PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue Reviews?

Floss2xDaily
11-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just signed up to the discussion forum this morning, and am very much looking forward to learning a lot from this group. Two quick questions, then I'll step back and probably devour every message on the board.

1) Anyone know of a website that has reviews of major cues?
2) I saw reference in a post to something called the "27 ball drill," and he said he warmed up with it every session and that it was absolutely necessary. Would someone enlighten me to this drill?

Can't wait to hear from y'all,
Ben

Brian in VA
11-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum,

That post was me. The drill involves setting up nine balls in a line across the string line about half a ball width apart. Take ball in hand, for each shot, and shoot a dead stop shot with each ball at pocket speed to the far corner pocket (almost 8 feet on a 9 foot table). After sinking all nine, set them up again and then a third time. If you miss a ball, you have to start over at the first one. Some of the best players around here can't do it without a lot of effort.

This drill has taught me several things. I was trying to build a new stroke, as a result of my lesson; it allows me to do that. It makes you focus on every shot; it's amazing how easy it is to miss this shot. It makes you pay attention to a slower speed; pocket speed is what most shots should be made at. It provides the opportunity to practice something vital over and over; your preshot routine.

One thing to remember, the drill is very distinct. Ball in hand, pocket speed (the ball doesn't hit the back of the pocket), dead stop shot. If you don't follow these, your cheating the drill.

It's also given me a ton of confidence that I didn't have before. As a result I believe I can play better and I do.

Good luck with your game,
Brian in VA

woody_968
11-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Brian, just a couple of things to make sure the he is clear on the drill.

Speed of the shot is important, I was told (during lesson with Scott Lee) to shoot it with a lagg speed, some people will call pocket speed more of the medium speed. Lagg speed is like you said, the ball wont hit the back of the pocket.

While stopping the cueball and shooting the correct speed are important, these are your "margin of error" areas. If you make the ball, but hit it too hard, you get to keep going. But if you miss the ball no matter what you have to start over, this gives added pressure as you go through the balls.

For those of you that start to do this drill dont think you have to get to 27 the first time you do it, it is harder than it sounds /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Start with nine until you get to where you do it fairly easily, then go to 18, then to 27.

Floss2xDaily
11-24-2004, 09:20 PM
I much appreciate the post. I'm lucky enough to have a pool table on my hall (I'm a foolish college student) so I'll be up into the wee hours of the morning tonight practicing that drill. Mixing in, of course, a sound trouncing of all comers who want the table, or so I will fantasize.

Thanks again,
Ben

PQQLK9
11-24-2004, 11:18 PM
1)"Anyone know of a website that has reviews of major cues?"

You might try the dicussion forum at www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com)

Welcome to the board.
Whats the story behind your screen name. Are you a dental student? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian in VA
11-25-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks Woody, I forgot to mention the margin of error piece on the speed and stopping the rock. You're right about working up to it. It took me four tries before I got to just nine the first time and dozens before I got to 27.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brian in VA

Gayle in MD
11-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Brian,
I also do this drill. Just wondering, do you alternate corners when you do it? Nine to right, then nine to left?

Also, sometimes I do the same drill with follow, trying to leave the CB one diamond past the side pocket.

Gayle in Md,

Brian in VA
11-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Gayle,

That's a great idea. I'm going to try it on my next practice session.

Thanks!
Brian in VA

dooziexx
11-26-2004, 08:06 AM
This drill was one of Scott Lee's drill during my lesson with him. I modified it just a little. Instead of lining up 9 balls, I lined up 15, shooting 7 in one corner and 8 in the other. It gets tougher when you are constantly making the balls because in the back on you mind you are counting how many you've pocketed. It teaches you to focus at the task at hand. I think the highest I got was 91 before I straight out missed a shot.

Barbara
11-26-2004, 08:16 AM
I line up all 15 on the side pocket to side pocket line and with BIH 1 diamond back, pocket 7 in one corner pocket and the 8 in the other corner pocket. Try doing this with an open bridge. It's a great concentration drill and it helps you get into stroke as well since it's the same stroke 15 times over.

Barbara