PDA

View Full Version : Frank Glenn passed away.

Barbara
11-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Smorgass Bored at AZBilliards posted that Frank Glenn passed away. No details of what or how it happened.

I'm sorry to hear this as I just met Frank at the CCBIII tourney at the US Open this year.

My condolences to Frank's family.

Barbara

Eric.
11-29-2004, 08:37 AM
I just read it too. I was fortunate enough to meet Frank in VA this year, my thoughts to his family.

I have a pic of him but don't know how to post it here, maybe I can email it to someone to post?

I believe he had Cancer.

Eric

DennyS
11-29-2004, 08:46 AM
How sad!I only met Frank once while i worked the weekend at Valley Forge last year in the Stroketrainer and Quick Clean Booth.He was such a nice guy and we soon became friends. Rest in peace my friend.I believe Frank Died of Cancer. Sure wish they would find a cure soon! Denny

SnakebyteXX
11-29-2004, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a pic of him but don't know how to post it here <hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing pool in my grandfathers basement in 1957 at age 10. I didn't learn much, but had fun. When I went in the Navy in '65, I started to play on bar boxes (7' coin op tables) and played until 1973, when my first child was born. I didn't play again until 1994. I bought a 7' table and started over from scratch (a little pool humor). Since then, I have progressed to a fair player and have traded the 7' table for a 9' table. I love to shoot one pocket, and 8 ball, and I hate 9 ball. If you will be in Richmond, VA, email me, and we can maybe shoot a game.

Frank Glenn
<hr /></blockquote>

Frank Glenn (http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/rsbrogue/g.htm#glennf)

Frank loved the game and was always willing to help answer questions for anyone who asked.

He will be missed. RIP Mr. Glenn.
Snake

Wally_in_Cincy
11-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update Barbara.

This is sad news indeed. God rest his soul.

Rich R.
11-29-2004, 09:13 AM
I first met Frank at VF, last year. Of course, I saw him again at the CCB Tournament in Virginia.
Through his posts on the various message boards, and a few short meetings, I came to believe he was a very nice man. He will be missed. My deepest sympathy goes to his family.

Here is Frank at the CCB Tournament.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/peb944d325fbf7891090c03fb3a5705d7/f6f6476f.jpg

catscradle
11-29-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Smorgass Bored at AZBilliards posted that Frank Glenn passed away. No details of what or how it happened.

I'm sorry to hear this as I just met Frank at the CCBIII tourney at the US Open this year.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

May Frank Rest In Peace. Real nice guy who will be missed even by those of us who only saw him once a year.

Incidentally, anybody from MA serious about pool will probably recognize the name Jim Balkus. He also passed this weekend, also at age 58. RIP Jim.

PQQLK9
11-29-2004, 09:30 AM
How sad to read about Frank. My condolences to his family and friends.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
A good man, who will be missed

Steve Lipsky
11-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Truly sad news. I never met Frank, but he seemed like a really nice guy. My condolences to all those who knew him.

- Steve

stickman
11-29-2004, 10:09 AM
My condolences to his family and friends.

pooltchr
11-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Frank was a great person and a passionate pool player. He will certainly be missed.
Steve

9 Ball Girl
11-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Frank was a nice guy. I had the opportunity to meet him at the CCB Tourney and he sat at our table during the CCB dinner. During the CCB tourney, he'd revealed to me that the reason he almost didn't make it to VA was because he had just had his first visit to the Doctor and the Doc had told him that he has cancer but that he wasn't sure how far along he was. He also told me that it was prostate cancer--I think.

He was so sweet. We partnered up several times during the CCB tourney, once as partners and then a couple of times as opponents. He was a decent player but most of all an overall nice guy. That is the impression I got from him and he had all good things to say about everyone during the dinner and the tourney.

