PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 opening break ?

Ives
12-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Hey everyone
have a couple of questions on the opening break for straight 14.1 pool. I know you have to call your ball and pocket on the opening break or the cue ball has to hit a rail after hitting an object ball first plus two other object balls have to hit a rail, but to stay at the table
do you have to meet either one of these or do you have to make your called shot? Not real clear on this.

Also, any tips on making a called shot on the opening break?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-01-2004, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Hey everyone
have a couple of questions on the opening break for straight 14.1 pool. I know you have to call your ball and pocket on the opening break or the cue ball has to hit a rail after hitting an object ball first plus two other object balls have to hit a rail, but to stay at the table
do you have to meet either one of these or do you have to make your called shot? <hr /></blockquote>

To stay at the table you would have to make a called shot. If you don't make a ball it's just like any other safety. You give up the table.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr>
...any tips on making a called shot on the opening break? <hr /></blockquote>

When playing for fun I have seen players call the head ball in the side but it is generally not a wise move.

Fred Agnir
12-01-2004, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Hey everyone
do you have to meet either one of these or do you have to make your called shot? <hr /></blockquote>

To stay at the table you would have to make a called shot. If you don't make a ball it's just like any other safety. You give up the table.
<hr /></blockquote>I so don't understand the question.

If you fail to make a called ball off of the opening break, you have to meet the 2-balls-to-a-rail requirement. So, you'd have to stay at the table if the opponent asks for a rebreak.

Obviously if you missed any called ball, you don't stay at the table.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Fred

Pizza Bob
12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
To stay at the table you would have to make a called shot. If you don't make a ball it's just like any other safety. You give up the table.<hr /></blockquote>

Except that, as the original poster pointed out, two OB's must go to a rail. A safety on anything but the opening break, of course, requires only one OB to the rail or the CB after contacting an OB.

The head ball in the side, as mentioned is one opening shot, another is the corner ball banked to the headrail corner pocket. Both of these shots are extremely low percentage, and you'll never see them used in competition among high-caliber players. I did, however, see Mosconi use the headball shot in an exhibition.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ives
12-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey Fred
Just wondering if you met the cueball and 2 balls to a rail requirment, do you still keep shooting, or does your opponent get the table. I'm just getting into straight pool and wasn't sure. I know if you don't meet it than its a foul and your opponent can have you rerack and break again or he can except the table as is and shoot. Thanks for any info. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Hey Fred
Just wondering if you met the cueball and 2 balls to a rail requirment, do you still keep shooting, or does your opponent get the table.

<font color="blue">If you meet the requirement and do not make a called ball, your opponent gets the table. </font color>

I'm just getting into straight pool and wasn't sure. I know if you don't meet it than its a foul

<font color="blue">To be more specific, it is a 2-point foul, rather than a normal foul, which costs you one point. </font color>

and your opponent can have you rerack and break again or he can except the table as is and shoot.

<font color="blue">Correct </font color>

Thanks for any info. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
here's your rules. click on "game rules" and then on "14.1 continuous"

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

6.6 OPENING BREAK
Starting player must either (1) designate a ball and a pocket into which that ball will be pocketed and accomplish the shot, or (2) cause the cue ball to contact a ball and then a cushion, plus cause two object balls to contact a cushion. Failure to meet at least one of the above requirements is a breaking violation. Offender’s score is assessed a 2-point penalty for each breaking violation. In addition, the opponent has the choice of (1) accepting the table in position, or (2) having the balls re-racked and requiring the offending player to repeat the opening break. That choice continues until the opening break is not a breaking violation, or until the opponent accepts the table in position. The three successive fouls rule does not apply to breaking violations. If the starting player scratches on a legal opening break, he is charged with a foul and assessed a one point penalty, which applies toward the “Successive Fouls Penalties.” The incoming player is awarded cue ball in hand behind the head string, with object balls in position.

Ives
12-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Thats what i needed
thanks Wally