PDA

View Full Version : Practice by yourself or with opponent?

mworkman
11-25-2004, 08:18 AM
I think my game is suffering because I don't get much opportunity to play other people. I practice 3-4 times a week at home and one night a week I play league pool. On league nights I'm not running out as much as I do at home. I think this is because when I'm at home I'm relaxed and in a good rythem. When I'm at league I spend most of the time in my chair waiting for my game to come up and even durring the game waiting on my opponent. Not sure if this is a concentration issue or just that I can't seem to get rolling because of all the sitting around. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Mark

1Time
11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Practicing with an opponent is essential for improving your chances of winning competitions. One invaluable benefit of this is it gives you the chance to learn how to shoot, not shoot, and shoot again at varying intervals. It's best to vary how you practice, with whom, by yourself, and where. It's also best to have very specific objectives in mind when you're practicing.

Barbara
11-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Mark,

This is going to happen for two reason, one of which you've stated - you're more relaxed at home and you don't really have an opponent at home.

Practicing by yourself and effectively using your time to do this and drills is not a bad thing. It's all about the QUALITY of your practice. Are you doing effective drills or just banging balls around?

One time Fran Crimi told me to break a rack, put my cue down, and draw (either with pencil and paper or just walking around the table) a run out situation, or my strategy to run up and play safe. I did this for a while, but I suck at patterns, so after a while, I would just play the ghost. But it's still great advice!

HTH and Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbara

silverbullet
11-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Lack of competition experience, or is it mental?

If a player walks into the poolhall for league play ready to play, relaxed, focused, there are things that could happen mentally when waiting vs, what happens mentally while playing.

Honestly, I have seen some good league players who can string racks have many different problems in the mental game depending on the player. And I have seen some get bored if they were above the skills of the others, and stagnate, which was even worse.I watched these players a lot, at first wondering why they were not playing up to speed.

Heard you say you are not running as many racks, but did not catch whether you are still winning your matches.

Are you losing focus because you are bored sitting, bored with your competition or is it something else? You spoke of rhythm. If you are not above all of your competition, do players playing a different rhythm throw you off?

Laura-->not into leagues but had fun watching

dg-in-centralpa
11-26-2004, 06:00 AM
I practice by myself most of the time. When I get to league, I try to get a game on the table before anyone else gets there. That way I get somewhat familiar with it. If you practice at home before league, are you warmed up and ready to go at the start of the match? If so, talk to your captain about shooting you first. This works for my team, no one wants to be first, so I volunteered and it turned out to be a good fit.

DG

mworkman
11-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Barbara.. I do think I have quality practice as I spend most of the time on drills and only play 14.1 and 8-ball when I finish my drills first. When I practice 8-Ball I've been working on my break, and if I don't make a ball on the break I rerack and break again and then try to run out. I do notice that I don't spend more then about 15 seconds thinking about how I'm going to run it and probably should spend more.

Laura.. I think it is probably both lack of playing in competition and a mental problem. I'm definately not bored as I love to play and I'm even a little nervous and look forward to it every week. I'm still shooting close to my lifetime average and I'm 24-8 this year so far. We play 4 games a night and have played 8 weeks so far this year. 6 of those loses have come on the first game of the night. I seem to do better in games 2-4 as I think I can shake the Jitters by the 2nd game. Also, by then Ive had a couple beers which might have something to do with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I think it does throw me off a bit when I play someone who shoots really slow.

dg.. I ussually shoot last on my team because nobody else really wants the pressure. I do try to warm up a game or two before we start and ussually shoot better durring warmup then when we start /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif The more I think of it, I think it is just nerves on that first game and then I settle down. My teammates are kinda set in thier ways and probably a little supersticious so they probably won't want to switch, but I wouldn't mind playing with the order a little. I will try to get out and play more, but this is hard as I have two little boys 2 and 6 and I can't be out shooting pool all the time.

Thanks for the comments as I think I've figured some stuff out here..

Mark

JimS
11-27-2004, 07:43 AM
I'll bet you'll do better that first game of the night if you slow down.

Take a deep breath between each shot and take about 15 sec to figure out the next three shots.