PDA

View Full Version : Is straight pool dead?

straightpool
11-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Hello all,this is my first post here.After taking about ten years off from playing pool seriously,I'm back into the old grind again.(I had to do the wife and kid thing!)Boy have things realy changed.A couple of halls I used to play at are no longer around.

To get to my main point.I can't believe I can't find a game of straight pool around. What I mean is a GOOD game. The few people I know that do play are not better than me. Which isn't saying much. How are you suppose to learn the in's and the out's of a game when no one plays it? I asked the pool hall owner if he knows any good players and he just laughed. He told me nobody plays it anymore. I even called a few halls that are farther away from me, got the same answer.

I practice about 3-4 times a week, for about four hours each time.Some weeks more. I could play nine ball until I'm blue in the face,but that game just doesn't interest me as of now.The main thing I want to do is learn. Play someone that is really good,or wise in the game.

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack? Do people still play straight pool? Anyways, I live near Cleveland,Ohio. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2004, 11:56 AM
It is about 50 miles south, but:

Fiddlestix Billard Cafe Inc
(330) 498-8422
5350 Fulton Rd NW
Canton, OH 44718

actually has a 14.1 league.

HallofFame
11-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Well,

Straight pool died because it was toooooooooo boring for the "holy almighty" TV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AND

Because the kids today are too stupid to play it, 9 ball is easier; for example, "I just made the 1 ball, what do I shoot next?, Oh yeah, the 2 ball". You can get any five year old to tell you that. RIGHT! OR, as Alice Cramden would say; "the Robin's egg blue ball" I'm sure that confuses the kiddies, they never saw that color 2 ball before, have they? In other words, please tell me what ball to shoot next because I don't know /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd forget about the league thing unless you're REALLY desperate to play straight pool; if it's like the APA, TAP, or any bar league it's handicapped and full of wanna-be hackers who have no interesting in learning anything and are just out for recreation pool (which is okay). /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't know how old you are but I'd suggest you find some players your own age or older (old timers like myself still enjoy a GREAT game of pool) and revive the game amongst yourselves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And if anyone's insulted by this, just remember what Jack Nicholson said;

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

"just the fact Jack, just the facts."

HOF

dmgwalsh
11-26-2004, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

I'd forget about the league thing unless you're REALLY desperate to play straight pool; if it's like the APA, TAP, or any bar league it's handicapped and full of wanna-be hackers who have no interesting in learning anything and are just out for recreation pool (which is okay). /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HOF
<hr /></blockquote>

I would think that anyone who would go through the effort of finding and playing in a straight pool league just might have an interest in learning and playing straight pool. I'm in two straight pool leagues and most of the 35-40 players have an interest in learning, playing, watching and talking about straight pool. Dennis

Bob_Jewett
11-26-2004, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote straightpool:</font><hr>... Do people still play straight pool? Anyways, I live near Cleveland,Ohio. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>
Around here there is a 14.1 league in three rooms. The high run so far this season is 113 (108-and-out and five more). The handicap method and tables are listed at http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm

If you want to play straight pool, just start your own drop-in league.

wolfdancer
11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Bob, where do you guys play now...Calif Billiards?....and who had the high run? thanks, jjd

woody_968
11-26-2004, 04:45 PM
It may not be dead, but it is certainly wounded! There are people around trying to get people to play the game again (like me) but it is a tough battle. Those that have never played or studied the game dont understand the toughness of it, they actually think nine ball is harder because you only have one ball to shoot at.

I just started to study the game a few months ago, and fell in love with it. Im not very good at it yet, but its sure fun to try and learn this game. I have a couple of books and was lucky enough to get several videos that have really helped me. Accustat tapes with good commentary is one of the best ways to learn about the game.

I have considered driving an hour each way every week just so I could join a straight pool league as there are very few people around here that will play. But on the bright side I have had a few people start to play so I still have hope.

nail
11-26-2004, 04:47 PM
It's not dead as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the Syracuse,N.Y. area and we have three 14.1 leagues running in the winter and two in the summer. They range from 10 to 22 players. I think anyone who enjoys pool and wants to play a game that requires thought would love straight pool (IMO).

