PDA

View Full Version : Mens tour on TV

jpeters
11-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know why it is usually the women that are shown on ESPN? Does the men have a tour like the WPBA?

RailbirdJAM
11-26-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't know the reason, JPeters, but I can venture a guess.

The Women's Professional Billiard Association (WPBA) has been in existence for a longer period of time than the United States Professional Poolplayers Association ("the governing body of men's professional pool," UPA), which is currently near the end of its second tour.

The recent Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool, a UPA Tour event held at Grand Central Station, was recorded by ESPN and has aired.

With the UPA continuing its mission to promote men's professional pool, it looks good for the UPA members relating to TV coverage. Hopefully, it is only a matter of time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When speaking to younger male pro players, they are eager to receive TV coverage, in hopes that exposure on TV will provide lucrative sponsorship offers down the road. Those players who are sponsored desire to be on TV which will provide their sponsor some positive exposure on national TV.

The North American Open Tour will be launched this weekend, November 28th through December 5th, at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa in Destin, Florida. According to the flier I received at the U.S. Open, there will be $300,000 in "guaranteed addeds" for the 7-event NAO Tour. The sponsor is the Hilton Hotels. The first stop on the tour consists of two tournaments,a $20,000-added UPA event beginning November 28th, and a $10,000-added tournament open to all beginning December 2nd. The second stop on the NAO Tour will be in Pittsburgh, which is also a UPA event. One requirement for eligibility is that all players must be a registered guest at the host hotel while competing.

I remain optimistic and hope that this is a sign of good things up ahead for the men. Non-pool-related sponsors are sorely needed in this pool world. Hopefully, this is the beginning of better things down the road for the men. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

Eric.
11-26-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr> Does anyone know why it is usually the women that are shown on ESPN? Does the men have a tour like the WPBA? <hr /></blockquote>

Tim,

As far as I know, the WPBA pay ESPN for their televised broadcasts. For a fee, ESPN would probably put the Men's events on TV too.

Eric

theinel
11-26-2004, 07:09 PM
The WPBA has a contract with ESPN. It was a two year deal and a three year extension has just been added. I don't know the details of it but in the past the tour handled the production of the events and the production of the programs and that ESPN did no promotional work. The WPBA has been around for a while, has the support of all (or most) of the women pros (Jean Balukas is the notable exception which is a real shame because she is one of the best), and has strong leadership. They also have great name recognition at the top in Fisher, Korr, Lee, and Laurance.

The men are less united and have had trouble getting behind a single organization over the years. There have been several organizations before the UPA (PBT, PCA) but they have always suffered from personality conflicts and sponsorship issues. There is hope though as the top mens earnings has been rising and the number of official tournaments on the UPA has risen from 6 in 2004 to 7 in 2005 (the WPBA had 8 in 2004). Hopefully the UPA will not suffer the fate of it's predecessors.

Another reason might be that there are a ton of men's sports on TV already and that of 100 womens pro sports only a few (7 or so) are on TV which might be a draw for ESPN.

Vagabond
11-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Years ago the relationships were strained between ESPN and Don Macky,commissioner of now defunct Pro Billiard Tour.Don Mackey felt that ESPN was abusing( taking advantage of ) the men players and he did not want that to continue.As a result the Mens events were discontinued from ESPN.But this was in 1995-96.I do not know now what is going on between ESPN and Charlie Williams pro Tour organization. Men`s pool had golden age during Mackey`s time(I know that he is hated by heaps of people)and I do not think that it will come back.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vicki
11-28-2004, 07:24 AM
The "Skins" Game will be aired on ESPN in January. Whoo-hoo!