The way he was at the CCB Dinner:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/pc1130c9bd13f361d89aa5948071c2464/f6fd9b10.jpg

Frank will be missed. My condolences to his family.

tateuts
11-29-2004, 10:43 AM
That's too bad - I remember the thread where others talked about his illness. I always enjoyed his posts and I especially enjoyed his upbeat manner and how he was dealing with his illness.

He wanted to go to the U.S. Open and meet all of you here at the CCB - and he got his wish.

I hope that is an inspiration to us all to do what we can while we can do it. Frank sure did. In my business which is travel related, I meet people all the time who postpone their life's adventures until they retire. Sometimes by then health issues hold them back and keep from really enjoying themselves.

Whether it's travel or some other personal goals, I advise everyone I can to budget into their schedules and busy lives a little something of their dreams as they go day by day, year by year, and not wait to do it all at once.

Chris

Ives
11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
My condolences to Frank's family. His informative posts will be missed by all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jimmy B
11-29-2004, 12:00 PM
RIP pal.

JB

woody_968
11-29-2004, 02:05 PM
I am sorry to hear of Franks passing. While I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, I always enjoyed the thoughts and oppinions he was kind enough to share with us on the boards.

He will be missed.

Woody

Ross
11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Really sorry to hear this. I only knew Frank from the CCB tourney but he seemed like a really nice guy. I think he enjoyed himself there and I hope it helped him take his mind off his illness for awhile. My condolences to his loved ones and all who knew him well.

Karatemom
11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
We just got the terrible news this afternoon as I was helping Chris read his email, so I am writing this for him.

Although my meetings with Frank were very small, he offered to give me a ride back to the hotel because I didn't have one the day of the CCB tourney. We talked about his family, his sons that he loved so much, and the game that he loved so much. He had offered me free board the next time I come up to play in the Open if everything went well. I told him of some of the things that I had to go through with the things he was then starting to do, chemo, radiation. He loved listening to non commercial 70's hits . He loved country western music. It seemed like Frank and I were friends for years although we had just met. He loved his family and talked about how much fun it was to be at the tournament. I could see how much he enjoyed at the tournament, but I could also tell where he wanted to be, and that was at home with his family. Frank knew a lot about the game, which surprised me. It threw me for a loop and I didn't expect it. I really liked Frank. I wish his family the very best.

Regards,

C.C.

cueball1950
11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Frank....May the Good Lord watch oevr you on your journey home and may God welcome you home with open arms. Rest in peace my friend. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family and loved ones........................mike

dg-in-centralpa
11-29-2004, 05:21 PM

DG

SecaucusFats
11-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Frank Glenn was a good and decent man, he will be missed by many. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family.

SF

Kato
11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
I think it was pancreatic cancer.

I only met him once, what a nice guy. He'll be missed.

Kato

eg8r
11-29-2004, 08:45 PM

eg8r

DavidMorris
11-29-2004, 09:30 PM
My condolences as well... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
11-29-2004, 10:31 PM
I didn't know Mr. Glenn except from here, so I went back and read a number of his past posts to get to know him a little. more. He sure liked pool and from the obituary had a very full life. The post surrounding the ccb dinner and tournament at this years US Open sound like he really enjoyed himself and meeting all you. It would seem he may have been sick when he attended but made it anyway. It is not the length of a life but the content and quality of a life that matters. I am sure he didn't waste a minute. Below is his obituary I pulled off the net and a little poem for a vet. I know he was in the Navy but I like it and it applies to all who serve.

Franklin Collis Glenn
Mr. Franklin Collis Glenn, formerly of Marion, N.C., died Saturday, November 27, 2004 at St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, Virginia after a brief illness. He was born April 18, 1947 in Bethesda, Maryland to the late Wylie J. and Anne Elizabeth Glenn. He was united in marriage to Jane Frances Williams on May 27, 1972. After graduating from Marion High School in 1965, Mr. Glenn served in the United States Navy for 14 years where he attained the rank of First Class Petty Officer. While in the Navy, he received training in nuclear mechanics, which prepared him for his career of 25 years with the Dominion Virginia Power Company. Mr. Glenn worked as a Supervisor/Operator of the Reactor for the company. His wife of 32 years, Jane Williams Glenn; two sons, William Wylie "Lavelle" and wife, Diane Glenn of Roanoke, Va.; Sean Michael and wife, Lisa of Atlanta, Ga.; four grandchildren, Tatiyanna, Tylicia, Trista, and Nicholas survive Mr. Glenn. Also surviving are three brothers, John Glenn, Pat and wife, Beverly Glenn, and Jay and wife, Glenda Glenn, all of Marion, NC; one sister, Beverly Anne Glenn of Winterville, N.C.; one nephew, Joshua Glenn; and one aunt, Miriam Glenn Bennett, both of Marion, N.C. In addition to his parents, Mr. Glenn was preceded in death by his grandparents, Sheriff Frank D. and Mildred Collis Glenn of Marion, N.C. Mr. Glenn enjoyed providing for his family, fishing, hunting and was an above average pool player. Additionally, he was a member of the Charles T. Morton Masonic Lodge #232 of Norfolk, Va. for 34 years. He was also a member of the VFW. The family will receive friends at the Glenn residence in Richmond,Va. on Tuesday, November 30 from 2 to 4 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the American Cancer Society.
Published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch on 11/29/2004.
Guest Book Flowers Gift Shop Charities
--------
JUST A COMMON SOLDIER
(A Soldier Died Today)
by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives
Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.
Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

landshark77
11-29-2004, 11:08 PM
I only knew Frank from the various message boards. I do not recall ever speaking with him directly in a thread, but I have read many of his posts. He seemed like a wonderful man, and in at least one instance, that I recall, quite humorus.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Glenn family.

CarolNYC
11-30-2004, 04:41 AM
I can't believe this!!!!

My sincere condolences go out to Franks family and loved ones!

Carol

PQQLK9
11-30-2004, 06:22 AM
Thanks Popcorn...

Deeman2
11-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Nicely done, Popcorn. May Frank rest in peace and his family take comfort in the many freinds he made. We will all be there one day and it would be nice to be remembered by friends both known and unknown like the sentiments expressed above. God Speed.

ras314
11-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Like several others here I only knew Frank from the CCB dinner and tourney. He seemed to have a good time and was a friendly person in spite of his illness.

May he rest in peace.

dmgwalsh
11-30-2004, 09:54 AM
I want to add my condolences to those of others on the board. I only knew Frank through his posts, but he seemed a good man and he will be missed by all. Dennis

JohnnyP
11-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Tap Tap Tap.

Thanks Popcorn

Fred Agnir
11-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Sad news.

I've known Frank since 1997 or so, from RSB. He posted under his name as well as Spydermurphey. He was one of the first RSB/CCBers I met outside of New England. It had become a yearly tradition to hook up with Frank at Valley Forge. I have had the pleasure to have raised many a drink with the man, as well shoot the proverbial $hit for hours on hours, into the wee hours.

He will be missed.

Regards,

Fred Agnir

Frank_Glenn
12-01-2004, 09:01 AM
hi,

this is frank's oldest son, thank you all for your condolences and great thoughts about my father. he truely loved playing pool and talking about it. dad had pancreatic cancer, that had been progressing for some time undetected. he passed quitely on saturday, at least now he can be happy and is no longer in pain. it is really nice to know he had so many friends all over the place, that got to enjoy doing the things he loved most. On a happier note, he did find out before he died that my wife had a baby boy on friday, Nicolas Emanuele Glenn. I know dad is happy and watching over all of us.

thank you again! he will be missed by us all!

lavelle glenn

PQQLK9
12-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply Lavelle and congratulations on the new baby and yes your dad his watching over you.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Lavelle,

Thanks for writing. Your dad was a good man. Congratulations on the birth of your son.