PDA

View Full Version : Antique table question

Rangercap
12-02-2004, 06:28 AM
A friend of mine recently obtained an antique table from her father. Though thought to be a Brunswick, it appears that it is not. Some of the main differences are that the slate is cut square at the pockets (not rounded like modern tables), and that there are wooden inserts that create the shelf and radius of the pocket. This seems very suspicious, since other Brunswick tables of the early 1900's I have seen clearly show the slate with rounded pockets.

The table is very similar in style to the Aviator model, yet does have some additional wood detailing. There is a Brunswick plate, but it most likely a substitute for the original.

Also, the balls return to a drawer, and the drawer is constructed such that the it can be shut and locked (a novel idea). Anyway, I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

bb

wolfdancer
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
I had an old Brunswick catalogue, but gave it to old boss, along with their 100 yr anniversary book...so i have no ref book to help out
But, if you go to www.rebcobilliards.com/ (http://www.rebcobilliards.com/) Bob has all the Brunswick antiques pictured there. He told me once, that other manufacturers, used to just copy the Brunswick designs, in those days...