PDA

View Full Version : Palestinians: "Merci France"

SecaucusFats
11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Merci la France: We Will Be Forever Grateful

The Palestine Chronicle Weekly Journal ^ | November 23, 2004 | Ramzy Baroud

By honoring President Yasser Arafat, France has honored every Palestinian man, woman and child. For this we will be forever grateful.

Even President Jacques Chirac may not realize how deeply appreciated were his gestures toward President Arafat and his just cause. His endearing utterances have strengthened the bond of friendship between France and Palestinians for years to come.

Just before Arafat’s body was transported to the airport on its final journey to Cairo then to Ramallah, Chirac insisted that political correctness doesn’t stand in the way of moral uprightness. “I came to bow before President Yasser Arafat and pay him a final homage.”

Draped in the Palestinian flag, President Arafat’s body departed France in the presence of the country’s Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin. The solemn scene is reminiscent of Arafat’s first official trip to the West, also to France after the Palestine Liberation Organization opened its office in Paris in 1975.

Former French President Valery Giscard d’Estaing was one out of many who spoke with kindness about Arafat’s legacy. “His complete life was mixed wholly with the Palestinian cause. My feelings are of sadness at the departure of someone who presented an idea, an inspiration.”

-snip-

Makes me want to puke!

I suppose Chirac was also overcome with grief when Jeffrey Dahmer died.

SF

Wally_in_Cincy
11-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I've been reading a lot about Arafat this past week. He is almost single-handedly responsible for the Palestinians being in the shape they are in now.

I say au revoir and good riddance