Popcorn
11-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Yes, it is insulting and condescending. It's an attempt to make yourself sound superior. The use of the words like stupid or want-to-be's is not at all called for.

theinel
11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm in Florida which has a higher percentage of seniors than many states which may make my area a bad judge but I see enough straight pool to say that it is not dead but it's not likely to be on TV any time soon. Most of the people playing it are older but lots of the younger guys watch it and ask about it.

I think that one-pocket has probably captured many potential 14.1 players for several reasons but mostly because even if you aren't winning you get a lot of turns whereas in 14.1 against a decent opponent you spend a lot of time in the chair.

nhp
11-27-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> Well,

Straight pool died because it was toooooooooo boring for the "holy almighty" TV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AND

Because the kids today are too stupid to play it, 9 ball is easier; for example, "I just made the 1 ball, what do I shoot next?, Oh yeah, the 2 ball". You can get any five year old to tell you that. RIGHT! OR, as Alice Cramden would say; "the Robin's egg blue ball" I'm sure that confuses the kiddies, they never saw that color 2 ball before, have they? In other words, please tell me what ball to shoot next because I don't know /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't know how old you are but I'd suggest you find some players your own age or older (old timers like myself still enjoy a GREAT game of pool) and revive the game amongst yourselves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And if anyone's insulted by this, just remember what Jack Nicholson said;

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

"just the fact Jack, just the facts."

HOF
<hr /></blockquote>

And alot of those "stupid kids" play alot of one-pocket. But that game is for dummies too, right? I think you should quit pool for a while and take some anger management classes.

Try to face the reality that most of the 'kids' these days were exposed to 9-ball, and only to 9-ball. It's the fault of fanatics like yourself that let the game of straight-pool die. Instead of whining about it, why not do something about it? Who are you calling dumb now?

monkeydude20
11-27-2004, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote straightpool:</font><hr> Hello all,this is my first post here.After taking about ten years off from playing pool seriously,I'm back into the old grind again.(I had to do the wife and kid thing!)Boy have things realy changed.A couple of halls I used to play at are no longer around.

To get to my main point.I can't believe I can't find a game of straight pool around. What I mean is a GOOD game. The few people I know that do play are not better than me. Which isn't saying much. How are you suppose to learn the in's and the out's of a game when no one plays it? I asked the pool hall owner if he knows any good players and he just laughed. He told me nobody plays it anymore. I even called a few halls that are farther away from me, got the same answer.

I practice about 3-4 times a week, for about four hours each time.Some weeks more. I could play nine ball until I'm blue in the face,but that game just doesn't interest me as of now.The main thing I want to do is learn. Play someone that is really good,or wise in the game.

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack? Do people still play straight pool? Anyways, I live near Cleveland,Ohio. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

Straight pool is definetley not dead. Straight pool will never die as far as I'm concerned. As long as Willie Mosconi holds the record of 526 balls, there will always be a good deal of pool players who are gonna go after that record. You're not alone, there's just more nine ball players nowadays because thats where the real money is. Straight pool however is the hardest game that billiards has to offer. It requires the most skill and most patience, and that scares some people. My advice would be to go to a town that is laid back and patient and has some good action. If you're looking for some good straight pool action, try looking at the different pool halls at http://www.poolrooms.com/map.htm

Popcorn
11-27-2004, 11:45 PM
" Straight pool however is the hardest game that billiards has to offer. It requires the most skill and most patience, and that scares some people. "

No debate, just would like to hear why you feel this is the case.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-29-2004, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>
....I'd forget about the league thing unless you're REALLY desperate to play straight pool; if it's like the APA, TAP, or any bar league it's handicapped and full of wanna-be hackers who have no interesting in learning anything....

<hr /></blockquote>

Although popcorn and dmgwalsh already called you on this I just have throw my 2 cents in.

The Cincinnati straight pool league, and I would assume most other straight pool leagues, are a far cry from the APA. It is very presumptive and condescending of you to talk in such non-glowing terms about something about which you are obviously uninformed.

