PDA

View Full Version : Ted Harris Whereabouts

05-21-2002, 07:13 AM
All..

I am having Ted Harris do some very basic work for me. I have been waiting nearly 4 months for him to fit a predator shaft to my cue (he said it would take 2 weeks). He hasn't returned any of my phone calls or emails. He was supposed to send the shaft to me in vegas at the Riv while I was there, but not dice. Now I can't get in touch with him at all.

I was wondering if anybody has heard from him recently. I've been pestering him endlessly to finish this work, and Im worried that perhaps something has happened to him.

So before I write to his suspect business practices, I wanted to make sure that there weren't any mitigating circumstances that were causing this delay and complete lack of communication

Jason

05-21-2002, 10:33 AM

05-21-2002, 10:41 AM
I have never had a problem with him in the past. So this recent issue perplexes me...

Rich R.
05-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Just thinking out loud (in print) here, but does anyone know if Ted was in Las Vegas for the last two weeks. If so, and if he took his portable repair station, it would have taken him at least a few days to drive to Vegas and will take him a few days to drive back. That is assuming he has no other stops planned.
Rich R.~~~don't know for sure, but throwing an idea out.

05-21-2002, 11:33 AM
No, he was not there

05-24-2002, 09:16 AM

stickman
05-24-2002, 09:51 AM
I had forgotten about this until I saw this post resurface. The evening of this post, I was checking who's online and saw someone logged in as ted harris reading this post. At the time, I figured that they were probably going to respond to it. Apparently not.

Rich R.
05-24-2002, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> I haven't heard anything negative about he still being here on earth, but it is a great possibility that he has moved.

Danny Green is putting on a big tournament this weekend (Sat the 25th possibly I heard) at Champion Billiards in Rockville. Go to ChampionBilliards.com to get the phone number. It is a good possibility that Ted will be there. Danny Green, in addition to being a very good player, also does cue repair. Suggest calling there and if Ted isn't there, ask for Danny Green and he can probably tell you where Ted is.

Hope this helps. Whitewolf. <hr></blockquote>
Whitewofl, that tournament is this Saturday and Sunday. The men's (or open) event is played over the two days. The ladies are only playing on Sunday at this stop.
Danny Green runs the Planet Pool tour, which he also founded. This is just one of the normal stops for that tour. Ted Harris is not usually at these stops, but you never know. Also, on the first day of the recent Ladies Maryland State Championship, Danny had what appeared to be Ted's portable repair cart and was trying to do some business. I don't think he did much business, because he packed up and did not return for the second day. However, I agree with you, in that, Danny may be the one to ask about Ted's whereabouts. I believe they must have some sort of working relationship.
Whitewolf, if you and Bluewolf have some spare time this weekend, you may want to stop in on that Planet Pool tournament. Danny usually draws most of the best local players and some times a pro or two. Max Eberle has been know to play in those tournaments quite often and the caliber of play is so high, he doesn't always make it to the final few rounds.
Unfortunately, I will not be among the spectators.
Rich R.

05-24-2002, 06:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but respond to this.

Excuse me......BEFORE you write about suspect businesses practices???? Isn't it kind of late for that now? If you read your post, that's what you've just done.

You could easily have said "Has anyone heard from Ted? I've been trying to get in touch and haven't been able to reach him. I'm concerned and want to know he's okay. Anyone know anything?" There was no need in a public place to lay out the details of why and cast aspersions on the man's name.

You're concerned about him? I don't buy it. For a minute, consider this: what if something has happened to him? He may explain himself to you and everything's OK again as far as you're concerned, but if readers of this board don't hear about the resolution, then the last thing they've heard is that he potentially put the screws to someone. And he has no way to defend himself.

If you want to post saying "beware Ted Harris" and why, fine....just tell it like it is. But, as it appears, I believe you handled this very poorly.

ted harris
05-31-2002, 06:23 PM
4 months?

Barbara
05-31-2002, 07:27 PM
Here Teddy Teddy.... Want some pecans....??? Here Teddy Teddy....

Babs..... :0!

05-31-2002, 07:39 PM
yes it has been a while send me a check that does not bounce and you will get what you asked for.
THANKS T Harris

ted harris
05-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Would you please identify yourself? Can you explain why you posted using my name?

ted harris
05-31-2002, 08:07 PM
We still have not eaten all the ones from Valley Forge. They are great!!!

06-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Hey... if you had taken the time to read the entire thread you would have seen that I posted the resolution to this matter before you proceeded to provide your silly interpretation of an event for which you possess ZERO knowledge...

06-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Not only did I read every thread in the post at the time I wrote this (gee, have you looked in Vegas? Yup, not there either)., but I also went and REREAD every post dated prior to my posting date/time of 5/24 at 8:18 p.m.

Nowhere is there a "resolution" by you or anyone else, in the first place.

And, in the second place, it doesn't matter what resolution you subsequently posted. Your initial post was enough to cast aspersions in a way that was in very poor taste. I know you tried to reach him, blah blah blah, but you could have asked his whereabouts here without going in specific detail.

06-05-2002, 04:48 PM
As if it matters any more, and Im sure I should just drop it since you and I are the only ones that give a sh*t, I told Ted in an email or phone message (can't remember which) that if he didn at least contact me that I would have to post on the newsgroups. He never contacted me and shortly after I made the post, I received my shaft.

Either way.. I got it, Im happy, and you seem to be the only person that disagrees with my decisions.

Have a good one....

