PDA

View Full Version : Simonis cloth

stroker6626
12-04-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm in the process of acquiring a Simonis cloth for my table, not sure if I should get an 860 or a 760, does someone have an opinion on that? thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2004, 11:56 AM
760 is faster, if that helps your decision any.

Wally <~~ thinks 860 is fast enough

Rod
12-04-2004, 12:18 PM
760 is a thinner slick cloth. It may be more suitable as a billiard cloth. I've played on it and the bed speed is considerably faster. 860 is a standard for pool tables and I doubt you'll find rooms that use 760. Might as well play on what is commonly used, 860. Going from 760 to 860 takes some getting use to.

The only way I'd us it is on tables with slow rails. But then replacing the rails is the real answer. It's my opinion 760 won't last as long either.

Rod

SecaucusFats
12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stroker6626:</font><hr> I'm in the process of acquiring a Simonis cloth for my table, not sure if I should get an 860 or a 760, does someone have an opinion on that? thanks <hr /></blockquote>

If you play in tournaments or an in-house (pool hall) league then I'd suggest the 860, because it is more commonly used by pool halls than the much faster 760. By using the same cloth at home as at the pool hall you avoid having to make drastic adjustments for the speed of the cloth. If on the other hand, you play mostly at home and like a very fast cloth then by all means go for the 760.

BTW, Simonis is a great cloth but it is not the only premium worsted wool / nylon blended cloth out there. I suggest you also take a look at Gorina Basalt (speed is similar to 860, perhaps a hair quicker) or Gorina Tournament 2000 (faster than 760). Simonis (Belgium) or Granito (Spain) are both excellent, so you really can't wrong either way.

I have included links to both manufacturers for you:

Granito (http://www.granitocloth.com/productos_familia.php3?familia=carded)

Simonis (http://www.simoniscloth.com/weave.htm)

Hope this helps you make your selection! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SF

stroker6626
12-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Thank you all for your comments, you've been very helpful in your suggestions, Stroker