Cleveland
11-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I am in a straight pool double elimination tournament at Jillian's in Cleveland Heights. I live in Strongsville. Let me know if you want a game. Also I read in BD on line just now that a straight pool player named Steve Zadd of Kurtland Ohio won the BD nine ball run out contest

Deeman2
11-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Wally,

I just happened to sit down and watch that old Jim Rempe vs. Efren 14.1 match on tape last night. That was Efren's first 14.1 touornament and he ran 127 against Jim. Beautiful game. I don't mean to sound trite but I have never seem anyone play 14.1 aside form my wife and I, since I left Pennsylvania almost two years ago. There may be some in Dallas or Houston but I've never heard of it around here.

Deeman
a super game to play, a hard one to master...

Wally_in_Cincy
11-29-2004, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Wally,

I just happened to sit down and watch that old Jim Rempe vs. Efren 14.1 match on tape last night. That was Efren's first 14.1 touornament and he ran 127 against Jim. Beautiful game. I don't mean to sound trite but I have never seem anyone play 14.1 aside form my wife and I, since I left Pennsylvania almost two years ago. There may be some in Dallas or Houston but I've never heard of it around here.

Deeman
a super game to play, a hard one to master... <hr /></blockquote>

Dee, we are fortunate to have the Cincinnati Straight Pool League with about 36 players ranging from D to A level. There is no handicap. That's ok because I enjoy playing the good players and learning from them. And 99% of the time good sportsmanship prevails.

Many thanks go to John "Amazing" Grace, tireless promoter and grand pooh-bah of the CSPL.

I usually end up playing about 35 or 40 matches a year in the CSPL but unfortunately my Wedbesday night sparring partner moved to Sacramento and is now hob-nobbing with the big guns at Hard Times.

Any Cincy or Dayton players out there who would be interested in playing some with a single-digit runner, please send a PM.

NBC-BOB
11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Here around the northeast it's mostly 9 ball.For me I play straight pool every sat,but the majority in the rooms that I frequent only play 9 ball.I know there are some straight pool leagues around,the area which doesn't interest me, at all,but there available for those that are .Sure would be nice to have some 14-1 tournaments in the NYC area like back in the early 90's.

Bob_Jewett
11-29-2004, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Bob, where do you guys play now...Calif Billiards?....and who had the high run? thanks, jjd <hr /></blockquote>
California Billiards, Shoreline, and a place in San Ramon.

The high run was by Andrew Barlow, who is mostly a snooker player, on a double-shimmed GC3. He finished 3rd in the APA amateur championships in 1998. The run included a shot in which the last two balls were almost frozen on the side rail not far from the side pocket, and he banked one of them cross-side and moved the other one into standard break position. Just the sort of shot you might expect from Lassiter.

daviddjmp
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
The place in San Ramon is called Crown Billiards. I got back into pool about a year and a half ago after a 12-year layoff. All I practice is straight pool. One day, I went to the room where the league was going on and the LD asked me to join as he noticed I was playing straight pool. Been playing in that league ever since, and we are talking about starting some regular tournaments as well. In other places, when I am practicing SP, a number of players have expressed interest and I have gotten a number of games that way. In my opinion, the best way to promote straight pool is to play straight pool.

Williebetmore
11-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Certainly there is less (ie. very, very little) competitive straight pool than the other games. But it is not dead in Indy. We also have a straight pool league (about 50 years old), and I agree with WallyinCincy that 95% of our players are very good sports (about the exact opposite of the local 9-ball tournaments), who love the game, and who are interested in learning more about it. I know many of the younger professionals who love to play straight pool, and appreciate it for the beauty of the game, and for the improvement it brings to their play in all other games.

I think it is a GREAT idea to introduce the game to new players. The ones that I have started playing straight pool, all love it (even played at a rudimentary level). I think it is a GREAT idea to think about starting a local straight pool league. It wouldn't be very hard, and would most likely be a lot of fun. I have been thinking of starting a summer 14.1 league so I have some competition in the summer.

