PDA

View Full Version : Lots of class between Charlie W. and Tony R.

05-20-2002, 05:09 PM
The night before the men's final between Charlie Williams and Tony Robles (this was after Tony beat Cory earlier), I was sitting in the sky-box directly behind them.

Tony was talking to Charlie about the way that the table was playing. Since Tony had played on that table and Charlie hadn't, he had a bit of an advantage going into the final. But being the friends they are, Tony did his best to inform Charlie on the playing conditions.

It was great. It really shows a lot of class between the two. I wish people could see more of that side of professional Pool, and less of the negative aspects. I've met Tony, but don't know him on any personal level. That incident certainly gained a lot of respect with me, and matches some good things I have heard about him from my friends that know him better than I do.

It was great to see.

Doctor_D
05-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Good evening:

Now this is a story worth sharing with the world.

Dr. D.

05-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Yeah. The conversation was very brief (how long can it possibly take to talk about how a table plays? 30 seconds, tops?), but very significant.

Maybe somebody at BD can talk to Charlie and Tony and do a little blurb on the great sportsmanship they showed to each other before, during, and after the match. It was great. Our sport needs more of this (and less of people...ahem...stomping out of a final) to be shown to the world.

Harold Acosta
05-20-2002, 06:53 PM
Copy of the entire post was sent to Tony. Hope he responds.

Harold

Barbara
05-20-2002, 06:59 PM
Mike,

I'm not surprised. Tony is a real sweetheart and a class act to boot! I missed saying hello to him in Vegas - I only saw him in passing with a crowd in the "hallway" and couldn't stop - but I know he'd stop if there was room to say hello. He never forgets a face and has no addytood when it comes to us little pool players and fans.

He's definitely one of those guys you want to say "Salud!" to. I'm only sorry he didn't win the whole pina!!

Barbara~~~loves that Tony guy...

Tom_In_Cincy
05-20-2002, 08:29 PM
http://www.upatour.com/indexupa8x99.htm

And, you might want to chech out the rest of the new players association members.. Especially the rules committee.

Harold Acosta
05-22-2002, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr>

Maybe somebody at BD can talk to Charlie and Tony and do a little blurb on the great sportsmanship they showed to each other before, during, and after the match. It was great. Our sport needs more of this (and less of people...ahem...stomping out of a final) to be shown to the world. <hr></blockquote>

Mike, do I have a treat for you and the other CCBers!

This is a message I recieved from Tony Robles. I had sent him your original post and also said that others at the CCB like Barbara, Fran, Doctor D., etc, were rooting for him.

This is his response:

Subject: Re: We were rooting for you...
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:07:51 EDT

Hi Harold

I cannot thank you and everyone else for the support that I have received.

You are all great people and I am very proud to be part of your lives one way or the other. God bless your souls. Take care Harold.

Your Friend, Tony