PDA

View Full Version : I have E.D.......anybody know about this...

wolfdancer
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Actually, I don't have E.D. just yet...but I'm wondering what is the difference between Enhanced Defination, and Hi-Defination TV?
I'm in the market for a big screen tv...plasma and lcd are out of the Q...but the rear-projection ones look pretty good to me...I'm confused though about E.D./H.D.

nAz
11-24-2004, 01:25 PM
From what i read and watched the HDs are more sharper then EDs but not by much.
Dude look into front projectors for their price they offer way better picture quality and adjustable screen size, its just a pain to set up a room for it, wires ,cable concealing them and also setting up a screen. if you go the FP way make sure you get one with a DLP (mustang chip) about 3k /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cueless Joey
11-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Enhanced definition is just normal tv with probably a built in line doubler.
High-definition is another animal. Hi-def tv must receive hi-def broadcast. The picture on hi-def tv receiving true hi-def broadcast is as good as a 35MM picture. Hi-def tv's also have the true panoramic/widescreen view ( 2.3 to 1 ratio, width to height). Normal tv's have 5 to 4 crappy ratio that's why movies on pan and scan mode make you dizzy and you miss a ton of pictures from the side.
If you are ready to mount a hi-def antenna or subscribe to hi-def satellite provider or cable, go for hi-def.

wolfdancer
11-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks nAz....the ed at costco is priced much lower then the hd....but I don't see much dif..
And I'm also now confused by front vs rear projection???
I thought they were all the same...
DLP chip...I'll have to look that up
AND.........a BCL ??? iz that one of the techniques discussed in the Kama Sutra? I'll have to do a Google search on that....

wolfdancer
11-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Joey

nAz
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
dude here are some display definitions got this from www.projectorpeople.com (http://www.projectorpeople.com) great site go there and learn all you need to know.. also check out... tutorial (http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/ht-intro.asp)

Naz~~ 15 months away from owning a 5K Home Theater sys. I hope /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
LCD projection technology is the current leader of the pack, having captured the majority of the market share of all projectors sold. Most LCD projectors have three panels. Each panel is a prism that allows blue, red, or green light through its pixels. These separate colors are then converged and projected. Electrical signals turn on pixels within a set based on the resolution of the unit. LCDs are known to produce greater color definition, offering more shades or variations of color than single-chip DLP™ projectors. DLP™ projectors can sometimes burn definition out of the highlights and shadows with their vibrant colors. Newer LCD projectors include special optics enhancers like micro-lens array that minimize pixelization known as the "screen door effect." New LCD projectors have contrast ratios as high as 800:1. By comparison, DLP™ projectors contrast ratios are as high as 3000:1. The portability and brightness of LCD projectors have made them a popular choice for traveling presenters. The lightest LCD projectors weigh-in at about 4 lbs.
Click for larger image.

DLP™ (single chip) - Digital Light Processing
The single-chip DLP™ is the most portable of all our players. Currently you can find single-chip DLP™ projectors that weigh less than 2 pounds. Digital Light Processing is the product of the great minds at Texas Instruments. DLP™ uses a single Digital Mirror Device (DMD) chip that has thousands of tiny mirrors, each representing a single pixel. These mirrors tilt back and forth and deflect light as indicated by the source to create the image. One limitation so far has been brightness. Currently the brightest single-chip DLP™ on the market is just 2500 lumens compared to the 5,000+ lumens of LCD and three-chip DLP™ projectors. Becuase of their deep, rich blacks and high contrast ratios. DLP™ projectors have been a popular choice among home theater enthusiasts.

DLP™ (three-chip) - Digital Light Processing
The three-chip DLP™ has the best looking images of all the players. The three-chip system is much like the single-chip DLP™ only better. The image quality of the three-chip DLP™ is unsurpassed. Unfortunately it is also the most expensive. Today's three-chip™ DLP projectors cost anywhere from $15,000-$30,000 or higher. Unlike CRTs and single-chip DLP™ projectors, three-chip DLP™ can have very high lumen output levels.

Holographic Images on Transparent Screen
Several manufacturers are working on a new and also very chic technology. A projector shines on a thin Holographic screen attached to a transparent surface like glass or plexi-glass. The effect is an image that appears to float in mid-air, which is sure to get attention. Expect to see this hot new display at a store front near you.

OLED - Organic Light Emitting Diode
What is OLED (organic light emitting diode) technology? Experts predict that the new technology will have a billion dollar market by 2007. The implications of the new technology are remarkable, although the impact will not be felt for a few years. Unlike a CRT monitor, plasma display, or LCD monitor, the OLED uses emissive technology. This means that the screen itself emits light, and therefore doesn't require additional hardware for creating light, like tubes or lamps. Less hardware means less bulk. In fact, the screen could be as thin as a piece of paper, as shown here. Today you can find some OLED technology in cell phones, PDAs, and car stereos. In a few years, you may find OLED technology on laptop computers, car instrument panels, and perhaps even a portable presentation device that can be easily rolled up and stowed away.

BTW BCL is a err uh works hand in hand with Kama Sutra

wolfdancer
11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks again for the tech site...and lol at the other
Have a Great Thanksgiving!!