As far as learning good straight pool, it is possible, even in the absence of good competition (but certainly more difficult). Get the straight pool instructional videos by Jim Rempe (Accu-Stats), get some Accu-Stats videos of straight pool competition among the masters, and get Phil Cappelle's "Play Your Best Straight Pool." You will be well on your way to a strong game. There are instructors who play extremely good straight pool (Mark Wilson, Jerry Briesath, Danny DiLiberto, Jeff Carter), and a lesson or 2 from them is worth the hassle and expense of travel.

nail
11-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Popcorn:
The BCA considers 14.1 the greatest all-around test of a players skill. IMO these are some of the reasons why I would agree:
Safety play: In 9-ball, you have to keep your opponent from hitting, or pocketing, one particular ball. In Straight Pool you have to stop your opponent from pocketing any ball.
Position play: Although you often have to play long distance position in 9-ball, you generally have a much larger landing zone for the cue ball (up to a foot or more) and still have an angle for your next shot. In Straight Pool, you strive for the least amount of cue ball movement, often requiring you to have pinpoint position within a fraction of an inch. A delicate touch with the cue is as important as letting your stroke out.
Knowledge: Please donít take offense to this, but compared to Straight Pool, 9-ball is a "no-brainer" game. 9-ball players generally only think 2 or 3 balls ahead, unless thereís a cluster to deal with. In Straight Pool you have different variations and styles of pattern play, often involving 5 balls or more. You have a break ball to deal with. You have a key ball to position yourself for the break ball to deal with. If you donít have a break ball or key ball already in position, you often have to manufacture them by bumping balls into position. You have more traffic on the table (15 versus 9 balls). You have more combination shots. You have clusters coming out the wazzoo. The list goes on and on.
Before everyone (esp. 9-ball players) jump on me, I want to make it clear that I appreciate all billiard games. I also realise that most of the top 9-ball players would be the best 14.1 players if staight pool was the top money game. I'm just hopelessly addicted to staight pool.

Justaguy777
12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Is there a video of Willie Mosconi's staright pool run of 526 balls, and if so, does anyone know how I can obtain a copy?

Thanks guys!

Bob_Jewett
12-26-2005, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Justaguy777:</font><hr> Is there a video of Willie Mosconi's staright pool run of 526 balls, and if so, does anyone know how I can obtain a copy? ... <hr /></blockquote>
It wasn't filmed, and VCRs didn't exist at the time. The closest you can get to witnessing it is the affadavit signed by the spectators and maybe an article in the local paper at the time. (I think the article was reprinted in P&amp;B or NBN a while ago.)

dmgwalsh
12-27-2005, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Justaguy777:</font><hr> Is there a video of Willie Mosconi's staright pool run of 526 balls, and if so, does anyone know how I can obtain a copy? ... <hr /></blockquote>
It wasn't filmed, and VCRs didn't exist at the time. The closest you can get to witnessing it is the affadavit signed by the spectators and maybe an article in the local paper at the time. (I think the article was reprinted in P&amp;B or NBN a while ago.) <hr /></blockquote>

Boy, this got bumped from a year ago!

So what do you think, Mr. Jewett? Is straight pool dead, as the recent article suggested, or is it making a modest comeback?

Will there be any filming of the DCC straight pool challenge?

Dennis Walsh

shakeybake
12-27-2005, 08:46 AM
I live in the Ithaca area. Is there anyone close who would want to play 14.1. I may even travel, however, Syracuse is quite a ways.

Dale

netsomnia2
12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Here's one from a newbie to oldtimers. What is straight pool? At first I thought you were talking about straight 8-ball but then after I read more, it became obvious that I don't have a clue. Maybe it's because the halls I visited were more interested in snooker and 8 ball.

What's up with this game? I grew up in pool halls! Should I be teaching my boys this game at home or something? What's the object?

Bob_Jewett
01-02-2006, 11:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> ... So what do you think, Mr. Jewett? Is straight pool dead, as the recent article suggested, or is it making a modest comeback?

Will there be any filming of the DCC straight pool challenge?

