PDA

View Full Version : pro players and tables observation

onepocketfanatic
11-27-2004, 09:59 PM
When I play at the local hall here in Houston we play on a 9 footer with double shimmed pockets (Gold Crown). One thing for sure is if you don't hit the back of the pocket, the ball is not going to fall. A very very slight bump at a very slow speed very near the pocket might fall, but most likely it is going to hang in the "jaws".
When watching the pros on TV or in person I have noticed that the tables seem to be very forgiving. I have witnessed many shots would in contact with the cushion (on corner pockets)between the second or even third diamond from the pocket fall as if they never touched the rail. It would seem to me that the pros would be playing on tables that are "very unfogiving", but that does not appear to be the case from what I have seen.
Could someone elaborate on this observation for me? Do they play with shimmed pockets, or are the pockets the "standard" size? Is it an optical illusion since I am not that close to the action?
It just seems to me that lately I have seen a lot of shots fall that would not even be close on the talbe we play on here locally.

Popcorn
11-27-2004, 11:59 PM
I have played in a few tournaments and one of the things I have noticed is, that the tables are usually just freshly set up with new cloth and nice polished new balls . Even with small pockets they will still play forgiving. The players know this and know good pocket speeds to take advantage. Balls shot down the rail will just slide right in. Tables played on in most pool rooms that have a little wear on them, will play tougher then most tournament tables.

JimS
11-28-2004, 08:21 AM
The new room here in town opened up last week with new GC's and they are very forgiving. I've been astonished several times this last week noticing some of the shots that drop on these new GC's and knowing that they would not have been even close to dropping at home on the Diamond Pro.

Maybe they'll be more demanding after a few weeks.