PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Hot Cuemakers

trailboss
12-03-2004, 03:20 PM
What are the top ten hottest cuemakers? I don't mean the best cuemakers but, the most sought after.. Southwest is probebly number one! I am just asking for opinions!

Cueless Joey
12-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Barry Szambotti is number one imo.
Joel Hercek after that.
David Kershenbrock, Pete Tascarella and Danny Tibbits round up the others besides SW.

justbrake
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> What are the top ten hottest cuemakers? I don't mean the best cuemakers but, the most sought after.. Southwest is probebly number one! I am just asking for opinions! <hr /></blockquote>

it's not always what you know but who you know , that means if you know the cue maker your wait won't be that long for a cue, you could say well this one has a waiting list of 5 years or more but if you know him you'll get it a lot quicker and thats a fact. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so what i'm trying to say is most of your answers will be the ones with the highest waiting list.

Barbara
12-03-2004, 04:19 PM
All I can say is that I waited my whole life for my Szamboti and it cost me every cent I had!

Barbara~~~two cue woman, one for the bar, one for the other serious play!

Barbara
12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Barry Szambotti is number one imo.
<font color="red">Yeah, he's hot all right!!</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Joel Hercek after that.
<font color="red">I have to check out Joel's cues next Expo, I hear he's quite the cuemaker and he's good buddies with Barry.</font color>

David Kershenbrock, Pete Tascarella and Danny Tibbits round up the others besides SW.
<font color="red">I haven't heard of Danny Tibbits, but David and Pete are well known for great cues!!</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara~~~thinks Pechauer makes a great cue, too!!

Pelican
12-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I've never seen anyone put a Richard Black in the dumpster.

Later, Pel

crawdaddio
12-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Well I'm not sure he fits in this list, but he made the best cue that I have ever hit with. They're hard to get as well.
Zylr.

~DC

Jimmy B
12-04-2004, 01:53 AM
All the guys mentioned are great, but I think everyone has heard of them and they are legendary, I'd like to slant it a bit towards the next gen guys. Newer cuemakers. I'd say right now Jerry McWorter (not so new) is doing some of the best designs and great execution other new guys doing great stuff Ed Pruett,Paul Fanelli,Dave Baerenbrugge, and Bob Manzino. These are some new HOT names and from the work I've seen if you haven't heard of them you will soon. As far as the legends go you can never go wrong with Ginacue, Schick, Stroud, Hercek, Tascarella, Szamboti, Wayne, Scruggs and many others, but I wanted to get some new names out there of guys doing GREAT work and Guy's who have their own look, true artists.

JB

Rich R.
12-04-2004, 04:42 AM
Along with all of the other names mentioned, I think Mike Lambros needs to be on the list.

I can't see how you are doing to whittle this list down to ten. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bob
12-04-2004, 06:22 AM
My favorite cues and this is just based upon looks because I do not play pool are:

Cognoscenti ~ Bob has several and loves them! He seems to think it is one of the best cues made.

Samsara and Mc Worter because they are just beautiful works of art in my book.

Eydie

Barbara
12-04-2004, 06:36 AM
Eydie,

Did you get a chance to look at Allen Hopkins' pretty Cog up close? The inlays are just awesosme!

Barbara

Popcorn
12-04-2004, 07:09 AM
what do you mean you don't play pool?

Bob
12-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Yup that's the truth. I do not play pool. Bob is the player in the family. He came in 8th last year at Valley Forge and used to run the roads many years ago. I love to just watch and promote.

I have not seen Alan's Cog, but now that you have mentioned it, I will make sure I take note when I see him next.

Joey Gold is a long time old friend and made Bob's Cog custom for him many years ago. Haven't seen much of Joey in the past year since he recently got married and sold Cognoscenti to Lucky.

Eydie

buddha162
12-04-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob:</font><hr> Haven't seen much of Joey in the past year since he recently got married and sold Cognoscenti to Lucky.

Eydie <hr /></blockquote>

Okay--how do you sell your own custom cue company to someone else???

Sorry if that sounded abrupt, but I'm very curious how this happens.

