PDA

View Full Version : Barretta Beats Corr in First TV Match!

cuechick
12-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Wow oh Wow! This new format has really made for an exciting tournament, Jeanie Seaver also made it to her first TV MAtch and plays Allison.
Jenn is now guaranteed at least 3rd and 6000.00! I am beyond proud of her, she said the match went double hill after she had been up 6-2! This is her first career win over Karen and what a way to do it! She plays Julie Kelly tomorrow at 1pm...!
Go Girl!
http://www.wpba.com/images/FloridaJBar1.jpg

Rod
12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
CC that's for sure, this is an exciting tournament. Lot's of new faces on TV. I hope Jenn does well and I'll bet Allison gave her a hug. LOL. Well she already has but I mean plays well during the semi finals. It's good to see a close match and she looks very determined. What a great experience.

Rod

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2004, 07:20 AM
That's great! I'd forgotten about the new format. Can't wait to see all the new faces on my tube. I'm still waiting to see the US Open too!

stroker6626
12-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Can someone explain to me what the new format is? that's the first I hear of it, thanks

Barbara
12-05-2004, 09:13 AM
The new format is that when they get down to the final 8 players on each side of the chart (16 total), they redraw the matches and it becomes single elimination from then on.

And each of these matches will be televised on ESPN.

Barbara

cuechick
12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Here is a link to the brackets, you can see from these what they did:
http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1004362

cuechick
12-05-2004, 09:23 AM
P.S>. I don't think they make things any easier for anyone, Jennifer still had to beat Gerda and Helena before she played Karen.

cuechick
12-05-2004, 09:33 AM
By the way, is anyone else disappointed with the lack of coverage on AZ. All the WPBA does is post the brackets and if we are lucky some pics. I miss AZ's more extensive coverage, and the new format I thought at least deserved some comment?

Barbara
12-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Knowing first hand how Mike likes to "scoop" everyone, I don't know why he stopped reporting on the WPBA events. I enjoyed his coverage very much also.

Barbara

Ives
12-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Sounds like good tv, does any one know ESPN times yet?

Rich R.
12-05-2004, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> The new format is that when they get down to the final 8 players on each side of the chart (16 total), they redraw the matches and it becomes single elimination from then on. <hr /></blockquote>
Just to clarify a little, it is only the players from the one loss side that redraw and they are matched up with the players from the winners side.

dg-in-centralpa
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Congrats to Jennifer! I can't wait to watch this on TV. WPBA is reporting that Jeanette Lee has won by beating Julie Kelly. Jeanette blanked Allison. What a good feeling for Jeanette.

DG - counting down to Valley Forge

BCgirl
12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
It's nice to see some new faces win, and congratulations are in order for Jennifer, but I for one, really do not like the single elimination later stages format.

I think it has distorted tournaments like the World Pool Championship where there have been some spectacularly bad matches, and collapses, that I'm not so sure would have happened had the trailing player been intent on pulling up his game on the B-side. To me, it seems to be just another example of TV dictating the rules for the sake of mass presentation. Both the shorter sets and single elimination reward clinical but boring play over sheer genius, and I really think it detracts from the game.

A tournament that has double elmination up to a point, but then treats all players on an even footing, seems rather silly, and perhaps a little unfair.

BCgirl

CarolNYC
12-06-2004, 03:51 AM
WOO-hoo-how strong is that?

Way to go Jen!

Carol

Vagabond
12-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Real strong carol.....
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
12-06-2004, 09:03 AM
First, congrats to Jenn! We are all very proud of her!

Then:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCgirl:</font><hr> Both the shorter sets and single elimination reward clinical but boring play over sheer genius...<hr /></blockquote>

BCGirl, this is an excellent point, one that I have never before considered. (I might change the word "reward" to "dictate" though /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). If I were playing a single-elimination race to 7 towards the end of a tournament, I don't think I would ever try anything spectacular (unless it was the only option). One mistake is really the whole set.

- Steve