PDA

View Full Version : White spot on table when video taping, need help..

woody_968
11-25-2004, 07:13 AM
I have been using my video camera lately to tape myself while I practice. There is a big "white spot" on the table most of the time. Sometimes it will go away and sometimes it changes size. It is making it hard to see the balls and the layout of the table at times. Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for to take care of this?

Thanks

Woody

Brian in VA
11-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Woody that sounds to me like glare from some light source, especially since it's changing size and disappears. Try moving the camera to other heights and other angles and see if that helps.

Brian in VA

woody_968
11-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Im sure its from the light over the table, just dont know how to get rid of it. Ill try your suggestions but I think it has done this no matter where I had the camera, Ill try again today.

Ives
11-25-2004, 07:51 AM
not sure about video cameras but my 35 mm camera has filters i can attach to the lense to block glare. Might be something to look into.

DennyS
11-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi Woody check the settings on your camera. Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Thanks Denny

HallofFame
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi,

Sounds like "lens flare"

What kind of lights do you have? Fluorescent or Bulb. Are the lights shielded in any way; in other words, is the light directed on the table or allowed to emit throughout the room?

Do you have a lens shield? If it's a home/consumer type camera, did you get a lens shield as an accessory? If not, make one. Get some black construction paper like children use in school and use masking tape to secure it to the camera. Make it in a "cone" shape, so you will not pick up the edges in the lens. Make it long enough so you can trim it down until the edges are not visible in the lens.

Make sure the camera is ABOVE the lights and tilted DOWN.

Are there any mirrors in the room that could reflect this light back to the table; if there is, place something behind them to tilt them DOWN/UP/SIDEWAYS.

Joe R.

woody_968
11-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks Denny, but I wouldnt know which settings to check, that is part of my question I guess LOL

woody_968
11-25-2004, 10:17 AM
HOF, no I dont have a lens shield. The light is a regular 4 bulb shop light type with the cover on it.

I went out today to do some more work on my game, and the "circle of light" was gone when I was taping. So it looks like at night, when the only light or main light in the room is from the one over the table I get the glare on the table. But today when there was sunlight from the outside (I have alot of windows in the garage door) there was no glare on the table. Looks like maybe I need more light in the room at night.

HallofFame
11-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Okay,

Does your camera have adjustable lens openings? If it does, open it all the way to let more light through the lens (F2 or F1.8); if not, yes, you will have to add more light. Does your camera have adjustable shutter speeds, if yes set it as low as possible (norm is 60, try 30 or 15). Home cameras usually do not have these adjustments. It's unusual that a shop light would cause this because that light is well dispersed over an area, what color cloth do you have? This "could" be more of a problem with dark (green) cloth.

Adding more light could become a problem. Sunlight is very strong and well dispersed, so you need "lots" of light to replace this. Here is a suggestion to think about:

If you have a photographic store nearby or maybe over the net, get a 500 watt (WHITE NOT BLUE) photographic bulb, you might be able to get away with 250 but bigger is better. You will need a special photographic socket combined with a shield to direct the light. DO NOT try to use this large watt bulb in a normal light socket. Get yourself 4 or 6 of them, they don't last long. Also, if the store sells plastic filters for film lighting get a GREEN filter to balance the WHITE light to Fluorescent light or else you will get some strange lighting effects, these filters come in various sizes (16 x 24 or 18 x 18 inches); use clothes pins to secure this filter to the shield. You will also need some type of light stand to secure the lighting assembly to.

An alternative to the socket/shield/light stand would be to go into your nearest electrical supply store and get a socket that will handle this wattage, buy a cheap light stand from Wal-Mart, install the new socket, cut the fabric off the lamp shade and use the frame to secure the filter. I would not be surprised if the electrical store didn't have a utility lamp that handles large wattage bulbs; if it does, just get the lamp and bulbs from them. I still would suggest the GREEN filter, you are not going to be happy with the way the color looks if you don't.

One large lamp will take up a lot less room

To set up the light:

First set it along side of the camera and see if this adds enough light; if no, you will have to move the light closer being careful NOT to get lens flare. Here is a film rule for light:

If you move the light half the distance towards the object you want to light you will get "4" times the amount of light; if you move it twice the distance away from the object you will get "4" times less light, this is called the "rule of squares"

Joe