PDA

View Full Version : HIGH RUN IN 3-C

Troy
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM
During a converstaion today a customer was talking about high runs.

Does anyone know the highest run in 3-Cushion history ???
And how do you know ???

Troy

cueball1950
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
The high run was 26 and was done by Mr Hoppe i believe. I have been playing 3 cushion for quite a few years and have never came close....lol...if i told you my high run in the day you would not believe me anyway... and on a non heated table. it was on a 5x10 brunswick gold crown..leave ya guessing........................mike

Cueless Joey
12-06-2004, 10:41 PM
One? LOL
I've only played it once. 6 points in 50 innings. LOL

Popcorn
12-06-2004, 11:13 PM
I am sure it is more then that, over 30. Ceulemans I think has a tournament high run of 28 but I am sure he has run more in practice. I saw Sang Lee run 21.

cueball1950
12-07-2004, 12:45 AM
I think if you reread my answer it states clearly "was" 26. Sang Lee indeed was a great player and will be sorely missed. But what i would like to know is this. Could any of todays players with their great gift and knowledge run 26 on a regular non heated table. I would have to think not. I have played on both tables and i find the heated tables way to fast and that you could do things on a heated table that could never be done on a non heated table. So my answer is still 26 cuz Hoppe did not play on heated tables. when someone does it on a non heated table then let me know. Playing on both tables is like night and day.......mike

Popcorn
12-07-2004, 01:28 AM
The heated table make it easier to create shots that could have never been done on most of the old tables. The numbers in the records books I believe are lower then actual high runs in exhibition and practice sessions. The poster asked what the highest run ever was, it is certainly more the 26 even on the unheated tables. Some of those old tables were often very hard to play on, especially the gold crowns they were some of the worst. My high run on an old Brunswick Gold Crown is 11. But on the new Verhoven tables I play on now, it is common to run a 5 or a 7 almost any given game. Today they are playing shorter games also, often 15 points, so a lot of possible high runs end. I have played on some old Brunswick T-rail tables that did play almost as fast as some of the new heated tables of today and with the addition of the old ivory balls you could be quite creative. I don't think Hoppe was necessarily playing on a dead table like you may have experienced in your local pool room. My guess would be, they were the best possible conditions they were capable of producing at the time. I bet the tables played pretty darn good.

DickLeonard
12-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Popcorn in their day they played with Ivory Balls,Hoppe brought his own and they were wrapped in wool to keep the balls at an even temperature. Uneven temperature and the balls would go out of round.

The other trick Hoppe used was to ask the room owner if he minded if he hit balls with his house cues and if he liked a tip could he take the tip. That way whenever he needed a tip he had one already broken in and ready to go. ####

Bob_Jewett
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> During a converstaion today a customer was talking about high runs.

Does anyone know the highest run in 3-Cushion history ???
And how do you know ???

Troy <hr /></blockquote>
The magazine "World Report 3-Cushion" is the authority for this sort of thing along with the UMB. The highest run in competition is 28 set by Komori in the Dutch League and then tied by Ceulemans, also in the Dutch League.

Hoppe ran 25 partly in an exhibition, except that it was 12 or 13-and-out and then 13 or 12 after the match. Some people look down on runs that extend out of the announced game.

Several players claim 30s in practice, but I would need to unearth a reference to say who.