PDA

View Full Version : What happened to MS.Fisher`s game?

Vagabond
05-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Howdy Folks,
I couldn`t believe what I had seen in Vegas few days ago.Few years ago ,in women`s US open in Myrtle Beach,South Carolina, she played flawless pool I had ever seen in my life ( Either men or women)when she skunked Vivian in the finals.After that I never saw her performing like that in the tournaments I had attended.Few days ago in BCA`s tounament in Vegas she made so many blunders and I started wondering....!!
By the way in the mens finals Charlie could not use his technique of slow play( Because of Time clock?)
Yes,I was there in Vegas.
Vagabond

Doctor_D
05-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Good evening:

DO NOT, under any circumstances, count Allison out. She is a class A competitor in every sense of the word.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-20-2002, 08:07 PM
Vagabond,
The only difference in the last few years with Ms. Fischer's game is Ms Korr.. showing everyone that Ms Fisher can be beat. Prior to Ms Korr's success, Ms. Fischer enjoyed the 'pure dominance of the WPBA tour' that I am sure she will attain again.

Vagabond
05-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Hi Dr.D,
I am,certainly,not counting her out.I always thought that she is Miss Perfect with her game and does not do any thing wrong.But in Vegas she did the things that are uncharecteristic of her(missing the pocket, ineffective defense etc.).
Vagabond

05-20-2002, 09:11 PM
While I'm sure that Allison will pull herself together eventually, she will not find it as easy as it once was. While I do like Allison, and greatly admire her game, the fact of the matter is that her dominance had as much to do with her opponent's fear as it did with her skills. Now that she has shown human weakness, that fear is not as consuming for the more seasoned girls on tour. Unfortunately for her, but much to our benefit via great entertainment, Allison is going to have to actually break a sweat to regain her former dominance. Like I said, I have great respect for her, but I also have a great memory, and I remember seeing girls do things they haven't done since their rookie years against Allison in top form.

05-20-2002, 09:40 PM
Vagabond, I hope all is well with you. We were dissappointed not to see you in Valley Forge. I bet you figured the title of your post here would get you a quick response from me - and you were right (LOL)!

As for Allison's game, IMO it's nothing other than possibly a lack of motivation and discipline to really consistently put in the hard work and practice time that Karen and probably most of the other top players (and those wishing to get to the top) are doing. Whether AF will overcome this apparent (and hopefully temporary) burnout in this stage of her career and go on to push herself to achieve her full potential, only she likely knows and only time will tell.

Going in to this year Allison was really motivated to get back some respect and earn back her #1 ranking, after a very trying and emotional last year due to the loss of her Dad - which understandably affected her tournament performance. As evidence of her resolve, in the weeks leading up to Valley Forge, Allison made the 4+ hour round trip up here to our room at least once a week for 3 consecutive weeks to practice on table 8 - perhaps the tightest pool table in the country. She really focused and got her game and her confidence back as strong as I've seen it in a while. She carried that game in to Valley Forge and really kicked butt there, as well as in Taiwan a few weeks later.

I was a bit concerned that the success and high level she performed at in those two events (just from a few weeks of intense practice) might cause her to possibly get a little complacent and fall back in to a less than diligent daily practice regimen.

In Valley Forge, I observed that Karen (for whatever reason, perhaps feeling the pressure of being #1) was off of her normal "A" game. IMO I didn't think it would come that easy for Allison in future tournaments as it did in VF and Taiwan, and I'd hoped she would keep up a consistent practicing regimen as she'd done before Valley Forge.

The fact is that Allison is both blessed and cursed by having so much natural ability (combined with such solid fundamentals) that she can play this game at an extremely high level (most of the time) even with very minimal practice. In the past, this has allowed her to get away with far less practice and preparation than what all the other players need to maintain their level of play, yet still be successful. However, now Karen Corr's level of play has changed all of that.

