PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kinsey on Values

SecaucusFats
11-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Excerpt from the LA Times:

"Its been less than a month since the gods decreed that, due to the election results, American political life henceforth must be all about something called 'values.'

I gave it my best. Honest. But I'm sick of talking about 'values,' prentending I have them or care more about them than I really do.

Sick of bending the political causes I do care about to make them qualify as 'values.'

Values have a wonderful quality not shared by other political issues that are more reality based: They can be nearly cost free.

This is often true in the simple economic sense that practical problems cost money whereas spiritual problems, even if real, usually don't.

It's also true in the political sense that value based issues usually don't require much of a political tradeoff on the part of the voters.

Why should anyone care whether the people running the government have good values?

A country whose political dialogue is all about values is either a country with no serious problems or a country hiding from serious problems."

END

Just when you think they might get away with fooling the masses, they come out tell you what they really are! There is a God! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SF

Gayle in MD
11-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Good post SF.
Gayle in Md.