PDA

View Full Version : First Time Scotch Doubles for Mosconi Cup

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Make Mine A Double! (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000pressrelease.cfm?id=360) from AZB

woody_968
12-05-2004, 09:32 AM
This should make for some interesting matches /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I love scotch doubles. It is a very good format to watch. Not a lot of the usual tension and fun to watch.

BCgirl
12-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Just goes to show you that everyone's different in the way they view things. I absolutely love Scotch Doubles, as a fun game for mixed ability games, and a great format for pro-am charity events, but not for serious competition.

Having said that, I think I've only seen one top-level Scotch Doubles event, which I think was part of the Canada-US cross-border challenge, that may have adversely affected my view here. I thought it was interesting in that it exposed major differences in the playing styles and shot preference of top players, but otherwise, I thought it was total junk. I think it defeats the whole rhythm of top-notch play. Personally, I'd much rather see someone like Tony Drago run five racks in as many minutes, or watch Corey Deuel let fly some cannonball specials, than see Johnny Archer and Nick Varner chew gum and shuffle balls from pocket to pocket while debating the next shot.

I think that, over the last few years, a lot of good work has been done to enhance the standing and credibility of the Mosconi cup, from a side-show to a serious display of emerging talent. I think this is a step backwards, but I really hope I'm wrong.
BCgirl

catscradle
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCgirl:</font><hr> ..., than see Johnny Archer and Nick Varner chew gum and shuffle balls from pocket to pocket while debating the next shot...
BCgirl <hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean to say they actually get to discuss the next shot when it is there turn at the table? I always thought in scotch doubles, that the partners could only discuss strategy between turns at the table.

Rich R.
12-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Is is true that they got the idea of playing Scotch Doubles, after watching the 2003 and 2004 CCB Tournaments? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will they be switching partners after every round? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BCgirl
12-07-2004, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
Do you mean to say they actually get to discuss the next shot when it is there turn at the table? I always thought in scotch doubles, that the partners could only discuss strategy between turns at the table.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, in the "cross border challenge" footage that I watched, that was the case. They could seemingly confer at any time. I think the idea was that it would be educational, but it ranged from some discussion that might indeed be of benefit to some player with little sense of position play, to "just play whatever you want, I'll hit it from anywhere". It really put over the impression (right or wrong) that the competition just wasn't taken seriously.

The rules, and the results may be quite different in the Mosconi Cup. I hope so.

BCgirl