-Roger

Rip
12-04-2004, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob:</font><hr> Haven't seen much of Joey in the past year since he recently got married and sold Cognoscenti to Lucky.

Eydie <hr /></blockquote>

Okay--how do you sell your own custom cue company to someone else???

Sorry if that sounded abrupt, but I'm very curious how this happens.

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

You'll probably hear of this happening again soon with another big name cue maker. A deal is in the works and is going to surprise a lot of people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Happy Holidays,
Rip

Popcorn
12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Unless it is a one man shop you don't really know who made your cue. Early Joss east cues after Stroud left were most all made by Scruggs even though no one had ever even heard of him at the time. People like to put a greater value on Southwest cues made before Jerry died. But if you went there when he was alive you found a number of guys working on cues.

Bob
12-04-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't know much about the sale of Cognoscenti but this is what I have heard.

Joey sold the company to Lucky for a undisclosed amount of $$$, big bucks from what I heard...??? Who knows though, it was through the rumor mill and I would never ask Joey what he sold it for.

With the sale, Joey still makes the cues but the company is owned by Lucky.

Eydie

John_Madden
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>
it's not always what you know but who you know , that means if you know the cue maker your wait won't be that long for a cue, you could say well this one has a waiting list of 5 years or more but if you know him you'll get it a lot quicker and thats a fact. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

I am not mentioned on your list but I am a new member of the American Cuemakers Association (members include Barry Szamboti, Southwest, Scruggs, etc) so I can build a cue and I do it full time as a business. To me it is more than a business but it is a BUSINESS and to run a business successfully I feel you need to treat all your customers with the same courtesy and respect. That means my friends who are my customers may talk to me more(about family, friends, golf, etc) but when it comes to cues their new cue order is placed behind that last custom cue order I just took from Rome, Italy, earlier today. Isn't that the way it should be?
John Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

justbrake
12-05-2004, 04:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John_Madden:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>
it's not always what you know but who you know , that means if you know the cue maker your wait won't be that long for a cue, you could say well this one has a waiting list of 5 years or more but if you know him you'll get it a lot quicker and thats a fact. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

I am not mentioned on your list but I am a new member of the American Cuemakers Association (members include Barry Szamboti, Southwest, Scruggs, etc) so I can build a cue and I do it full time as a business. To me it is more than a business but it is a BUSINESS and to run a business successfully I feel you need to treat all your customers with the same courtesy and respect. That means my friends who are my customers may talk to me more(about family, friends, golf, etc) but when it comes to cues their new cue order is placed behind that last custom cue order I just took from Rome, Italy, earlier today. Isn't that the way it should be? John Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com) <hr /></blockquote>
maybe, but not true maybe thats the way you do buisness and maybe thats the right way but I know for a fact one of the top cue makers(probably in the top 4) not to mention his name puts his friends first sorry if you don't believe me but I guess some people put there relations up first! and I myself have been offered to get a cue @ first hand for who I know but I can't afford it right now.anyway it's not like he's going to loose any buisness he just puts his friends first I guess.

I appologize for posting this in this thread (it was top ten hot cuemakers) and this shouldn't have been posted here

buddha162
12-05-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Unless it is a one man shop you don't really know who made your cue. Early Joss east cues after Stroud left were most all made by Scruggs even though no one had ever even heard of him at the time. People like to put a greater value on Southwest cues made before Jerry died. But if you went there when he was alive you found a number of guys working on cues. <hr /></blockquote>

hi Popcorn,

Well this I can understand, if the cues are being made either by apprentices or family or peer cuemakers, and the thing gets transfered from original maker to someone else who learned at the shop.

But Joe Gold selling Cog to Lucky? Does Lucky know how to make cues? Would it be like Balabushka's family selling his name to Adam, and then having some Chinse factory pump out brand new bushkas?

Thanks,
Roger

buddha162
12-05-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob:</font><hr>
With the sale, Joey still makes the cues but the company is owned by Lucky.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Eydie, that makes sense. Joe sold his company but will remain on the board, so to speak. Glad he'll still be running the lathe behind every Cog.

