PDA

View Full Version : Police and fire departments/ drug testing????

cueball1950
12-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Does anyone on this board know if their police and fire dept's have mandatory drug testing? Up here in upstate NY i know of none. the Local police, (They City of Troy...Population of about 60k) has none. Neither does the City of Albany. But in Albany if their is Definate reason to suspect they can make you. And you better have a rock solid reason to suspect it or it is no go. And then if you fail it is kept quiet and you have to go into drug rehab for 60 to 90 days. There have been "dirty" cops in Troy that have been caught and gone to rehab and even i cop who retired before they gave him that option. So just think, if you don't have it in your town or city, the next time you need a cop or fireman a crack head or addict can answer the call. I know that they have tried to change it but the union has never and will never agree to it.......mike

hondo
12-07-2004, 07:27 AM
I am for drug testing airline pilots and air traffic
controllers. Other than that ,it is an invasion of
our privacy. Whatever happened to probable cause?

Rich R.
12-07-2004, 08:02 AM
I forget where it was, but, in a recent news story, a hidden camera caught the officers manning the 911 emergeny phone lines with cocaine. The officers started hitting the coke just 12 minutes after their shift started. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I predict there will be more drug testing in the future, for police and firemen.

Singlemalt
12-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Well, here in NC I know several agencies (state/city/county) that it is certainly MANDATORY. Basically, when you are called and told where and what time to report you BETTER make it or consider your career options fast.

SPetty
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I am for drug testing airline pilots and air traffic controllers. Other than that, it is an invasion of our privacy. <hr /></blockquote>Public transportation bus/train/subway drivers? Private tour bus drivers? Taxicab drivers? School bus drivers? Day care workers? Dump truck drivers? Medical care givers dentists/doctors/nurses/medical lab workers/pharmacists?

What makes airline pilots and air traffic controllers so special?

Rich R.
12-07-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I am for drug testing airline pilots and air traffic controllers. Other than that, it is an invasion of our privacy. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Public transportation bus/train/subway drivers? Private tour bus drivers? Taxicab drivers? School bus drivers? Day care workers? Dump truck drivers? Medical care givers dentists/doctors/nurses/medical lab workers/pharmacists?

What makes airline pilots and air traffic controllers so special? <hr /></blockquote>
Since I use the Interstate Highway system a lot, in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area, and I am constantly being passed by tractor trailers, at about 90 mph, I wouldn't feel offended if they were also tested for drugs.

hondo
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Uh, yeah. Those guys, too.

Public transportation bus/train/subway drivers? Private tour bus drivers? Taxicab drivers? School bus drivers? Day care workers? Dump truck drivers? Medical care givers dentists/doctors/nurses/medical lab workers/pharmacists?

What makes airline pilots and air traffic controllers so special? <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
12-07-2004, 12:07 PM
How about we test the legislative branches who in reality, made the law to begin with? I'd like to see ALL government personnel, even the Prez and VP, randomly tested. Why are they above the same law that we working citizens are responsible for? Makes sense to me that THEY work for us, and I'd feel better if they tested just to know we are led by clear headed "employees of the government."

Either that or else live by the rule "Innocent before proven guilty" and cut out the testing until signs of trouble is apparent...sid

SPetty
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...and cut out the testing until signs of trouble is apparent...<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, that one.

eg8r
12-07-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
our privacy. Whatever happened to probable cause? <hr /></blockquote>Why hold airline pilots and air traffic to different standards than anyone else?

eg8r

hondo
12-07-2004, 01:35 PM
It's called probable cause and it's a thing of
the past.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...and cut out the testing until signs of trouble is apparent...<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, that one. <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
You mean bush &amp; company HAVEN'T been on crack all
this time?!?!? Now I'm really scared!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> How about we test the legislative branches who in reality, made the law to begin with? I'd like to see ALL government personnel, even the Prez and VP, randomly tested. Why are they above the same law that we working citizens are responsible for? Makes sense to me that THEY work for us, and I'd feel better if they tested just to know we are led by clear headed "employees of the government."

Either that or else live by the rule "Innocent before proven guilty" and cut out the testing until signs of trouble is apparent...sid <hr /></blockquote>

SnakebyteXX
12-07-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...clear headed "employees of the government."
<hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Lots of private companies that follow insurance guidelines, have mandatory drug testing for any accident that has more than a $50 value that can cause an 'insurance claim'.
These same companies require a drug test prior to any employment.

I am all for safety at work, and I wouldn't want anyone "high" or "under the influence" of any legal (alcohol) or illegal substance.

It's bad enough driving to work and back wondering if those idiots are 'high' or just plain 'stupid'.

highsea
12-07-2004, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ...and I am constantly being passed by tractor trailers, at about 90 mph, I wouldn't feel offended if they were also tested for drugs.<hr /></blockquote>They are, Rich. DOT standards are stricter than most. Anyone who has a combination license is subject to testing, and the thresholds are about 1/3 of normal screens. (i.e. cannabis metabolytes are 15ppm for DOT, normally 50ppm for other professions). The same goes for commercial pilots.

Most testing is done by the unions, so owner/operators probably do not get the same level of scrutiny.

I think ALL cops should be tested. These guys are running around with guns, and I have known a few that I certainly wouldn't trust...

pooltchr
12-08-2004, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> They are, Rich. DOT standards are stricter than most. Anyone who has a combination license is subject to testing, and the thresholds are about 1/3 of normal screens<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, anyone who has a CDL is subject to random testing, so basically anyone who is paid to drive most anything falls into that catagory. School bus drivers, truck drivers, even your Fedex guy is subject to random testing. They are also subject to immediate testing following ANY accident they are involved in, even if was the other driver's fault.

hondo
12-08-2004, 07:28 AM
DUUUH. Why do you think? Is it because people's
lives are in their hands? With other jobs, whatever
happened to probable cause?

quote=eg8r] &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
our privacy. Whatever happened to probable cause? <hr /></blockquote>Why hold airline pilots and air traffic to different standards than anyone else?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r
12-08-2004, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DUUUH. <hr /></blockquote> LOL, need you have even finished your thought?

eg8r

Rich R.
12-09-2004, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>They are, Rich. DOT standards are stricter than most. Anyone who has a combination license is subject to testing, and the thresholds are about 1/3 of normal screens. (i.e. cannabis metabolytes are 15ppm for DOT, normally 50ppm for other professions). The same goes for commercial pilots.

<font color="blue">That is good news. </font color>

Most testing is done by the unions, so owner/operators probably do not get the same level of scrutiny.

<font color="blue">I'm not sure I trust the unions to do the testing on their own members. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think ALL cops should be tested. These guys are running around with guns, and I have known a few that I certainly wouldn't trust...
<font color="blue">There are a lot of cops, I don't trust with guns, when they are stone sober. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

highsea
12-09-2004, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>Most testing is done by the unions, so owner/operators probably do not get the same level of scrutiny.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I'm not sure I trust the unions to do the testing on their own members. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>I wasn't clear, the testing is done by independent labs. The teamsters negotiate the rules wrt notifications of employees, actions taken for positive test results, retesting, rehab, etc. with the individual companies. The DOT sets the standards. I know a couple drivers who have lost their jobs over this, the rules are very strict for drugs AND alcohol for truck drivers.