PDA

View Full Version : Frustration

onepocketfanatic
11-26-2004, 01:53 AM
All of a sudden one day last week I started playing really bad. It was as if someone turned off the "good pool shooting" switch and turned on the "chump pool shooter" switch.
At first I just chalked it up to a "bad day", but it turned into a week long "slump" (with the exception of some flashes of my old self). Mentally by the end of the week my mental pool outlook was fubar (f...ed up beyond all recognition). I learned long ago to try my best to keep my mental picture positive (and not get into that frame of mind that "I'm shooting bad"), but it was just not happening by the end of the week.
By the end of the week I became so frustrated that it was showing outwardly (usually I am pretty calm on the outside and inside..even when losing). I was not just losing, I was literally giving games away with my extremely poor execution,which led to anger and frustration. Even the guy that I was playing (we compete all the time) made comments about my "generosity" and how very uncharcteristic it was of me..
Does anyone have a suggestion or two as to the answer or remedy to my sorry state of pool shooting? The only thing I know is to "play though" the slump. I have continued to take the right shot, and play the correct safe even though my execution has been anything but good.I know what to do, and how to play the game, but to put it plainly my execution has been stinking up the hall for the last week. Any help, past experiences, or suggestions would be appreciated.

1Time
11-26-2004, 03:25 AM
I've noticed throughout the years when I've slumped it was when I was playing a lot and trying hard to play well or to better my game. And although this of course helped me play better, when I slumped I found it best to then take a break from pool.

I'd walk away from the game entirely, stay out of the pool halls, and go do outdoor sports or other engaging activities. I'd commit to this even if only for a weekend or perhaps a whole week but then I'd return to the tables with no hint of the past slump. I recall it always worked.

It's been a while since I last slumped and I'm now pretty much on top of my game. However, I usually only play 2-3 hours once a week so getting away from pool throughout the work week helps keep me hungry for it when I play on the weekend... YMMV.

dg-in-centralpa
11-26-2004, 05:53 AM
I agree. When I get like this I generally take two weeks away from practice, except on league night.

DG

=k=
11-26-2004, 06:08 AM
huh?? you a mind reader? having the same week. of course i just read the snake and cougar post, and trying to apply that and let's just say i am plumb snake bit.. only bright side was the rolls were going my way.. i should have lost match but came out on top. i still felt a looser as i wasn't playing my best.. now to get over slump.. i go to my black belt drill book and pick out a new drill to work on.. by the time i get the black belt i am usally shooting better.. now time to take my snake bite medicine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pizza Bob
11-27-2004, 06:30 AM
I think the preceding posts have the right idea, but here's WHY I think that works. When you take time away from your game, when you return you tend to go back to fundamentals. You forget, probably unconsciously, the strange elements that were creeping into your game and screwing it up - you're back to a "pure" game. If you don't feel like taking time off, try concentrating on your fundamentals. I know I have a tendency to "pop-up", so I consciously have to tell myself to keep down. Eventually you start incorporating these fundamentals into your game and no longer have to think about them - that's why they're fundamentals - duh. When things start to go badly awry, it's usually because you're ignoring a fundamental, or something you are trying to incorporate into your game is displacing a fundamental. Works for me. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

c.holtz009
11-27-2004, 07:38 AM
I envy you guys that slump for a week. I just got through a 6 week lump fest. I was lumping balls all over the place, and couldn't figure it out. Finally, as said in an earlier reply, I got away from it for a bit, then went back to basics, and fundamentals. Finally I look like I know what I'm doing again.
Being in a slump sure can kill a person's confidence, and make things even worse. Getting away from it for a while sure helps.