PDA

View Full Version : Racking question

cnw20
11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
When racking should the 1 ball always be in the first position? Is it true that the 1 ball is built differently than the other balls to better absorb impact? Thanks.

bomber
11-23-2004, 09:02 AM
obviously it should be when playing nine ball...you can vary it in other games...i dont know if it is made any differently...i can imagine that over time it becomes a bit different from abuse...i feel like i break better when other balls on in the first position, such as when i am playing short rack bank

Ives
11-23-2004, 10:24 AM
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

click on this link than click on rules on the left side. Each set of rules for different games talks about how to rack.

Ive never heard of the 1 ball being made different, sounds like one of those urban legend type rumors to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
"Is it true that the 1 ball is built differently than the other balls..."
This has long been one of the industry's closely guarded secrets. the # 1 ball has been designed to wear down, and eventually implode. It's called planned obsolescence. Since most people would like symmetry in their balls, not having one stick out, looking unused, they will opt for a whole new set.
Here's another dark secret: Cues... Cues could be lost, stolen, beaten against the rail cap, left out overnite in the barn, but under normal use, will outlive the cueist.
It is reputed that cuemakers, knowing this, paid out a large sum of cash, to have Tom Cruise do his drum majorette routine with his cue, in "Color of Money" New players, in their belief that this will make them look good, are now more prone to damaging their cue...thus creating more sales for the cuemakers