PDA

View Full Version : BreakRak Review

Fred Agnir
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I know I'm a gear whore, but the part of my game that has struggled the most is the break. When I'm breaking well, I do better. But, often, my break is a liability.

I agree with Chris Cass that the break is a timing thing. If you work out the timing, speed comes more effortless. It's the same in most other stick swinging sports like golf and baseball.

However, in watching myself in video, I move my stick laterally during the final stroke, causing me to hit the cueball off axis, leaving the cueball spinning like mad and often having the cueball bounce to the side rail. But, it feels unnatural to stop doing that (flying my elbow, causing my tip to veer). Muscle memory and all that.

Anyway, I received and set it up the BreakRak and got immediate positive results. Using the BreakRak and my multidot Aramith Pro Cup Ball, I was immediately able to see what the cueball was doing without it getting wacked by another ball before I saw the spin. The only issue is that I got a little sore from all the breaking. It's a workout!

The two best things about the BreakRak is that you don't have to rerack the balls in order to keep breaking. This helps to build that muscle memory that I need. Secondly, there are no balls scattering around to knock the cueball around. This helps me check out exactly what the cueball is doing.

From an instructional point of view, I think these two in conjunction as well as video can really add to the learning process.

For those that already have the monster break and can squat the cueball a high percentage of time, this isn't for you. For those like me who have trouble with the break, if you're willing to spend money on lessons, gambling, and league night, you might also want to consider the BreakRAK for your home table or for bringing to the pool hall.

Fred

Barbara
12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I know I'm a gear whore,

<font color="blue">No, really?? But you're a cute gear whore! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif</font color>

For those that already have the monster break and can squat the cueball a high percentage of time, this isn't for you. For those like me who have trouble with the break, if you're willing to spend money on lessons, gambling, and league night, you might also want to consider the BreakRAK for your home table or for bringing to the pool hall.

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>

Okay, something else to add to my Valley Forge list. Fred, you'll let me know which booth it's at, right?

Barbara~~~has Fred bird dog the goodies...

DennyS
12-07-2004, 10:14 PM
I gotta agree Fred its' a great teaching aid. The BreakRAK is a huge help at the Ohio Pool School. Coupled with our Break Shot instructions,the BreakRAK II does wonders for our students."

candyman74
12-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I am an avid shooter and I have personaaly used the break rack with DennyS and IMO is very helpful. I like to practice on it then go preak a couple of racks. I feel it has helped me develop a solid break......

Paul_Mon
12-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Fred,

How tight did you make the cords? When I evaluated the BreakRak it did not specify how tight to make the bunjee's. I found that making them just tight enough to return the rack back to the spot seemed proper. But I was never convinced that the cue ball reaction was accurate. Your feelings? IMO, it has the benefit of allowing for repetitive training and instant feedback, ie. the cue ball reaction. What about table wear? Do you think that the sliding motion will cause more damage to the cloth than a normal rack of balls? I considered putting a sheet of paper underneath the BreakRak but never did actually do it.

Paul Mon

TommyT
12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
I spoke with Charlie Bonds about this and he indicated that the cords were simply to keep the ball apparatus in place. Just tight enough to keep the 1 ball on the spot. He also said it,s allright to use it without the cords. You just need to keep setting it back in place.
TommyT

Fred Agnir
12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Hi Fred,

How tight did you make the cords? When I evaluated the BreakRak it did not specify how tight to make the bunjee's. I found that making them just tight enough to return the rack back to the spot seemed proper. But I was never convinced that the cue ball reaction was accurate. Your feelings? IMO, it has the benefit of allowing for repetitive training and instant feedback, ie. the cue ball reaction. What about table wear? Do you think that the sliding motion will cause more damage to the cloth than a normal rack of balls? I considered putting a sheet of paper underneath the BreakRak but never did actually do it.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>I tightened the cords such that they returned the rack to the same spot. The instructions say to put scotch tape on the spot to protect it (and to presumeably help to return the rack to the same spot.

I'm assuming there'll be less wear on the cloth only because there's actually less balls touching the cloth. Time will tell. My cloth is only 10 years old...

If it means anything, I had my normal three breaks during league (we break three and rack three), running out two. And as the song goes, two out of three ain't bad.

Fred &lt;~~~ needs to change the cloth

ceebee
12-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks to all you CCB'ers that are saying kind words about the BreakRAK. The BreakRAK has been on my Pool Table, at home, for almost 3 years and does not look as bad as the 1 year old cloth on the Pool Table downtown. I agree the Pool Table downtown gets a great deal of play, but my Pool Table gets hundreds of break shots a day from me, my partner and my friends.

The problem with inserting a sheet of paper under the rack, is this. The sheet of paper will creep, after a few shots, and your practice will be disturbed by stopping to reposition it. You can always change ends of the table. You don't even have to position the Rack on a particular spot. You are learning to strike the cue ball at a spot on the lead ball of the rack. IF the ball has moved, you will still redirect your aim at that spot.

Folks, the reaction of the cue ball, off the BreakRAK, is not 100% perfect yet, its about 96%. The BreakRAK is a simulated rack and works very well. A multi-million dollar 747 Flight Simulator is not 100% perfect, but humans do learn to fly using using this simulator for practice. In defense of this small imperfection of the BreakRAK, I state. 1. When a better assembly is designed, my customers will be offered an upgrade. 2. The cue ball does carom into the side pocket, like the cue ball does off a real rack of balls. The cue ball does stop somewhere near center table when struck well. 3. Having the use of a practice tool, where you can repeat you actions to develop muscle memory is the perfect situation for learning.

