PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day blues.......

JimS
11-27-2004, 08:17 AM
It's raining outside. Nuttin to do. Can't go outside and play. Can't get any yard or house repair chores done. Nuttin to do /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess I'll have to just "suck it up" and stay here in the family room with my Diamond Pro and my South West ....ALL DAY! Life is tough and then you die. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Then this evening I spose, since the wife is out of town, that I could drag myself down to the new pool hall.

I can't begin to express my gratitude that finally, after 30 plus years without a decent place to pplay pool, that we now have a great room. Eight brand-spankin new GC's, 3 Valley's, good food, foxy bartender's. Life is good. I'm thrilled. It's been open for 9 days/nights and I've been there 7 of those 9 nights. I've seen only a very few of the other local pool players in there. A few normal folks each night but only me and 4 or 5 of the local pool players. I can't figure it out. Nice place, great tables, nobody shows up. Pool just is not very popular in this burg. We have a guy who puts on an 8 ball tournament once a month. It's the only place/time to play pool (except for league) and a total of 8 to 12 guys show up. This from a town of 30,000.

When, in about 6 months from now, they close because of no business I'll not have to take the hit for not supporting them.

Barbara
11-27-2004, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> When, in about 6 months from now, they close because of no business I'll not have to take the hit for not supporting them. <hr /></blockquote>

Can you say league?

Seriously, why not start an in-house league for 8-ball? It doesn't have to be teams, it could be individuals playing each other once a week until everyone has played everyone. Pay off 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the end.

Barbara

JimS
11-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi Barbara,

They had a sign in sheet on the front counter last night. That does give me some hope that they'll make it. Since this is the only place to play on 9 ft tables for 50 miles around then an in house league is what I'm hoping for.

I'll be promoting the idea of a morning league for us old farts and/or unemployed or 2nd shift folks.

Popcorn
11-27-2004, 08:59 AM
They have only been open 9 days, it could take a year to really get going. If the nut is not too high and they are not undercapitalized they will be there for a while. If they do go under in a few months, take a look at the numbers, you may want to take the place over and give it a shot yourself.

Popcorn
11-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Do you know he owners? Is the owner a player? You have to walk lightly, people don't like someone telling them how to run their business. May be best to just stay on a casual customer basis and just enjoy the place. I am sure they have some ideas as to what they want to do.

Ives
11-27-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> It's raining outside. Nuttin to do. Can't go outside and play. Can't get any yard or house repair chores done. Nuttin to do /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess I'll have to just "suck it up" and stay here in the family room with my Diamond Pro and my South West ....ALL DAY! Life is tough and then you die. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Love those rainy day blues, having one myself today, snowing outside, wife went to sisters for the day. House and table all to myself. Between the computer and the table, life is good. !!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
11-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Since I"ve been there almost every day since they opened I'm getting to know the owners and workers and I'll be telling them what I'd like to have available. I won't suggest ideas to improve anything....just tell them that I'd love to play in the morning so how about trying to get something going in the way of an morning league.

They are very open to suggestions also. I went in a few days ago, about 7 pm, and the music was cranked way up. I got some balls, went to a table, noticed how LOUD the music was and decided I'd just go back home and play. When I went back to the counter he wanted to know what was wrong and when I told him he immediately went over to the bar and turned the music down.

The owner is a pool player and I was told by the counter man last night that now the policy is to turn the music up AFTER 10 pm so they can accomodate the old fart pool players early in the evening and the late night drinking crowd later on.

Popcorn
11-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Watch that old fart stuff, you and I are probably about the same age. I go in the pool room and feel about the same as I did when I was a kid. It is funny sometimes, someone will point to some kid with earrings a something sticking out of his nose and say, "Look at that, are you kidding me". Mean time I'm standing there with a full length beard long hair looking like a biker or something. We're all a little different in some way. I actually like kids and get along with them. I don't care for the loud music in pool rooms. Since most of the older crowd come in earlier they can have a policy of different music at different times and accommodate everyone. As far as the leagues go, you can just start one yourself if you have a few friends. Maybe getting a little break on the tables. It's a small place so they have to maximize the take based on peak hours but you could agree to play on their off hours. I think the main problem they may have is the place is small, there are only so many peak hours in a week and a lot of hours when you make nothing. With that few tables even during peak times the gross is not great. I had a small 9 table room and bar once, but the rent was also only $500. a month and forget about insurance, no one sued you back then and the kid who worked for me made $2.00 an hour. Even at $1.20 an hour per player I probably made more money then a lot of places today because of their huge overhead. I hope your new place does well, it can be a tough business today.