PDA

View Full Version : Victory Pool (a variation of Pin Pool)

Sharkey
11-24-2004, 01:33 AM
I am writing from New Zealand. There is a game that I play with a couple of friends that here in New Zealand we call Victory Pool, or often just Pins. It is a game that was fairly popular here up till about 35 years ago and now there is hardly anyone who plays it. This particular game is played with three balls: one red, one white and one yellow, with the white as the cue ball, the red worth three points and the yellow two points. There are five pins: red (worth 50 points), blue (10 points), brown (5 points), as well as two black pins which are placed close to the red pin. These pins are worth nothing and if they are knocked over you lose any points obtained in your break. All the players draw a secret number out of a bottle. The number is between 1 and 16. The object of the game is to score exactly 126 minus your secret number. If you go over 126 your score is bust and you start again. I am interested in knowing where and when it originated, why it is called Victory Pool or anything else that may be of interest about the game. I assume that it originated in the USA as I know that Pin Pool was born there in the early 1800's. However, I have not been able to find anything about this particular game. Perhaps this variation of Pin Pool originated in another country. If anyone knows anything at all about this game, please reply.
Many thanks,
Sharkey

Popcorn
11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
I played a game like that in Denmark. It was on a snooker table and with billiard balls if I remember right.

Bob_Jewett
11-24-2004, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sharkey:</font><hr> I am writing from New Zealand. There is a game that I play with a couple of friends that here in New Zealand we call Victory Pool, or often just Pins.... <hr /></blockquote>
I have never heard of a pin game where you went back to zero for too many points. The US rulebook for 1914 lists five or six games that require pins, but none is exactly like the one you describe. Mike Shamos is the person I'd ask about this game.

To see the 1914 rule book, go to http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm and click on the last item.

Sharkey
11-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the link to the 1914 rules Bob. There are a few games there I had never heard of. Yes, you are correct Popcorn, this game is played on a snooker table (I should have mentioned that) and with a set of three billiard balls.