PDA

View Full Version : Learning

Mike D2
12-03-2004, 11:10 AM
I am trying to teach someone that plays out of my pool hall. He has been playing for about 2 years now and is 17 years old. He has the ability to be good. I only being 17 to can show him stuff but he won;t listen the same way as someone older. Well anyways. What are some good books and good Vidoes that will help this Kid out and make him a better player faster?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Play Your Best Pool by Phil Capelle is a really good book. Or find an instructor.

PQQLK9
12-03-2004, 11:37 AM
When the student is ready the teacher will appear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Tiffany Nelson is from NH. I think she lives in NJ. Maybe she would give lessons if she's in the neighborhood some time.

pooltchr
12-03-2004, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> When the student is ready the teacher will appear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well said, Nick!
My best students are the ones that seek me out. I used to try to offer help to new players, now I just hand them my card and tell them to call me when they want to improve their game.

Billy_Bob
12-04-2004, 08:58 AM
A lot of people have seen me practicing drills and improving my game right before their eyes. Only one has asked for a copy of my drills and then practiced them regularly. He beat my socks off the other day! I have given copies to other people and they never practice them. They are not improving any.

I play a guy at my house and he can't jump a ball. Each time he tries, he can't even get the ball in the air. he says he needs to practice jump shots. Every time I offer to let him practice, he says no, maybe later. Prefers to play rather than practice. He is getting no better at his jump shots, while I am practicing mine and improving at a slow steady rate.

Another guy plays at my house and "peeks" at my practice sheet. I have offered to give him a copy. Does not want a copy. I have offered on many occasions to let him practice using my drills. Only once did he say yes. He was bad at combo shots. I showed him drills for combo shots. He is now quite good at combo shots. But not improving at anything else! Just wants to play.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink! I would suggest not trying to help others unless they ask for help.

Angel_R
12-04-2004, 11:17 AM
I would be interested in seeing a few of your practice shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSAPOLIS
12-05-2004, 03:53 PM
I have lots of material available for free at my web site. Feel free to stop by and take a look. There is enough there to keep your student busy for a very long time.
Good Luck &amp; God Bless
Blackjack David Sapolis (http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12)

dr_dave
12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike D2:</font><hr> I am trying to teach someone that plays out of my pool hall. He has been playing for about 2 years now and is 17 years old. He has the ability to be good. I only being 17 to can show him stuff but he won;t listen the same way as someone older. Well anyways. What are some good books and good Vidoes that will help this Kid out and make him a better player faster? <hr /></blockquote>

www.engr.colostate.edu/pool (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/pool) might be of interest to a young Internet/TV-generation kind of kid.

justbrake
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> I have lots of material available for free at my web site. Feel free to stop by and take a look. There is enough there to keep your student busy for a very long time.
Good Luck &amp; God Bless
Blackjack David Sapolis (http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12) <hr /></blockquote>

Hi-David, just wanted to say I been by your site awhile back and copied and paste, printed and read it all and it was really good reading material.

Thanks-Steven

One
12-13-2004, 04:00 PM
All books are garbage. He should learn everything by himself. LEARN PHYSICS !!!

I have read books when I was a beginner and then I had to forget everything I learned.

Snooker videos are good to watch to understand the physical part of the game (stance and stroke). Don't watch pool videos because they all have a bad stance and stroke.

The mental part is 90% and is the most important thing. To understand physics more you need to replay and re-do shots all the time. The only way you can do that is with a computer simulation, Virtual Pool 3 is currently the best, tell him to buy that.
I wasted 7 hours per day in the pool room and thousands of dollars wasted, and didn't improve my game at all. I only improved from Virtual Pool 3, I figured that out when I had wasted 5 years in the pool room.

Bob_Jewett
12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> All books are garbage. ...
<hr /></blockquote>
Does this include what you have written on your web site? It seems quite like a book to me.

One
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> All books are garbage. ...
<hr /></blockquote>
Does this include what you have written on your web site? It seems quite like a book to me. <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, but I don't take paid for it. Nobody should.
"All knowledge should be for free and accessible by everyone" - One

I am just giving away my knowledge that lead me where I am now. But the knowledge is still not correct, but it is good enough to help others reach the level I am in now.

Popcorn
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
"But the knowledge is still not correct, but it is good enough to help others reach the level I am in now."

That is a strange statement, you teach what you know is incorrect?

wolfdancer
12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Bob, If I spent 7 hours a day, for 5 years....and didn't learn anything...I'd have a hard time blaming it on a book, or books. There's some interesting ideas on that site....not valid ideas, but interesting
... like the idea that Daedalus had for him and his son....I'm not sure Patrick's ideas will fly either

One
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Bob, If I spent 7 hours a day, for 5 years....and didn't learn anything...I'd have a hard time blaming it on a book, or books. There's some interesting ideas on that site....not valid ideas, but interesting
... like the idea that Daedalus had for him and his son....I'm not sure Patrick's ideas will fly either <hr /></blockquote>
I kept getting better very fast but I didn't realize that it wasn't real pool I got better from.

Popcorn
12-13-2004, 05:58 PM
This is Patrick right?

One
12-13-2004, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> quote
"But the knowledge is still not correct, but it is good enough to help others reach the level I am in now."

That is a strange statement, you teach what you know is incorrect? <hr /></blockquote>
Right now I know that the knowledge is 100% correct, because it is based on my current knowledge and intelligence level. But I have been 100% sure of something many times and then found out I was wrong. So I don't believe I am correct even if it is 100%.
"Everyone are correct when it is based on their own knowledge" - One
"The more you believe in something, the further you are from the real truth." - One

Example: Computer analyzed data makes me the most intelligent human on earth.
True = 100%.
False = All humans are pretending to be stupid.

There are many things to take into consideration until you can decide something is 100%, many of them I don't know of. You can never be 100% sure of something, even if all information shows it is 100%.

One
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> This is Patrick right? <hr /></blockquote>
This is Patrick. I thought you knew.

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
I am guilty as sin, you got me. Thing is with me is that I learn from watching people but I also have swiped secrets when they are given to me, several one hole players have offered single secrets and believe it or not(I detest 1P) I've gained from several of these experiences.

I think it a male pride thing in part, I myself have a super mentor of yesterday whom I have become defensive with simply because he is critical of my left handed option, his slur when I miss one is stinging, and I take it personal, dumb huh. Anyway, I'll probably create my own roadbolck to expertise with this attitude, but that's the way I am. I'll tell you this though, I feel great when I exceed all on my own, it makes my game special to me. I guess you could say that I want to work an ALL of my game without the work involved in doing drills, which makes for a lot of dissappointments before any gain. Still this is where I am in my pool playing, and I doubt that except for the intermittent secret I do latch on from various players, I will remain. Just being truthful and I somehow believe that many of us testosterone driven player reside in almost the same mindset...sid

Popcorn
12-13-2004, 08:18 PM
You will excuse me if I don't read any more of your posts.

One
12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You will excuse me if I don't read any more of your posts. <hr /></blockquote>
"The only way you can enjoy something is when you don't know the complete truth" - One