Jason

BillPorter
06-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Jason, I have to agree with nickynick on this one. Cue makers depend on their reputation to make a living. One should be super careful before making negative remarks about a cue maker in this or any other public forum. I can empathize with how you felt; cue makers are notorious for being slow in getting stuff done and sent back to you. (It took me several weeks and several emails just to get one well known cue maker to send me a proper receipt for an expensive cue I bought from him.) Anyway, just could resist putting in my $.02 when it seemed that you thought nickynick was the only one on the board with that opinion.

Regards,

ted harris
06-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Jason,
I do not dispute that the work took longer than I anticipated. For that I apologize. Sometimes life's twists &amp; turns get the best of us. I hope it never gets the best of you. However, I certainly do disagree with your tactics. I questioned your quote of "4 months" on May 31, and received no response. Again, I would like to ask you about the 4 months? When did I receive the shaft?

06-06-2002, 07:28 AM
I gave you the shaft in Valley Forge.... When was that? Im not even sure.

The thing is that all I wanted was for someone to return my phone calls and emails and let me know when I would receive it. I didn't really care that much that it was late, I just wanted some communication..

This happens all the time with cue makers, and I understand that it is a difficult line of work in which to make one's livlihood. At the same time however, cue makers DO need to return calls and emails regardless of whether the work is going to be late or not. That is my real beef, not that fact that the work was overdue. No big deal

Ted does FANTASTIC work. I use one of his playing cues and am extrememly happy with it. He is also a good guy, Im sure of that. I just couldn't get him to correspond with me for a really long time, and I got frustrated, confused and worried. In light of all that, I think my post was quite reasonable.

J--

ted harris
06-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Jason,
When I initially read your post, I figured that the best thing to do would be to leave it alone. Your original post was on May 21. So that puts it at 2 months, not the 4 months you stated in your post. In your post, it gives the impression that we NEVER spoke regarding your shaft. I spoke to you on numerous occasions prior to your trip to Las Vegas, and promised your shaft to you. Just so everyone knows, I did not deliver in the 2 two weeks initially promised, or any time thereafter, until delivery. From this I am not hiding.
Jason, everone deserves the benefit of the doubt at different times in life, so I am extending it to you. You had every right to be upset. Maybe once in a while, the same could be extended to a cuemaker. I like you alot, and have since the beginning of our relationship. I hope you are enjoying your new shaft and moori tip.
In the future, all that can be hoped for is that the quality of my work outruns the other problems I encounter, whether it be of my own doing, or someone elses.
Truth be it known here, and not known in other forums where you posted, the damage has already been done.

06-06-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey Ted...

Sorry it all amounted to this... I hope you saw that I did post on both the CCB and RSB as to my satisfaction with your work after I received the shaft....

Anyway.. for anyone out there considering a cue of his or any repair work, he comes highly recommended from me...If anyone wants to email me about how his cues play or the quality of his work, pls. feel free to email me at jmg1@hotmail.com

Jason

06-06-2002, 10:19 AM
You misunderstood, and evidentally continue to misunderstand, my post.

I *didn't* say you weren't justified in being frustrated; I think any of us would be frustrated under the same circumstances. I said THE WAY YOU CHOSE TO HANDLE IT was poor, *in my opinion*. (emphasis on that so it's not overlooked).

You wrote "I was wondering if anybody has heard from him recently. .....Im worried that perhaps something has happened to him....So *BEFORE* I write to his suspect business practices.....I wanted to make sure that there weren't any mitigating circumstances...."

My point then (and now) is that your "concern" and wish to be fair before damaging his business didn't ring true. If you really were concerned, you could have simply posted "Has anyone seen/heard from him? I'm trying to get in touch with him and I haven't been able to reach/locate him." End of story.

But you didn't. You outlined your grievances in public, using phrases like "So before I write to his suspect business practices....". That's accusatory, inflammatory, and serves no purpose other than to damage a person's reputation/business. You didn't have to provide details in order to ask where he was, had you really been concerned.

So, as I said before, it is my *opinion* (and apparently that of others, too, much to your surprise), that you handled it poorly. Because it's an opinion, that means it's not necessarily right or wrong, and you don't have to agree. But it stands nonetheless.

Barbara
06-06-2002, 10:23 AM
For all those reading this post, Ted Harris is the only person besides my Cuemaker that I will allow to repair any problems with my custom cue. And my Cueman is the only person other than Ted that I will allow to make repairs on my Ted Harris Sneaky Pete.

Yes, he takes some time, but that is because: 1. He does repairs correctly, and that doesn't mean it is done quickly, and 2. Anybody that wants a quality job done goes to Ted. And that means just about everybody!!

Barbara~~~a Ted fan

10-23-2002, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> All..

I am having Ted Harris do some very basic work for me. I have been waiting nearly 4 months for him to fit a predator shaft to my cue (he said it would take 2 weeks). He hasn't returned any of my phone calls or emails. He was supposed to send the shaft to me in vegas at the Riv while I was there, but not dice. Now I can't get in touch with him at all.

I was wondering if anybody has heard from him recently. I've been pestering him endlessly to finish this work, and Im worried that perhaps something has happened to him.

So before I write to his suspect business practices, I wanted to make sure that there weren't any mitigating circumstances that were causing this delay and complete lack of communication

Jason <hr></blockquote>
thanks for the WARNING

ted harris
10-23-2002, 02:18 PM
Hey Anonymous,
I guess you did not read the rest of the story?!