PDA

View Full Version : Radio pool show

dardusm
12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I am a longtime lurker and very occasional poster. A unique opportunity has presented itself to me in the form of hosting a show about pool! I basically buy the time for the show which will be on beginning Sat Dec 11 from 3 to 4pm. It will run weekly and be heard in the Kansas City area on channel 1140 KCXL am. If you are in the area be sure to listen.

I am looking for suggestions for material to do during the show. I can cover any aspect about the game but can't promote the gambling side. It is a small independent radio station that is christian owned. Topics will include national, regional, and local news such as tournament results, league results, etc. Also, interviews and call-ins will be part of the program. Any ideas that you guys/girls have will be appreciated.

I have 3 goals for doing this show. 1. Have Fun /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif 2. Promote pool in a positive light. 3. At least break even. I don't know of any other pool radio show, so this might be a first.

Thanks,

Darryl

Popcorn
12-06-2004, 03:25 PM
That sounds cool. If it can be told, what will it cost you to buy the time?

dg-in-centralpa
12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Good luck with the show! I'm in PA. and can't pick up your station. Sorry. Let us know how it works out.

DG - best of luck to ya

pooltchr
12-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Get a long list of potential guests. Local league operators, top league players, pool room owners, instructors, pro players, tour operators, tournaent directors, referees, young upcoming players, mothers, family teams, players who have won their way to Vegas, local celebrities who play pool, cue makers, etc.

Bring up questions you read on the forums and get feedback from your listeners.

Sounds like a great opportunity. I wish you the best of luck.
Steve

Rich R.
12-07-2004, 04:07 AM
I would suggest discussing some of the equipment, as cues, tables, etc. They are always good topics for discussion, as has been noted on all of the forums. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You may also want to contact some of the sponsors of players and see if you can arrange a phone interview, with the player, at no cost to yourself, other than the phone time. It is worth a try and with the leverage of the sponsor behind you, it may work. Actually, some of the players would probably do the interview, without the sponsor leverage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
12-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Good point, Rich! I know Fury sponsors Kelly Fisher and Val Finney on the WPBA. Kelly is a 6 time world snooker champion, and is very approachable for this kind of thing. Most pros are willing to do things to help promote the game. And sponsors love the publicity!

Ives
12-07-2004, 06:53 AM
great idea, maybe you could do some remote broadcasts from different pool halls during tournaments. Not sure if your station is set up for remotes.

Good luck.

if its possible, maybe you could post some mp3 samples for us to here, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dardusm
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Excellent suggestions. We are going to do a lot of interviews via studio and phone. On the first show, I am going to have young local player who is one of the top juniors in the nation. Also, a tournament director is going to call during his tournament with info about the tour he directs (In the area) and updates, info, etc. I want the guests to run the full gambit of pool. Players, league operators, tournament directors, league players, cue makers, and even novice players to get their input.

Popcorn, as far as cost, I am still negotiating with potential sponsors/advertisers so I probably shouldn't say but even if I didn't make a dime on this venture, I could afford to pay the time. (Think of a good car payment)

Thanks