PDA

View Full Version : 3-Foul Rules in Gambling

nhp
12-03-2004, 03:27 AM
I played a guy today who is from back east, either he is a road player or he is just visiting. We played $40 sets even. In the third game, I had scratched on the break, he played a good hook, and I scratched a second time. On the second hook, there was a cluster of about 3 balls, so it was very easy to hide the cueball behind it. He told me "you're on 2", meaning that if I scratched a third time, I would lose the game. I told him that we didn't agree to play 3-foul, and he got upset, saying that the 3-foul rule is a part of the game. I told him that out here where I live, you have to agree to that before the match starts. I also told him that if I knew we were playing 3 fouls, I would have blasted the balls apart to get a good spread, as my chances of hitting the 1-ball were very slim. So an argument ensued, and he was telling me that I was just trying to get an edge on him. So I told him that we can finish that set and the next set we could play with the rule.

Was I in the wrong? It's been a long time since I've played 3-fouls in a gambling session, in fact, I don't remember every playing 3-fouls for money. I know it's common in tournaments, but is that rule a part of 9-ball, and should be included in every game, even gambling? If I knew we were playing 3 fouls I would have played the shot differently. What do you think?

woody_968
12-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Well IMO you were wrong. It is in the rules and since it is in the rules I think you should be responsible for telling him before hand that you dont play 3-foul rules. Instead of him having to make sure you both agree to play by the rules that are already set.

I understand where you are comming from though. In our area we normally dont play 3 foul on the bar tables, so I could see this being a problem. But on big tables the rule is always in effect, around here anyway.

Woody

Troy
12-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Yes, it's in the Rules.
At most tournaments it is announced at the Player's Meeting that the 3-Foul Rule is in effect.

Similarly, it should be decided PRIOR to starting a money session that the 3-Foul Rule is in effect or not in effect. To do otherwise is changing the rules during the session.

Troy

Cueless Joey
12-03-2004, 09:05 AM
In my neck of the woods, 3-foul rule has to be stipulated before a gambling match starts.
If it's not stipulated, it is not on.

Rod
12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
It needs to be called before you play, not during. The rule isn't used all that much on the local scene. If it is such as tourneys it is announced or known to that tournament. That alone tells me it has to be stated before hand. Not much of a road player, calling a petty three foul. What happened?

Rod

SpiderMan
12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Invoking 3-foul in the middle of a game wouldn't fly around here, as it's generally assumed not to be in effect unless stipulated and agreed. Sounds like your "road player" doesn't get out of town much. Did this game cost you the set?

SpiderMan

Bob_Jewett
12-03-2004, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I played a guy today who is from back east, ... three fouls comes up ... What do you think? <hr /></blockquote>
Around here, it is very common to ignore that rule during gambling matches. But the rule is in the book. If the visiting player had asked "what house rules do you play by around here?" before the match started, you would have had a chance to say, "no three-foul, no ball near the cushion, and it's OK to push out with the side of your stick." Or maybe you wouldn't have said anything and 3-foul would have applied.

nhp
12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
We broke even and he quit, he told me he'd play me for more next time around.

tateuts
12-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Nat,

New player in town, huh?

He probably hasn't played much in L.A., because nobody I know plays it gambling. If I were a stranger in town, I think I would get the local rules straight before matching up - so I think he was out of line for getting upset about it.

I always ask if 3 foul is in effect or not when I'm playing strangers - this more habit than anything else since it is a relatively "new age" rule to me.

Chris