PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot with a Jacoby?

Rollthecheez
12-01-2004, 09:40 AM
I am in the market for a new cue and I have found what seems to be a great deal on a Jacoby. I am not real comfortable buying a cue without hitting with it first but I won't have that chance.

How do these cues play? I like a cue with a stiff hit, would I find this in a Jacoby? How is the construction of their cues? Would they be considered a production cue?

Thanks for any help!

DavidMorris
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Jacoby's are custom, and by most all accounts are nice cues. Of course everybody looks for something different in a cue, so I'm sure some will tell you that you can do better. I like the look and feel of Jacoby's, and their prices were reasonable when I last checked. They do tend to have a nice solid hit, some might call it stiff. Depends on what you're used to shooting, I guess. Compared to say a Meucci, I'd call it stiff. You can have one built with a Jacoby shaft or a Preditor 314, which would of course have a different feel.

I talked to Jacoby last year about having a new cue built for me, we settled on price and features, but at the last minute some Real Life (tm) issues came up and I couldn't afford the cash outlay. I plan to revisit them in the near future (hopefully) and finally have that cue built...

bomber
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
i used to play with a jacoby and loved it...however, i switched over to a Capone and havent looked back since....i would suggest testing out a Jacoby before investing...a cue is kinda like a car...if you are gonna pay good money for one, make sure its the one that you really like...the internet is a good place for some advice, but it cant replace holding one in your hands....everyone looks for different things in cues so everyone will tell you different things....i swear by Capone but i know people who hate them....

i have my own personal theory about cues and cue shafts...if you are gonna change to a predator shaft, then the cue isnt for you in the first place....just my opinion which isnt really worth a whole lot to anyone but me! lol

Fred Agnir
12-01-2004, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rollthecheez:</font><hr>
Would they be considered a production cue?

Thanks for any help! <hr /></blockquote> The Jacoby Cue should be in a classification that normally isn't discussed on forums. Yes, they are production. Low production volume. Yes, they are custom. See the Inside Pool Magazine February 2004 article on Jacoby Cues.

They belong in that in between low volume production market. Those include but aren't limited to Jacoby, Pechauer, Schuler, and even Schön (though Schön typically doesn't take custom orders as the other three are apt).

Fred

trailboss
12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I recently tried a Jacoby and a Josey. Both were sneaky pete designs. The Jacoby played good and hit good but, Kieth Joseys cue hit stiffer and played a lot better for me. This is just my opinion but in my eyes the Josey was the superior cue hands down! I didnt tell my buddie this to spare his feelings on his new Jacoby.

SpiderMan
12-02-2004, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rollthecheez:</font><hr> I am in the market for a new cue and I have found what seems to be a great deal on a Jacoby. I am not real comfortable buying a cue without hitting with it first but I won't have that chance.

How do these cues play? I like a cue with a stiff hit, would I find this in a Jacoby? How is the construction of their cues? Would they be considered a production cue?

Thanks for any help! <hr /></blockquote>

I've been playing with my Jacoby for three or four years now. I initially bought it on looks (it has great wood and the finish is superb) and later thought I didn't like the stiff hit and forward balance. It balanced several inches more forward than my Meucci, though this is probably just due to the fact that the forearm is ebony. Other Jacoby cues may balance and hit differently.

Anyway, once I became perfectly used to the cue I found that it plays extremely well. I'd have a hard time giving it up. BTW, this cue stays in the case behind my truck seat practically year-round, in temperatures from 20 to 105, and it is as straight as the day I got it.

SpiderMan

Rollthecheez
12-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I have made up my mind to grab this deal while it is still around. The description for this cue says it has a "custom joint and butt cap" and after looking into it I have found that it is a Cocobolo joint and butt. How does this kind of joint hold up? Does it change the hit at all?

Thanks!

trailboss
12-02-2004, 09:35 AM
I have a cocobolo cue that is not a Jacoby but, it will deaden the hit since it is a dense wood compared to maple that gives a lively hit. It appears you are going to get it so please post latter on how it plays. Thanks!

houseman
12-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I have had my Jacoby for about 4 years now and you wont get it from me unless you pry it from my cold dead hands. Seriously I love this cue and even more after the predator shaft install. It just works for me and the finish and leather wrap are outstanding.
I gave a customer $400.00 worth of table time for the cue. It was to heavy for him at 19.5 oz