PDA

View Full Version : grip question

dmgwalsh
11-24-2004, 04:21 AM
I'm working on a lighter grip, thumb and first two fingers mainly, and trying to add a loose wrist action to my stroke. For those of you who do anything similar, do you keep the action light throughout the stroke? I noticed I was inadvertantly squeezing firmly right at the impact. Now I am trying to keep it loose at impact. Anybody do either? with what results? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RUNaRAK
11-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Dennis,
I think that you will get a variety of responses to this post but here is what works for me.
I have been playing for nearly 20 years and had always gripped the cue with most of my hand and all fingers touching the cue, but I did not think that I was really squeezing the cue. It worked fairly well except when I had alot riding on a match or game and I always wondered why I was loosing my stroke. I did not feel pressure but my stroke would seriously struggle.
Recently I made an adjustment to my grip and my game has become much more consistent and my shots are more accurate.

I played fine before but lacked the consistency that I wanted.

I now grip with the thumb and first two fingers, hold the cue rather ligthly and don't worry too much about my wrist, I let it do what is natural with no tension. This has done a lot for my game and I hope that you find something that works for you as well.

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

Barbara
11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I'm working on a lighter grip, thumb and first two fingers mainly, and trying to add a loose wrist action to my stroke. For those of you who do anything similar, do you keep the action light throughout the stroke? I noticed I was inadvertantly squeezing firmly right at the impact. Now I am trying to keep it loose at impact. Anybody do either? with what results? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You should always keep your grip light on the cue or you will impede its forward motion when trying to draw or force-follow.

But the only problem I have with using the first two fingers (forefinger and middle finger) is that by using the forefinger you may end up steering the cue.

I actually don't use my forefinger, I grip with the latter three fingers on my hand. And when I break, I only use the thumb and middle finger. This was advice from a former WPBA pro.

Barbara

Brian in VA
11-24-2004, 07:19 AM
In taking a lesson with Scott Lee in September, he explained to me what I'd already suspected. Holding the cue too tightly results in a shorter, choppier, no-follow-through jab instead of a stroke. It tenses the forearm and reduces the chances of getting cue ball to do what you want. Since then, I've developed a loose grip with thumb and forefinger only holding the cue and you can see daylight between the cue and my hand. I keep my wrist loose and don't conciously flex it; it just does that. The result is that my shooting and cue ball control has become far more consistent. I keep using the 27 ball drill at the start of every session to build the muscle memory. Without it, I don't think I would have gotten it so quickly. (Made it to 54 straight on the drill, too.) I recommend as loose a grip as you can take on the cue.

Brian in VA

DickLeonard
11-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Which Christ the one that said Turn the Other Cheek or Bomb the hell out of Innocent People. ####

woody_968
11-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Dennis, one of the things Mark worked with me on was a lighter grip. One thing that he got me to notice is when you strike the cueball with a real light grip the cue will sound different. Almost a "ting" sound. Next time you are at the table listen to the sound your cue makes with a tight grip and a loose grip. Not that this is earth shattering info, just something I thought I would point out.

1Time
11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I vary my grip slightly with different shots. I recently improved my grip and some variations of it basically through trial and error, and after 20+ years of playing and it's definitely improved my game. I use a few different variations of the same basic grip since I've found some work better for different shots. I recommend trying different things to see what works best for you.

The force of my grip varies also and is roughly equal to just slightly more than is necessary to hold the butt and maintain control over the cue and the shot. Thus, for a break shot it would be more and for a short speed control shot it would be less, with other shots varying in between.

dmgwalsh
11-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks everybody for their input. I'll work on things this looong weekend. Woody, how did your lesson with Mark Wilson go? Dennis

mworkman
11-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Brian... What is the 27 ball drill???

Thanks, Mark

woody_968
11-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Dennis, the lesson went great! Although I am currently in the "you have to get worse before you get better" phase of my practice. I am glad that I went and will make a post about my lesson in the near future.

Woody

dmgwalsh
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Brian... What is the 27 ball drill???

Thanks, Mark <hr /></blockquote>

9 balls across down near the rack. cue ball in hand one foot behind ob. hit straight in shot up to corner pocket at pocket speed center ball. If you miss start all over again. 3 time 9.

mworkman
11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I will try it..Also, does that mean you are bridging from the rail? Or do you have room to form a bridge on the table?

dmgwalsh
11-26-2004, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Thanks, I will try it..Also, does that mean you are bridging from the rail? Or do you have room to form a bridge on the table? <hr /></blockquote>

Either way. Scott told me to move it out a little if I wanted.
I'd say better practice without the rail