PDA

View Full Version : Bad cue balls in Vegas

05-20-2002, 11:06 PM
I heard a large portion of cue balls were taken out of play because of improper rolling. Is this true? Any comments regarding the playability of the tables there?-----Gilbert Grape

Rod
05-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Gilbert, I don't know about this year, not that it matters what year. The ameture events play with the valley balls. They are either bad out of the box, or in time will track one direction or the other. It is just common that they do this. There are good ones, some not so good and some just plain suck. A very slow roll over a distance may or will prove to be a mistake. We did have a c/b replaced one year I was there, as it rolled with the consistancy of an egg.

Fred Agnir
05-21-2002, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gilbert Grape:</font><hr> I heard a large portion of cue balls were taken out of play because of improper rolling. Is this true? Any comments regarding the playability of the tables there?-----Gilbert Grape <hr></blockquote>

I have heard rumors of balls rolling poorly because of imbalance, but I had never actually noticed it before. Until now. The combination of the new cloth, settling tables and these imbalanced plug balls made the situation very noticeable in Vegas. If you rolled an object ball, there would be a hair of a roll, but nothing as bad as most bars. Roll the cueball, and you were subject to J and S hooks. Unbelievably, they threw out an amazing 40 cueballs on day one. They needed to throw out more, but we needed to play with something.

Fred

Ralph S.
05-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Am I correct in assuming the tables in Vegas were bar-boxes?
Ralph S.

CarolNYC
05-22-2002, 04:14 AM
Hey Ralph,
YES, this was bar tables-as for the cueball,someone mentioned the "magnetic" core inside-that may have been the problem of incorrect rolling-having not played on a bar table in over 3 years, it took me a day to get use to it-which was too late-then I had no problem pocketing the balls and winning my games-but I felt every shot had to be hit centerball-stop,etc and so on!I salute the team players mentality-when I lost, I was mentally DEVASTATED that I let down my teammates-team play was very intense!UGH!
Carol~scotch-doubles only, for me next year!

cheesemouse
05-22-2002, 09:37 AM
CarolNYC,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I salute the team players mentality-when I lost, I was mentally DEVASTATED that I let down my teammates-team play was very intense!UGH!<hr></blockquote> I had played pool for 25 yrs in one fashion or another before ever playing team pool. I found the pressure of team pool intense and unlike anything I had experience before in pool. It's great to be on a team that gets along win or lose. Of course, that winning feeling on a team of friends is worth the anguish. When your in a big room like in Vegas with all those teams with all the energy those teams are putting out....... what a rush!!!!!!!

JimS
05-22-2002, 11:09 AM
And NOT Diamond bar boxes. I'll bet on that! Tell the BCA to get good equipment if they're going to put on a big tournament in which so many people have so much emotional investment. It is totally unacceptable that a prestiege tournament be played on inferior tables.