Dennis Walsh <hr /></blockquote>
Well, there's going to be a World Championship in May/June in NYC, the Europeans are setting records for averages, and there is some chance we'll get the record competition (if not tournament) high run on video. It's not clear how much of the challenge will be taped, but I'm hoping that the finals can be scheduled on the TV table.

As for what 14.1 (straight pool) is... Just shoot any ball into any (called) pocket. When you've cleared off all balls but one, put the other 14 back up and continue. The high run (consecutive shots made) in exhibition is 526, and the highest in competition is 182 (IIRC).

codewarrior
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Club9 in Mentor, OH has an in-house straight pool league. There are one-pocket and straight pool games going on all the time.

demondrew
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Diamond Mill (Flint, MI) has a straight pool league. January 12 (Thursday nite) at 7:00pm. Handicapped, all skill levels welcomed. Nine-foot Diamond tables.

Deeman3
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, it sounds like straight pool is at least off life support, maybe it will stage a nice comeback...

Deeman

Tom_In_Cincy
01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Cincinnati, Indinapolis, Canton and Columbus all have thriving 14.1 leagues.
The Cincinnati Straight Pool League is in its 8th year, Indianapolis has on that has been going on even longer and the Canton league has been in play for over 10 years.

OnDSnap
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
It's live and kicking in Bergenfield,NJ

curly
01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Tom, Cleveland has a pool league that's played at Wickliffe Lanes on Thursday nites for almost 20 years. On a given nite, straight pool and 9-ball matches are played and individual standings are kept for each as well as handicaps. It's been very successful and mostly a social type league with good competition. BTW, no straight pool in Sactown?

Curly

Gerry
01-15-2006, 06:19 PM
14.1 will never be dead. When people who get into pool from seeing the IPT realize that playing quality straight pool will make you a better all around player, the game will make a come back. the Derby city tourny also shed some much needed light on the greatest of games.

here's an interesting story. I played a little 9ball with a young guy who was a good player, and we were breaking even. I suggested another game to make it interesting. Of course I said 1pocket, he said NOWAY! then we started talking about 14.1. He did'nt want to play because he was'nt versed in the safety game, but running balls was "easy" for him. So, I said "let's try the Derby city style of game where you set up a break ball and go from there". So we played 20 beans a try. He went first and ran He 23, respectably. I set one up and went 38. We did this a few more times, and He really seemed to like the challenge. I had a best of 58 that session, and He wanted to try some more next time working on patterns. I think this might be a fun way to transition younger 9ballers into 14.1..........What do you all think?

Gerry

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
No 14.1 in Sactown... except when I play with a friend.
The game is too slow for the players out here.
Even One Pocket is faster than 14.1

I've seen 3 games of one pocket played in 12 minutes in our yearly one pocket tournament.

Duckie
01-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm still at the ball banger level, so take this for what it worth. I recently did my first league 14.1 game and really enjoyed it. So much that I did 2 matches in one night. I lost both matches, but learn alot.

I learned you really got to plan ahead in shot making. Not that you don't need to in 8 and 9, but I think more so in 14.1. It was enjoyable to watch my opponent slowly pick away at the rack, nudging balls out for shot making or breaking the rack open when needed.

Got to know where the cue ball is going after your shot. Sometimes you have to put it on a spot and not just in a certain area of the table. Got to see how the path of the cue can be used to break the rack open.

The importance of safety shots stood out. Something I am really weak in but had to learn to use.

No slop shots was nice. Too many times I've had a game of 8/9 be decided on a slop shots, both for me and against me.

Being able to hit any ball makes for some cool shots. It allows for more combo's and neat shots like making a ball deep in the rack by knowing how the balls will spread once hit. I did one of those in my first match.

I'm so looking forward to this Wednesday 14.1 league game. I don't know why more don't play it. It will only enhance your game.

Merdy
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Any details on the straight pool league in Cincinnati? I am very interested in playing. I think it is at Michael's now right? What night is it and when does the next session start?

I have been palying APA but am getting tired of it.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I suggest calling Michaels as soon as possible. The CSPL may be starting the Spring Session soon.