiff billiard taper.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Speaking of measuring, I bought a pair of those electronic calipers on E-Bay, the kind that measure mm and inches (in fractions). I can't believe how useful and inexpensive they are and how often I find myself measuring stuff with them - tips, shafts, and ferrules. I also do some woodworking for a hobby and they're useful for measuring up the thickness of veneer, inlay bandings, leather, etc. I just measured up a replacement stone for my wife's ring - they're great.

Chris

Cueless Joey
11-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Pls tell you have not used it to measure.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The digital ones come pretty cheap at my local AUTO parts store often. $19.99 with a free case.
Slave labor made from China but they are within 2 thousandths of an inch accurate.
Joey~Swears he has not measured...~

Wally_in_Cincy
11-23-2004, 06:56 AM
A caliper capable of measuring to .001" IS A MUST FOR A TRUE POOL GOOGAN /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ uses his all the time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-23-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I think a Lucasi uses a straight cylindrical shaft but I could be wrong.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

The Lucasi I had began tapering at about 10" from the ferrule IIRC. It had a stiff hit.

Pizza Bob
11-23-2004, 08:25 AM
I think you have your definitions a bit mixed-up. A "Pro Taper" means the shaft remains the same diameter for a given distance (anywhere from 9" - 14") from the tip toward the joint and then flares out. This constant diameter area is usally anywhere from 12 mm to 14 mm. A European taper, most often used on snooker and 3C cues, is a conical taper from the joint to the tip, with the resulting tip diameter usually being smaller than that on a pro-taper cue.

The Euro-taper is a stiffer shaft, but some people have a hard time adjusting to feel of the changing diameter through their bridge. The pro-taper is the most common. IMHO, laminated shafts are an attempt to make the shaft react like a Euro-taper shaft, but with the feel of a pro-taper. i.e. minimal deflection. The debate is still raging whether it actually accomplishes that. It certainly does to some degree as it takes time to adjust your game to a laminated or Euro-taper shaft. Predator's Z-shaft takes this to the extreme by giving a you a shaft that is both laminated and Euro-tapered.

Good point about determining what it is you like/dislike about the current shaft, and what you are trying to achieve.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

bsmutz
11-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I probably shouldn't be answering this since I'm no expert, but here goes. I have three cues. All three have a pro taper. One is a Lucasi with a 13mm tip, one is a Schmelke with two shafts, and the other one I picked up at a pawn shop and have no idea who made it. It has a 12mm tip. The Schmelke came with an 11mm tip and I had a Sharpshooter shaft made with a 12mm tip. I like the 12mm but the 11mm is too skinny. I also don't like the 13mm as well as the 12mm. Now, as far as analyzing the payability of the various cues using terms like deflection, shaft stiffness, feel, etc., I am at a loss. If you ask me which one I can make the most shots with, then I have a clear answer. Without a doubt, the Sharpshooter shaft works best for me. There is a very clear difference in my pocketing ability between the two cues with 12mm tips and the Lucasi, and a smaller one between the regular and laminated shafts. Yesterday I sent the butt of the Schmelke in to have it drilled out to accept longer weight bolts so I can experiment with different weights and to have another laminated shaft made so I will have an extra. The tips on the two 12mm shafts are different also and I'm not sure what the affect on playability is. The laminated shaft is medium hard to hard and the unlaminated is soft. This could make a difference, too. Bottom line is that I prefer to play with the laminated shaft and it seems to work better for me. I guess that a better comparison could be made if I had a regular 12mm shaft for the Schmelke and could compare it to the laminated. I paid $160 for the Sharpshooter and then found that I could get one from Schmelke for $80. Ask me again in a month or so and I will be able to compare those two as well. Now that I've thoroughly confused you, good luck with your decision. One other thing I could mention is that Sharpshooter (Cowboy Bob, I think it was) had to get the joint from Schmelke. The joint was fairly close to a good fit but is off a little bit on one side when the cue is screwed together (I didn't send the butt) and the finish on the Sharpshooter shaft joint doesn't exactly match the finish on the butt. It doesn't affect play, but is a constant source of embarassment when I play in public. Consequently I have to run the table as often as possible to decrease my time in the public eye. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif