PDA

View Full Version : It's Not The Tool, It's The Operator!

cheese_ball
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A MAGIC WAND??? People, come on, the cue isn't going to play the game for you. I'm really tired of being pounded by newbies; anyone else feel the same way? There are so many good cuemakers out there, and so many fine instruments, that there is NO RIGHT CHOICE!!! Find something that plays well, and stick with it until you outgrow it or break it, then replace it. If you want to find a good cue, there are only three rules:
1)don't buy a Meucci
2)don't buy a Meucci
3)don't buy ANYTHING mass produced (you can find inexpensive customs for around $200.00)

Sorry, I just had to vent. It's almost guaranteed that someone will post about what to buy... just wait 5 min.

OUT
Cheese

Billy_Bob
11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
I knew a guy who was a crack shot. One day he brought in an old warped house stick which he bought at a yard sale for $1. He ran the table! He was making a point.

Personally I think everyone spends their money on the WRONG end of the cue, that being the butt and the name attached. I think it is more important to spend time/money on the tip, tip shaping/condition, and chalking. But even then a consistant tip shape/condition will only help with a small percentage of shots. I think a large percentage of shots can be shot with anything basically...

Tom_In_Cincy
11-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Vent acknowledged.

Curious, why whould you suggest newbies purchase only non-production cues?

Wouldn't they have to ask the same questions about cue makers as they would about production cue manufacturers?

And there are more cue makers than cue manufacturers.

Fred Agnir
11-24-2004, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A MAGIC WAND??? People, come on, the cue isn't going to play the game for you. I'm really tired of being pounded by newbies; anyone else feel the same way? There are so many good cuemakers out there, and so many fine instruments, that there is NO RIGHT CHOICE!!! Find something that plays well, and stick with it until you outgrow it or break it, then replace it. If you want to find a good cue, there are only three rules:
1)don't buy a Meucci
2)don't buy a Meucci
3)don't buy ANYTHING mass produced (you can find inexpensive customs for around $200.00)

Sorry, I just had to vent. It's almost guaranteed that someone will post about what to buy... just wait 5 min.

OUT
Cheese <hr /></blockquote>I think your post is contradicting itself. If it doesn't matter, then why wouldn't you buy a mass produced cue?

Fred

PQQLK9
11-24-2004, 12:05 PM
u r funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
11-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Well Cheese_ball,

What's wrong with buying a Meucci? It's what I started out with and they hit pretty good if I recall. Hope you didn't discourage the newbies out there from asking about cues and other pool related products. It gives us all a chance to give some input.

Is the pressure really getting to you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Even a newbie has something to offer in the way of help to some that aren't. You never know.

The real 3 basic rules are.

1) buy something that you like to look at.
2) buy something that plays well for you and you like the hit.
3) buy something you can afford.

Regards,

C.C.~~lol

cheese_ball
11-24-2004, 02:25 PM
RULE #3) Don't buy anything mass produced.

Less about the cue, more about supporting mom &amp; pop. HOWEVER, there is no Q.C. on mass produced cues. I know this for a fact. I work with many major manufacturers of pool cues, and NONE of them have a Q.C. department. Scary isn't it? While it is true that it doesn't matter what you play with, there's no reason to go throwing money down the toilet either.

Chris-

good point... you are correct... as I stated I was venting out of frustration. EXCEPT... WTD with Meucci? The "Originals" when Bob made them himself, were good cues. Now, I think I'd play better with a broom handle (than spaghetti anyway!).

Popcorn
11-24-2004, 02:39 PM

"I know this for a fact. I work with many major manufacturers of pool cues, --"

In what capacity?

Chris Cass
11-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Ok Cheese_ball,

You busted me on that one. My Meucci was from the late 70's when I shot with a few and sold some in Germany around 1983. I know you need to vent and by all means, have at it.

Regards,

C.C.~~speghetti. lol better yet, tuning fork? LOL

Ives
11-24-2004, 02:55 PM
As a "newbie", I'm not sure what it is exactly your venting about. I started playing pool about a year ago and got totally hooked. So I came to the internet to research my new passion. After clicking on several sites I found the CCB. Alot of usefull info and good people that are willing to help people like me that are looking for info on pool. If us " newbies" are asking questions that you are tired of answering than the simplest thing to do is not answer. The whole point of an open forum is for people to get together with a common interest to share knowledge. New members should be encouraged to ask questions and join in on conversations, not be put down for asking what some consider to be "dumb" questions.

Sorry, guess it was MY turn to vent

Chris Cass
11-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi Ives,

I hate to break the news to you bud. Your not a newbie. LOLLOLLOL

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
11-24-2004, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> RULE #3) Don't buy anything mass produced.

Less about the cue, more about supporting mom &amp; pop. HOWEVER, there is no Q.C. on mass produced cues. I know this for a fact. I work with many major manufacturers of pool cues, and NONE of them have a Q.C. department. Scary isn't it? While it is true that it doesn't matter what you play with, there's no reason to go throwing money down the toilet either.

Chris- <hr /></blockquote>I guess I'll just disagree with your blanket statement. Scary, isn't it?

Fred

SnakebyteXX
11-24-2004, 06:39 PM
cheese_ball [ QUOTE ]
WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A MAGIC WAND??? <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir: [ QUOTE ]
You cannot create experience. You must undergo it. <hr /></blockquote>

The answer lies some where between your question and Fred's tag line. They are looking for a 'magic wand' because they want to believe that with it they can win at playing pool without putting in the many, many hours of practice that it takes to get half way good at the game.

Have you ever stood in front of a fishing lure display in a sporting goods store? Those displays typically have tons of colorful lures every one of which promises you that if you buy IT you will catch a fish (the "Magic Lure"?). The truth is that before you can expect to catch a fish with any lure you must learn the art of presentation, casting accuracy, speed of retrieval, line weight, etc. etc. etc. Although lacking in experience you might convince yourself that a good lure would make an adequate substitute - it's simply not the case. Thus many more lures are designed to catch fishermen than they are to catch fish. Likewise, many pool cues are designed to catch pool players.

Experience involves time, effort, frustration, anxiety, repeated failure, blood, sweat, tears, and practice - lots and lots of practice- but eventually (if you stick with it long enough)you may achieve something akin to success. When and if that time comes hopefully you will have the wisdom to understand that you've earned the skills you have and that they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with 'magic wands'.

Or magic anything for that matter.

Snake

Magic wands are a fairy tale and fairy tales won't get the job done.

crawdaddio
11-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Some cues hit better than others. Which ones are better or worse depends on you.
It's that simple.

Peace
~DC

DialUp
11-24-2004, 11:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr>I'm really tired of being pounded by newbies; anyone else feel the same way?<hr /></blockquote>
Of the many forums I have participated in, I have seen several people, like yourself, who do not understand what forums are for.

Forums are not knowledge bases for people to search. They are for public participation in topics the members have in common. If the subject never changes (ie Pool) then the same topics will come up all the time.

If you don't like it, don't respond...or better yet, find a knowledge base you can read instead...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr>don't buy ANYTHING mass produced (you can find inexpensive customs for around $200.00)<hr /></blockquote>
My last cue purchases were from mass produced runs. I purchased them from this company because they were supporting pool with lots of dollars. I purchased three cues from them because they deserved customers based on their efforts. With a custom cue, chances are, my money would not come back to the hobby as it, most likely, would with the mass producer...

Anyways, custom cues are a luxary of the hobby. They are not required to play your best. They are, simply, a product for the true enthusiast.

DeadStrokeMan
11-25-2004, 01:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr>
1)don't buy a Meucci
2)don't buy a Meucci
<hr /></blockquote>

Being a life long Meucci fan - I TOTALLY AGREE.

I always had a one. Just thought it was the neatest thing. UNTIL I moved to a 'zero deflection' cue. Sold the Meucci within dayz and never looked back.

Now - I've not tried the new "Black Dot", which supposedly has a very low deflection, but the fact is: Meucci has MARKETED that delfection for years. Its insane - what you shoot at (hard r/l spin) is NOT what you see. You must make radical compensation with the Meucci.

Nope - I moved on myself and have say : If you like shooting with a rubber cue - then Meucci is for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I knew a guy who was a crack shot. One day he brought in an old warped house stick which he bought at a yard sale for $1. He ran the table! He was making a point.

Personally I think everyone spends their money on the WRONG end of the cue, that being the butt and the name attached. I think it is more important to spend time/money on the tip, tip shaping/condition, and chalking. But even then a consistant tip shape/condition will only help with a small percentage of shots. I think a large percentage of shots can be shot with anything basically...

<hr /></blockquote>

I shoot much better with a house cue than the Meucci. Because the house cue has less deflection.

Popcorn
11-25-2004, 08:35 AM
"UNTIL I moved to a 'zero deflection' cue".

There is such a thing? What kind of cue are you now playing with?

Ives
11-25-2004, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Ives,

I hate to break the news to you bud. Your not a newbie. LOLLOLLOL

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chris
as far as cue sticks go, i still consider myself very much a newbie.( I play with a low end no name cue right now). Its straight and i put a medium talisman pro tip on it. Seems to play just fine, But i don't have any thing to compare it to. Hopefully when i'm ready to buy a new stick, I can rely on some good advice from this and other boards. Ive learned alot just from participating in this forum allready.
Thanks to you and all other posters for any future advice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Angel_R
11-25-2004, 09:05 AM
OK, my 2 cents. I have had probably 7 different cues throughout my time shooting pool. I started with a dufferin, which was the bomb! As my ability to pay more for a cue was attained, I bought various different makes of cues to include Muecci and other big names. I found they all shot very similar. The only thing I did was change the tip when I bought them. I guess what i'm getting at is I agree with Chris about the three choices you have. I personally look at a cue for it's appearance, affordability. I know that when I shoot my game I'm not gonna be hitting hard enough that the deflection of the cue makes enough difference. I put my Muecci gambler down and now shoot with a "rat" cue. My game hasn't changed. It's just a change. Heck, my next cue is gonna probably be a blackheart, because I never have had one and would like to shoot with one.

This isn't rocket science, my advice is to pick a cue that feels comfortable to you. IMO, how you prepare your tip and maintain it is going to be the most important aspect of any cue you play with.
Oh by the way, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here. Go Bears! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-25-2004, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"UNTIL I moved to a 'zero deflection' cue".

There is such a thing? What kind of cue are you now playing with? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh - I said "Black Dot" - thats the worst one of all, LOL. The "Red Dot" has the low deflection.

Here is the data on deflection rations (yes there is no Zero ...but the difference and closeness to zero is so radical it cannot be ignored.)

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php?sid=80c44c18c526ca5c273cca94c79 6ee23

I shoot with a Mezz &amp; 314 shaft. I want to try the Z, but that darn 11mm micro tip has me spoofed. Its expensive just to "experiment" on such a thing. Eventually I'll buy the Z and give it a whirl ...although my deflection is so low now that its almost pointless to move. What I see is what I get (minus just a smidget).

One thing that I didn't see charted (hard to chart) is THROW. The 314 yeilds MASSIVE throw. Most people that have played a many years "misUnderstand" this throw and simoply state "I miss shots with the 314" and abandon it.

The THROW factor comes from the deflection minimize. The energy is "lost" in the "whippy" shaft is transfered to action on the cue ball. This is VERY benificial if you learn how to use it. Why allow all that good stroke to be "wasted" into the whippy end of the rubber shaft? Its just silly.

trailboss
11-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Give me any straight cue.. production or custom with a Moori tip.. Bam! I am good to go!

onepocketfanatic
11-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Started playing pool at 9 years old, played every day for years,and played with a "no name" cue that was purchased God knows where (I can tell you it was CHEAP)! Played extremely well after many years of practice, got married at 20 and stopped playing for 25 years.
At 45 divorced, and took up the game again(God was I terrible). Bought a production cue (relatively cheap one) to make sure that I was going to continue playing before spending more money.
After playing for a year I met some really nice guys that played in a league and went to Las Vegas every year. Sounded like fun and it just so happened that Jerry Olivier was a good friend of the guys, and they all played with his cues.
Visited Jerry's shop, looked at some cues, picked up one that was nice on the eyes (and one in my price range), ran 3 racks without missing and bought the cue.
My point here is that I have played with "no name" cues, production cues, and a custom cue. Do they hit different, you bet. Is one better than the other....I say it is all what you personally prefer.
I played the best pool of my life with a cue that probably did not cost over 20 dollars, but at that time, I played CONSTANTLY...every waking moment almost (it helped that my folks bought me a pool table when I was 9 years old too). To be good at anything in life it takes lots of practice, discipline, and dedication.
It ain't the stick....it's the person behind it that really makes the difference. If it was the stick, I would go purchase a $15,000 cue and get on the pro tour....heck....better yet..... I would go buy a $15,000 bat and go play pro ball for millions.

wantsumrice
11-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Personally, I've gotten so accustomed to my cue that I can't stand playing with anything less. Maybe I'm just too spoiled, but when I try playing with a house cue, I start getting extremely frustrated.

Yeah, this is something I should probably work on...

Chopstick
11-26-2004, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr>

The 314 yeilds MASSIVE throw. Most people that have played a many years "misUnderstand" this throw and simoply state "I miss shots with the 314" and abandon it.

<hr /></blockquote>

Oh brother, does it ever. I've considered abandoning it for that reason.It just gets to be too much. At slow speeds it will even masse the ball. That extra throw kicking in unexpectedly at slow cue ball speeds is the number one cause of missed balls for me. As I get more in stroke it increases.

Fred Agnir
11-26-2004, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> One thing that I didn't see charted (hard to chart) is THROW. The 314 yeilds MASSIVE throw. Most people that have played a many years "misUnderstand" this throw and simoply state "I miss shots with the 314" and abandon it.<hr /></blockquote>I know this won't matter, but I think you're misunderstanding throw. That's why there is no chart for it.

The 314 will yield more "effective swerve" since squirt (which works in the opposite direction) is reduced. Most people confuse the effects of swerve with the effects of throw. Though throw is important, swerve outdoes throw by a lot. But since spin throw and swerve work in the same direction, most people (probably like yourself) lump them together.

It's a "devil in the details" sort of thing that may or may not find a place in one's game.

Fred

Ross
11-27-2004, 12:48 AM
To put Fred's point in a slightly different way:

Deflection works in the opposite direction of swerve and throw. Swerve and throw are most pronounced for shots hit softly. So for those shots, when shot with a low-deflection Predator shaft, the effects of swerve and throw overcome the small amount of deflection. So they must be allowed for.

In other words, it isn't that the Predator throws the ob ball more or causes the cb to swerve more than another shaft. (At least I've never seen any evidence that it does.) It is just that it reduces the deflection that normally tends to cancel some of these effects.

DeadStrokeMan
11-27-2004, 12:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> One thing that I didn't see charted (hard to chart) is THROW. The 314 yeilds MASSIVE throw. Most people that have played a many years "misUnderstand" this throw and simoply state "I miss shots with the 314" and abandon it.<hr /></blockquote>I know this won't matter, but I think you're misunderstanding throw. That's why there is no chart for it.

The 314 will yield more "effective swerve" since squirt (which works in the opposite direction) is reduced. Most people confuse the effects of swerve with the effects of throw. Though throw is important, swerve outdoes throw by a lot. But since spin throw and swerve work in the same direction, most people (probably like yourself) lump them together.

It's a "devil in the details" sort of thing that may or may not find a place in one's game.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Perhaps - terminology lessons abound /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Point being tho - when you learn how to use this shaft, you can master ASTOUNDING shots. My "soft masse" is VERY GOOD with this cue. I can "round about" balls a good 1/4 inch over 3 feet with great accuracy. I can TRUST my impacts on the CB because I always get consistant response. "Whippy" shafts are VARIABLE in the response - depending upon your stroke length, speed ect.

On another note - when using House cues - grab the FATTEST one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif - it yeilds better response to true eyeShot and you don't have to "learn the cue" as much. I've got a TON of cues at my house - they all 'stink' compared to the 314 shaft. I have 2 shafts and will probaly collect more with other fittings to accomodate Viking, Lucasi ect. That will give me the option to change out butts whenever I want to. I don't think its anything to do with the "spliced pieces", but rather that have placed a "hole" (empty) under the farrow &lt;sp&gt; and a metal sleeve in for about 4" past that. That drives the pivot point back. Look at the chart - at the pivot points. By placing it behind your bridge instead of onTop of it - I believe this is the key reason.

My guess is that someone will discover this and compete with Predator on this one issue - forget the "splices" - thats just a selly thingy IMO.

Fred Agnir
11-27-2004, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> My "soft masse" is VERY GOOD with this cue. <hr /></blockquote>This is probably something that isn't talked about too much. I found the same thing the first time I shot with a Predator shaft. Soft massť shots are easier to do, IMO. The response is more understandable, to at least. Less squirt to counteract, I guess.

Fred

JimS
11-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I don't understand this and can't get my mind around it.

If the shaft is stiffer it makes sense to me that the cb would squirt more than if hit with a whippy shaft. The whippy shaft absorbing some of the energy from the stroke.

Fred....help?

Sid_Vicious
11-27-2004, 09:05 AM
I am certainly no Meucci fan but I did hit with a black dot once and it shot the lights out for me. Seems to me that the black dot was less deflection, maybe it was just me that day, who knows...sid~~~has many cues and likes all of them

Ross
11-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Apparently squirt (another term for cb deflection) has little or nothing to do with shaft "whippiness" (flexibility). People who have tested these things have found that the amount of deflection is almost entirely determined by the effective end mass of the cue. That is, shafts that have less mass at the tip end cause less squirt. The Predator has a hollowed out ferrule, hence less mass in the tip. I assume this process isn't copied by other cue makers because it is patented.

As a demonstration of this effect, someone discovered -- maybe it was Bob Jewett -- that if you attach a little weight close to the end of the shaft squirt goes through the roof.

Popcorn
11-27-2004, 04:22 PM
The ferrule may be propitiatory but I doubt they can patent a hole in the front of the shaft. The shaft I have on my cue I hollowed out and used a lite capped ferrule and I saw a difference in the play, I'm happy with it.

DeadStrokeMan
11-27-2004, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Apparently squirt (another term for cb deflection) has little or nothing to do with shaft "whippiness" (flexibility). People who have tested these things have found that the amount of deflection is almost entirely determined by the effective end mass of the cue. That is, shafts that have less mass at the tip end cause less squirt. The Predator has a hollowed out ferrule, hence less mass in the tip. I assume this process isn't copied by other cue makers because it is patented.

As a demonstration of this effect, someone discovered -- maybe it was Bob Jewett -- that if you attach a little weight close to the end of the shaft squirt goes through the roof. <hr /></blockquote>

Totally true - I read this in the article that I posted a link to above. I've not seen a 'Patent' notice on their website though.

JimS
11-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Now I remember reading that some time ago. Thanks for the reply Ross. I also now remember seeing that study with the weight attached to the end of the cue and the deflection going off the chart. Thanks again for the memory jog.

Stretch
11-28-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Apparently squirt (another term for cb deflection) has little or nothing to do with shaft "whippiness" (flexibility). People who have tested these things have found that the amount of deflection is almost entirely determined by the effective end mass of the cue. That is, shafts that have less mass at the tip end cause less squirt. The Predator has a hollowed out ferrule, hence less mass in the tip. I assume this process isn't copied by other cue makers because it is patented.

As a demonstration of this effect, someone discovered -- maybe it was Bob Jewett -- that if you attach a little weight close to the end of the shaft squirt goes through the roof. <hr /></blockquote>

Totally true - I read this in the article that I posted a link to above. I've not seen a 'Patent' notice on their website though.

<hr /></blockquote>

IMO pool players have been sold down the river by the advent of the various shaft tapers. This more than anything determines the amount of whip/deflection of the cue. Some players like the feel and responsiveness of a certain amount of give associated with whip. But these are players that have a huge amount of experience and are simply tweeking to find the right ballance between "feel" and playability. Then there are some games which lend themselves to different cue requirements. For instance 9 ball lends itself more readily to a stiff shaft because more shots are played with power and a premium is put on staight shooting and pocketing balls. A stiff shaft will give you this. In 8 ball, shots are much shorter in comparison, and touch and control, along with english makes a cue with a little 'softness' a better choice.

For these reasons i favour a shaft with a modified taper. Something halfway between the pro taper, and staight taper. That way i have a cue that is solid enough to handle power shots without spraying the cue ball all over the place yet subtle enough to play the touch and feel short game.

If i had a 'wish list' for my perfect cue it would be this.

-3/4 length with quick release butt section to add extensions. The extra shaft length gives the cue a one piece feel.

-modified taper down to a 12 3/4 tip.

-made of ash. Long grain gives great aiming guides and allows you to shoot with a consistant response because grain is turned up on each shot.

-19 oz./ med.hard tip.

-Notched butt cap for easy back hand reference.

-No wrap.

-59 inches total length.

Can anyone out there make a hybrid like this?? St

pooltchr
11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadStrokeMan when you learn how to use this shaft, you can master ASTOUNDING shots[/quote:</font><hr>

And therein lies the truth! When you learn how your shaft (ANY shaft) will respond, regardless of what brand it is, you become the master of your game! This is why every player likes his or her own cue best...they are most familiar with the playing properties of that particular cue.

cheese_ball
11-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Ives-

You want to learn how to play, I'm sure I can arrange a lesson. You have questions about mechanics? Done. Do you need to ask questions about physics to understand the table better... ok. Do you want to discuss pattern play.. no problem. HOWEVER, no one ever learns to PLAY POOL by discussing their equipment. This is more of a [censored] measuring contest if you ask me. Well guess what, "Mine's better than yours!" LOL!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ives
11-29-2004, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Ives-

HOWEVER, no one ever learns to PLAY POOL by discussing their equipment. This is more of a [censored] measuring contest if you ask me. Well guess what, "Mine's better than yours!" LOL!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Cheese
You had me laughing on this one. I understand where your coming from, but most newbs are excited about there NEW past time. And the one thing that most of them spend there first big money on is a new stick. But for most people, dropping a couple of hundred or more on a new stick is a real scary proposition without doing some research first. And what better place to get good stick advice than a pool forum where people are willing to share there good and bad experiences with buying a new stick. I understand your point as well my friend, in a forum as old and populated as the ccb, theres bound to be repeated questions, but it doesn't make them any less important to the people asking.

ps- I might take you up on those lessons one of these days /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
11-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Cheese, there were a couple questions I was going to ask when this thread started but I didnt, since it is still here I guess I will go ahead and ask LOL

When you say you are tired of being pounded by newbies, do you mean they ask you questions at the local pool room?
Looking at when you registered on the CCB and how many posts you have made I assume your not talking about how many times you have replied to "what cue is best" types of threads. Just wanted to make sure I understand where you are comming from.

Some of the posts on here can get a bit repetitive. But its no fun for them to go searching the old threads for recommendations. A big part of what makes posting boards so appealing is the back and forth interaction on the different subjects. Most of the subjects have been talked about at one time or another. But over the course of a year peoples oppinions can and do change, so I dont mind seeing the same subject lines every now and then. If I dont feel like being a part of a certain subject then I just dont read it.

BTW welcome to the board.

Woody

bomber
12-01-2004, 12:32 PM
First of all cheese ball....people can discuss whatever they wish...newbies are excited about pool and thats why they talk about their equipment...i play with a capone and i love it...it hits great and its what i like....hell, i play pretty damn good with a crooked house cue (not to toot my own horn) so we see your point...but let people be excited...if you dont want to hear it then dont listen...no one is forcing you to read these posts...and one more thing, i got a good buddy that will give ya the seven with his meucci and love every minute of it and ive never seen ya play and you may be a damn world beater but ill back him.

your argument is contradictory, i get so tired of "newbies" at debate who cant do it right...dont post contradictory statements and expect people to think your a genius. If its the operator and not the tool, a production cue (including meucci) should be just fine.

cheese_ball
12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Ives-

You are extremely good natured, well humored, and have demonstrated your intelligence... for this I thank you. You obviously have a good grasp of the world around you. This, along with common sense are rare these days! Furthermore, I would love to play a few friendly games with you if you are ever in Chicago.

Woody-

Thank you as well! You are right senor, I was speaking of being pestered at the local pool hall. It seems I can't go anywhere anymore without answering a million questions about my equipment. There is nothing worse, or more annoying, then being pestered in the middle of a good game or match with a real player.

Bomber-

No offence, but you are an idiot. You speak of contradictions, re -read your last post! You are acting like you've got sand in your vagina b/c I said that I was tired of hearing about a certain topic, after stating that ANYONE can post ANYTHING they wish. Furthermore, you obviously can't grasp the concept of SARCASM. I suggest you go look it up S-A-R-C-A-S-M http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm
BTW, please, if you are going to post "threats" at least state them in the first person. "I'm going to beat you, spotting you the seven with a Meucci" holds a lot more water then saying your friend can do it.

Furthermore to all-
The BD post is the best and ONLY place for these kinds of discussions. True, newbies need to learn. True, one learns by asking questions. However, NOT WHEN I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME!!! The intention of my original post was to vent my frustration after getting pestered by a group of younger players for nearly two hours in the middle of a great match! I was playing one of the premier one-pocket players in the world (who's name will go unposted as it gives away my identity), and I was up 4-1 in a game with no spot!

Rich R.
12-02-2004, 04:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> The intention of my original post was to vent my frustration after getting pestered by a group of younger players for nearly two hours in the middle of a great match! <hr /></blockquote>
And you couldn't politely tell them, you would answer their questions after your match because.............. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bomber
12-02-2004, 07:26 AM
and everyone wonders why pool is in the shape that it is in.

recoveryjones
12-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I know a cue dealer who has sold cues(Layani) to Jennifer Chen and also put tips on her cue as they are personal friends.

Here's an interesting thing he told me that Jennifer said it goes something like this.

People have told her (and we've all heard it said) "let the cue do the work."

Jennifer told my friend, "The problem is, is that some cues just can't do the work, but this one can."

Cues and the tips(properly shaped) placed on the cues can and do make a difference.Ultimatley, however, I do agree it's mostly the ability of the player. RJ