PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket Practice... break question to follow

cheese_ball
12-06-2004, 09:58 AM
I have been learning one-pocket for the last year, and was looking for some input. I have taken a practice drill from one of my local greats, but I need different types of drills. I've been taking 5 balls, throwing them out on the table, and working position to place all 5 in the same pocket with no misses. I've gotten pretty good at it... making all 5 about 75% of the time. This drill has DRASTICALLY improved my position game, and is immensely helpful in one-pocket as well. Since it's not very common to put in more than 4-5 balls a run anyway.

Does anyone have a good one-pocket break? I've been hitting the third ball with inside draw between medium and lag stroke to push balls into my pocket and leave the rock in my opponents... anyone have a better suggestion?

Paul_Mon
12-06-2004, 10:30 AM
All tables (and balls) break differently. What works one one table may not be what works on another. The break you've described is very safe. IMO, the best one pocket break is thin on the head ball with a little inside and follow. If the balls are properly racked you should move balls towards your side and position the cue ball about two diamonds up and on the side rail. My mental image on this break shot is to cut the head ball one diamond up from the corner pocket. That said I must admit that in the room I frequent this break is risky. Too many times a ball moves too close to the opponents pocket or a scratch happens. My normal break in this room is on the second ball.

Paul Mon

Deeman2
12-06-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> I have been learning one-pocket for the last year, and was looking for some input. I have taken a practice drill from one of my local greats, but I need different types of drills. I've been taking 5 balls, throwing them out on the table, and working position to place all 5 in the same pocket with no misses. I've gotten pretty good at it... making all 5 about 75% of the time. This drill has DRASTICALLY improved my position game, and is immensely helpful in one-pocket as well. Since it's not very common to put in more than 4-5 balls a run anyway.

Does anyone have a good one-pocket break? I've been hitting the third ball with inside draw between medium and lag stroke to push balls into my pocket and leave the rock in my opponents... anyone have a better suggestion? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Cheeseball,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. I think you have it mostly right on the break. I usually hit the cue ball with a little high inside as the draw you are hitting is pretty well wasted by the time the cue ball gets into the rack, unless you are hitting them much harder than I do on a one pocket break. My high spin is also gone by the time it gets there but I do it for a more natural roll, not for control after contact. Of course, if you hit the third ball or even the first too thin you scratch in the corner. I have a break I like where I hit inside and almost hit the first ball head on, maybe a 16th inch to the break side. When hit right, it almost tetters on the apex of the rack for a second before sliding over to the rail near my opponents pocket. It really herds the balls well into your corner. Hit hit a hair left and you sell out.

Good luck.

Deeman </font color>

PQQLK9
12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
http://www.onepocket.org/getting_started.htm

Fred Agnir
12-06-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr>

Does anyone have a good one-pocket break? I've been hitting the third ball with inside draw between medium and lag stroke to push balls into my pocket and leave the rock in my opponents... anyone have a better suggestion? <hr /></blockquote>

The "standard" one pocket break can be seen here:

http://www.cues.com/break_shots1_0.html

as well as some non-standard one-pocket breaks.

I find that the reaction is slightly different on different equipment, but I try to barely graze the head ball.

IIRC, if you have a problem either scratching or running into the corner ball, then hit less of the head ball. I better go to a table and see if I remembered that correctly.

Fred &lt;~~~ getting ready for DCC (or something)

Rod
12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
The link Fred gave you is a good reference, it shows several breaks, depending on table condition you need more than one.

These are with a very thin hit on the head ball and lots of high inside. This needs a bit firmer hit than you would think. The inside really kills and holds up the c/b off the end rail.

Rod

Chopstick
12-06-2004, 02:00 PM
A while back I posted a one pocket break here and on onepocket.org. It has a drill for devloping an effective one pocket break. You can even make a ball on the break with it. Check it out.

Troy
12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I agree with the high / inside approach barely hitting the head ball. This should leave the CB about 1- 1 1/2 diamonds up and near or on the side rail while moving balls toward your corner. (You may even make a ball... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif..)

Also, Willie Jopling suggests that (all other things being equal) right-handed shooters break from the right side, left-handed shooters from the left side.
Troy