Whenever I observe or hear of an inconsistent tournament performance from Allison, there's a strong liklihood IMO it can be attributed and linked to a lack of proper practice time and preparation. Even for Allison, this can then possibly result in an ever so slight lack of confidence and a possible breakdown in focus, fundamentals and execution in a pressure situation against a top player in a tournament match. Additionally, as we all know the nature of 9-ball and particularly the short TV matche races, the Sardo rack and alternate break format leads to occasional surprises.

I still maintain that if and when Allison puts in anywhere close to the same quality and quantity of practice time as Karen does, Allison will dominate her MOST of the time. I'm sure others may choose to disagree with this opinion.

Vagabond, one final note of I'm sure that will be of interest to you. Paul Babineau (owner of Babineau's in Cary, NC) is purchasing all our Connelly Ultimate tables and is expanding the size of his poolroom at his current location. We've got new Gabriel's tables coming in this summer, which I'm very excited about. We here will no longer have the distinction of the toughest tables in the southeast, as I just didn't think the quality of play from our regulars here (other than AF) warranted having such tight pockets. IMO it was a detriment to the improvement in the games of many of our regulars, not to mention the enjoyment level of the recreational players - which make up 95+% of our customers! Yes, I'm still gonna have one very tight table for Allison, but it will be a Gabriel's. Vagabond, please keep in touch. - Chris in NC

Vagabond
05-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Hi Chris,
I was waiting for your response and I am glad to hear your expert opinion on Miss.Perfect`s situation.I may hang around Gastonia for two months from first week of June (not definite) before I drive my cattle towards portland, OREGAN.If I am in Gastonia,I will visit u to play on your Gabriels.From Vegas I came to Arizona and will be here for two weeks.BTW Janet Attwell told me( in Vegas) that Gene ``the Machine`` is working for her in her pool room
Vagabond

05-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Howdy Vagabond,

Driving cattle now, are you?

The tables were exceptionally slow in Vegas. Quite a surprise for anyone who may have been practicing on fast cloths. I saw lots of top players make some uncharacteristic errors, particularly falling short of the mark. It was 860 Simonis, but my guess is they didn't pull the cloth tight enough.

Glad to see you among the living.

Fran ~~~ remember: you only live twice! LOL

05-21-2002, 07:36 AM
I've wondered whether the disciplines which are burned into snooker players for "stay down-ness" and exactness of center pocket aiming, would wane to laziness due to the nature of the game 9-ball. Maybe that is part of the change??? I like you remember when AF was flawless to the point it became a little boring to me to watch since you knew there was going to be a landslide of wins in her favor. I haven't watched much of her action lately but last time I did I noticed some standard 9-baller glitches in her fundamentals when she did miss, mainly moving on the stroke. She NEVER used to do that...sid

Rich R.
05-21-2002, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure if AF's game has gone down that much, but I do believe KC's is still improving. I believe her regular participation in open events, where she competes head to head with some of the good men players has helped Karen's game. It appears that Allison is not interested in competing in these events.
JMHO. Rich R.

AzHousePro
05-21-2002, 02:36 PM
That is very interesting Fran. I noticed in the Chen/Herndon match that Chen kept overrunning shape during her runs. She did not seem to be able to get it under control at any time during the match.

Mike

05-21-2002, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she was overcompensating, expecting less and getting more on that particular table. I caught the last few games of the Strickland/Rempe match which was on the same table I played Linda Carter on. I had a lot of trouble trying to stay in line on that table and sure enough I watched Earl fall short three times in the hill-hill game, which cost him the match.

Fran

Doctor_D
05-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Good evening Chris:

How far is your room from Gastonia, NC?

Dr. D.

05-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Dr. D, our room is 2 hours from Charlotte, about 1-1/2 hours from Gastonia - a straight shot up 321 North all the way to Boone, then 8 miles on Hwy. 105 South - on the left.

Are you planning a trip to Gastonia anytime in the near future? If so, I certainly hope you'll plan to come up and see us here. You can teach me some of those drills you've learned! - Chris in NC