PDA

View Full Version : Tip Care and Cleaning

trailboss
12-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone! I usually blot off the excess chaulk to keep it from building up in my cuecase. I saw one guy do this as well but, then he put saliva on it. He let it soak in for a few secounds, then put it in his case. I asked him what that does and he told me that chaulk dries out the tip and makes it hard. The saliva puts mosture back and keeps the tip pliable. Anybody know if this is correct or not?

RedHell
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Not sure about regular tips but highly not recommended with any laminated tip. It can create bumbs and water/air balloon in between the layers...

SpiderMan
12-06-2004, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Hi everyone! I usually blot off the excess chaulk to keep it from building up in my cuecase. I saw one guy do this as well but, then he put saliva on it. He let it soak in for a few secounds, then put it in his case. I asked him what that does and he told me that chaulk dries out the tip and makes it hard. The saliva puts mosture back and keeps the tip pliable. Anybody know if this is correct or not? <hr /></blockquote>

TB,

I'd avoid wetting the tip. I think maybe your friend was a victim of hearsay. My fear would be more that the leather would swell and lose it's density. I imagine the moisture content of a tip is mainly governed by the average environment (air) around it.

SpiderMan

Billy_Bob
12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
This link says to wet Moori tips rather than scuffing. I have not tried it...
http://www.moori-tips.com/information-and-maintenance.htm

JimS
12-07-2004, 08:09 AM
I use a Talisman Hard and haven't had to scuff or pik it in a year of daily use.

Troy
12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
I would NOT do that with any of my tips !!!
Simply wipe off any chalk with a paper towel and return it to its place in the case.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Hi everyone! I usually blot off the excess chaulk to keep it from building up in my cuecase. I saw one guy do this as well but, then he put saliva on it. He let it soak in for a few secounds, then put it in his case. I asked him what that does and he told me that chaulk dries out the tip and makes it hard. The saliva puts mosture back and keeps the tip pliable. Anybody know if this is correct or not? <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
12-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I've seen someone do that. Wipes off the chalk with a napkin or something, then licks his thumb and swipes it across the tip before putting the shaft into the case. I never did ask why.

Sid_Vicious
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Sounds kooky to wer the crown for two reasons. First, it's not good on layered tips to adjust the top layer differently from the rest, bonds lossen at the very least. Second, IMO you want a tip to get it's own behavior of hardness, why would you want to soften a tip you were obviously happy with when it went on?

I would not do it, I'd simply clean it off and put it away, just as it is. Sid's one who never scuffs or reshapes a tip, so take my advice with that understanding, I LIKE hard tips...sid~~~does not even own tapper or pic

Wally_in_Cincy
12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I would NOT do that with any of my tips !!!
Simply wipe off any chalk with a paper towel and return it to its place in the case.

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>

Troy, I think saliva on a tip would be the equivalent of washing a suede jacket. I would not do it either.