-Roger

DickLeonard
12-07-2004, 06:49 AM
I like Paul Daytons work, I don't know where he ranks but he is willing to find the hard rock maple needed for the shafts and hang them for years before he can use them.

I don't know if he is still using an exacto knife for all his inlaying or switched to patterns inlaying.####

daviddjmp
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I would add Tony Sciannella of Black Boar to the list. Best hitting cue I ever had. I even had a buddy in my pool ask me what kind of cue it was, as he noticed it sounded great.

haywood
12-08-2004, 09:28 PM
I'd have three names on my list that haven't been listed yet....Pete Ohman, Andy Gilbert, and Mike Durbin...All three make excellent hitting cues and they are all pretty good looking...

Eric.
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I think threads like this can take on a life of it's own. Nowadays, it seems like everybody makes a great cue. Seems like the differences can be the little things like balance, slight differences in hit/feel/sound and who makes it pretty per your tastes.

Eric &gt;a Capone guy

dooziexx
12-10-2004, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> What are the top ten hottest cuemakers? I don't mean the best cuemakers but, the most sought after.. Southwest is probebly number one! I am just asking for opinions! <hr /></blockquote>

Top 10 hot cuemakers and most sought after.. dead or alive?? For collecting or playing? If you are a collector then these would be the most sought after cues in no particular order.
1) Craig Petersen
2) Frank Paradise
3) George Balabushka
4) Gus Szamboti

If you are talking about hot cuemakers, both alive and deceased, that collectors love, then add to the above list the following cuemakers:
5) David Paul Kersenbrock
6) Joel Hercek
7) Barry Szamboti
8) Gina
9) Paul Mottey
10) Bill Schick
11) JossWest

Cueless Joey
12-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Doozie,
Certainly Burton Spain belongs there somewhere.
I'll have Tad there over Mottey.
Tad's cues are unmistakeable Tad cues.

Barbara
12-10-2004, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Tad's cues are unmistakeable Tad cues. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey,

I love the cue Tad made for Jimmy Caras and engraved "Gimmy Caras" on the butt of the cue. Priceless!

Barbara

dooziexx
12-10-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Doozie,
Certainly Burton Spain belongs there somewhere.
I'll have Tad there over Mottey.
Tad's cues are unmistakeable Tad cues. <hr /></blockquote>

Cant believe I overlooked Spain and Tad.....

Cueless Joey
12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Tad's cues are unmistakeable Tad cues. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey,

I love the cue Tad made for Jimmy Caras and engraved "Gimmy Caras" on the butt of the cue. Priceless!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
I've never seen that cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Any pic? A friend of mine is one of Tad's best customers. Tad made him a BILLIARD cue. How rare is that? Made of blank made by Tad's former mentor Harold Martin.
Tad's making him another very rare cue. I won't say what kind of wood.
My friend is also getting a cue made by some so-so maker out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Doozie, how can you overlook Tad and Spain? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Any Harold Martin cue now picks a ton of dough too.
An all-ivory handle Martin? Ooooh. I might be seeing one soon.

Barbara
12-10-2004, 02:10 PM
CJ,

All I can say is that it's privately owned at this point in time. It was for sale at the SB Expo three years ago before Jimmy passed.

Barbara

Cueless Joey
12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Give me the address, I'll take care of the rest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
These Q's are even hotter. Waiting period is undetermined as the clown maker is still waiting for his taper machine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifJoyeQ's (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=3047&amp;stc=1)

Barbara
12-10-2004, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Give me the address, I'll take care of the rest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
These Q's are even hotter. Waiting period is undetermined as the clown maker is still waiting for his taper machine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifJoyeQ's (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=3047&amp;stc=1) <hr /></blockquote>

CJ,

This cue was initially offered at 10G 3 years ago. I'm not a broker, but if you're serious I can contact the owner for you.

Barbara

Cueless Joey
12-10-2004, 06:38 PM
You thought I was serious? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I don't collect cues anymnore. Thanks.
I had way too many cues at one time.
I have 4 left. :-)
I'll take your cue though. The one with propellers and barbell inlays.