Striking a certain point on the cue ball won't work for every table, every cloth and every condition. When you take your "learned muscle memory", to the poolroom, to compete, even the weather will cause you to make some minor modifications to striking that certain point. Having learned good cue ball accuracy and control after impact does make a difference in competition.

Every Pool Room should have one for their customers to train with.

The BreakRAK is used to develop MUSCLE MEMORY for performing a difficult shot, that uses lots of muscles. Trying to keep your head and or torso motionless while flinging your arm through the shot requires the interaction of lots of muscle groups. Training for this shot does help.

My new book, "The GREAT BREAK SHOT" will give the player lots of information to use in practice and competition. Joe Tucker's NEW &amp; IMPROVED book "Racking Secrets" is included, in it's entiriety, in my book, as Chapter 7. The book will be out of the printers very soon.

Go see the accessories page at www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com)

Eric.
12-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks you gear Ho, you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm gonna check it out for myself. Sounds like good stuff.

Eric

Sid_Vicious
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
I placed a whole sheet of mylar under mine and taped the edges down with scotch tape. I didn't want that assembled rack sliding back and forth as much as I could imagine that it would, and the Mylar did begin to show skid lines within days...sid

ceebee
12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi there Sid, I hope you put the "frosted side" of the Mylar face down, Mylar is so abrasive that it will actually put flat spots on the Pool Balls, which in turn create more friction , which will, in time, affect the action of the BreakRAK. More SURFACE = more FRICTION.

If the Pool Table cloth shows a whitish mark, it's probably the wax rubbing off the pool ball. Look closely and you can tell if the fibres of the cloth are actually being damaged or just impregnated with a wax buildup.

I like to use a cloth pad for sitting the cue ball on, for practicing the break shot... I have Simonis 860

If you do have a waxey buildup, you can remove most of it with a mild solution of Woolite, maybe a few drops in 2 tablespoons of clean water.

Be sure to clean your shaft well too. If you don't, you will get a slightly disclored buildup on the Long Rail where your cue shaft rubs. This area can be cleaned with Woolite too.

Chopstick
12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I've had my BreadRak now for a couple months and I am happy with the results. It may not be perfect but it does punish mistakes much in the same way that a real rack would.

Before I got the BreakRak I would spend three hours every Sunday afternoon racking and breaking balls. The fatal error of the cue ball arching off the one ball into the side is effectively simulated by the BreakRak. This in particular is what the BreakRak has helped me overcome. Scratches in the side almost never happen anymore.

Making a ball on the break has gone from 3 out of 10 to eight out of 10. About the same percentage of stopping the cue ball between the first diamonds below the side pockets.

I had a spare piece of Simonas 860. I cut out a square and put it under the Breakrak. The cloth hardly moves around at all. I do wonder if jacking up the BreakRak by one cloth width affects the outcome. It's seems to work fine though.

jt10ball
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
This BreakRak thing makes me sick! Sick I didn't invent it! 15 years ago! One of my biggest regrets in pool is not recording all my break practice. I swear I would be in the running for most ever. I use to pay a guy $20 an hour to rack up 8 tables and follow me around racking (I had the luxury of a closed pool room until 4pm). And before him I use to do hundreds on my own and this started when I was a "B" player, like 1988. I never developed a good break, that's how I learned all that stuff about reading the RACK and what spaces caused what. Anyways this BreakRak will save you time and money and will add to your winnings. I've had it for a month and started receiving compliments on my break after the first week. Players that have known me for years (and my weak break) are looking at me cockeyed and asking what happened? I just say BreakRak. But most of them haven't heard of it yet. I'm sure they will soon, especially here in the Northeast, cuz I'm gonna push it for this guy. He's really got a winner here. I also got a sneak peak at his Great Break Shot book and this guy is way ahead of the learning curve, he's got anatomy photos showing bone and muscle extensions! The case that comes with it makes it easy to travel with also, possible cue case for when you have to fly.

Fred Agnir
12-09-2004, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jt10ball:</font><hr> I also got a sneak peak at his Great Break Shot book <hr /></blockquote>I know you'd rather not have anyone accuse you of shilling Joe, so I'll do it for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those wondering when they get a hold of Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets, they can get it with Charley Bond's Great Break Shot Book. Charley has incorporated Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets II into it. I know many of us are glad for that.

www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com)

Fred

jt10ball
12-10-2004, 12:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jt10ball:</font><hr> I also got a sneak peak at his Great Break Shot book <hr /></blockquote>I know you'd rather not have anyone accuse you of shilling Joe, so I'll do it for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those wondering when they get a hold of Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets, they can get it with Charley Bond's Great Break Shot Book. Charley has incorporated Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets II into it. I know many of us are glad for that.

www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com)

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Ya got me

CarolNYC
12-10-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
multidot Aramith Pro Cup Ball <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Fred,
Someone just gave me a set of the TV pro cup balls with the spotted cueball-I thought the spotted ball would be a distraction when in reality,it turned out to be a good thing-I just wanted to say that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[ QUOTE ]
, I was immediately able to see what the cueball was doing without it getting wacked by another ball before I saw the spin <hr /></blockquote>

Yep!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif